main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HELP!! Advice on the best game console to purchase?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by smanigal, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    You know this thread could turn out into another useless console debate :p

2. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Gamecube!

Best controllers, best exclusives, best value, and Most FUN!!!! :D

3. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    My thoughts:

PS2- good for what few exclusive titles it has, such as the FF series. Decent controller, dvd playback, and some online play.
    <2nd favorite>

GC-well, I loved Nintendo till this came out. It does have a large ammount of SW games, but they're all of varying quality. It has good exclusive stuff, but I hate the controller. Not a fan, but a decent, cheap system.
    <third favorite>

Xbox-pwnage. I love the controller, the system, the games, love it all around.
    <first favorite>

Though, in my opinion, the PC still owns them all... :p

4. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    PC owns X-Box's furry little behind. And, to a lesser extent, GCN and PS2.

Ideally, get an emulator [eyes_roll] [face_plain] [face_plain]

5. J-327

J-327 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    I am glad I found this thread, because I was going to start a new one.

I am an OLD SW fan(perhaps even ancient, perhaps, based on this site's average visitor). I want help deciding on a console based on the kinds of games I like. The ones I have played and enjoyed on PC include Jedi Knight I and II, Dark Forces I and II, Phantom Menace, Star Trek Voyager (the last game released), and, embarassingly, the last Harry Potter game, even though it was way too easy and repetitive.

I like first-person shooters, but I like going around and finding secrets and figuring stuff out, not just shooting and blowing things up, though that's fun as well. I don't care much about online gaming, because I can't really compete with the kids, and it's enough enjoyment for me to just play alone. I like games that make me think, not just wear out my hands.

My eye is on the gamecube because it's small and less expensive. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

6. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    "I like first-person shooters, but I like going around and finding secrets and figuring stuff out, not just shooting and blowing things up, though that's fun as well."

How about a game that's both? Metroid Prime, exclusively on GameCube. Yeah, I'd say you're on the right track.

As far as the overall debate, yeah, it's all in what you want. Example: I want the Nintendo exclusives, and good RPGs. Hence, I have a GameCube and a PS2. And a computer, for anything that's not on those two.

Don't flame me, but the Box has nothing for me. Except a hard drive, but since you can't really port that over, it's kinda pointless.

7. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    "I like first-person shooters, but I like going around and finding secrets and figuring stuff out, not just shooting and blowing things up, though that's fun as well."

Doesn't every FPS these days have this? Well, maybe not the WWII ones, but most other FPS have this. There are plenty of secrets in JA and JO. I'm sure Half-Life had quite a few as well (old game, but still). RTCW also had plenty. I know these are mostly PC titles, but they still have secrets and puzzles to figure out along with shooting and blowing things up :)

8. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Here we go again. Listen to me, your a complete moron if you don't buy a ......... :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

9. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Hush you. No one's called any names...yet.

Seriously, I'm sure we can keep this civil. If people would just stop asking which console is the best one to buy. Yeesh! Don't people realize by now that it all comes down to personal taste?

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Listen to me, you're a complete moron if you don't buy a Sega Genesis.

11. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    I'd say wait until the next...nextgen systems come out...it's only about a year.

12. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think we can keep it from degenerating if we require everyone to mentions points about all 3 major consoles, rather than just their favorite, in order to justify their points.

I currently only own a PC and GC, but have been considering a PS2 or XBox for access to other games. I'm tempted to purchase an XBox with the Clone Wars game included.

Here are my current opinions on the comparison:

Graphics: XBox is theoretically superior to GC, but I don't think there are a huge gap. Both XBox and GC are well ahead of PS2. In the end, I think graphics have almost advanced enough such that it's not as big a deal as the generation jump from Atari/Colecovision/Intellivision to NES or NES to Genesis/SNES.

Processing power & internal RAM for processing and video rendering: XBox and GC are on par, and PS2 is highly inferior. PS2 has less RAM than the DreamCast did. This is where PS2 probably suffers most.

Online Play: To me, it does not matter since no current console is even comparable to the PC for online play. If I want to go online, I do it on the PC. If you want to go online with a console, the XBox is probably the way to go.

DVD capability: At this point, it does not make sense. For $50 you can purchase a standalone DVD player that is highly superior to any console DVD capability. Also, most PCs are equipped with DVD-ROMs, thus I would assume if you can read this you already have some form of DVD capability.

Price: XBox $180 w/ Clone Wars & Tetris, PS2 $180 w/ ??, GC $100 w/ Zelda demo disk.

Controller: I think in terms of function all three are about equal. In terms of comfortability and ergonomics I give it to the GC - except for the Z-button. For fighting games, XBox is superior with the arcade 6-botton standard. PS2 is essentially the same as the PS1 version, thus no improvements to the design imply it did not need any.

Game selection: Here is the real issue. All of the stuff above should really only be considered peripheral issue when making the choice. In my opinion, if you want Star Wars games you have to decide if you want quality or quantity. GC exclusively has RS2 and RS3, IMHO the best of the current SW console games out there, along with Clone Wars, Bounty Hunter and Jedi Outcast, but there are more SW games in terms of quantity on the other consoles.
    I got a GC myself because I knew about games like Metroid Prime and Zelda were coming out for it. Supposedly Super Mario 128 is in development as well. Some other great exclusive games include Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero GX and Mario Kart Double Dash. As for X-Box, the reason I'm considering getting one is to be able to play games like Legacy of Kain: Defiance, GTA: Vice City, and Knights of the Old Republic with a relatively modern console. I hear Halo and Halo 2 (XBox exclusives) are really good too, but I'm not a big FPS fan. As for PS2, many of the same good games on XBox are also on this console. The PS2 exclusives I would want to play are Soul Reaver 2, Maximo, Racer's Revenge, CastleVania, and Devil May Cry 1&2. The PS2 being so technically inferior though has made me rule it out.

Keep in mind that when I say exclusive, I am not considering the PC, since many "exclusives" are ported to the PC - I mean console exclusive. The problem I have is that upgrading my PC would cost a lot more than purchasing another console.

13. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    So much for this not degenerating into a this console is better than all others discussion.

Seriously, maybe he likes sports games. And can you be any more anti about sports games? If the GameCube is so great, why isn't it number 1? Oh that's right, because it's not so great. Just please stop. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The GameCube is definitely not the be all and end all of game consoles.

14. WildCard

WildCard Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2001
    [image=http://www.sexiestgamer.com/live/1130.jpg]

15. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Seriously, maybe he likes sports games. And can you be any more anti about sports games? If the GameCube is so great, why isn't it number 1? Oh that's right, because it's not so great. Just please stop. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The GameCube is definitely not the be all and end all of game consoles.

Well, the fact that he says he likes sports games in his first post kinda suggests that he does.

Maybe the Gamecube isn't Number 1 because of its lack of games compared to the other systems. That doesn't mean to say that it isn't the best. If the Backstreet Boys are No. 1 in the charts, I take it that they must be the best?

And stop what? Giving our advice about what system to buy? I thought that was what he was asking for?

Who said it was the be all and end all?

Your post smacks of jealousy, for some reason.

16. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    I love all three systems, but if your a hardcore sports gamer I suggest the XBox as all those franchise/season/dynasty mode you probably play take a ton of memory. With the XBox Harddrive you don't need 10 memory cards to keep all the stuff you what (I have 8 PS1 Memory Cards! Isn't that sad?), plus you still get a huge share of Star Wars goodness. Starfighter > RS in my book, and I hope they do an OT Starfighter one day.

If your just a casuel gamer who may only play a night a week I say get the GameCube. It's only a $100, and with the $50 GAmeBoy Player you can choose from the biggest game library of the three. The big sports title are still on the 'Cube, but it has the punyist Memory Card so that could get expensive.

17. J-327

J-327 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    I really appreciate most of your comments immensely. Thanks to Darth Kevin particularly! I understand these things can be contentious, but I wanted some opinions from other SW fans.

I asked for the GameCube for Xmas. The Xbox has some games I want to play as well, but I had to choose, and the main consideration really was price and portability. Our family sets a $100 limit for gifts, and I didn't want to be too greedy! (For once!)

My students had lots of opinions as well on this issue, but I think they were mostly stunned that their college English instructor, a female, no less, was into gaming. It makes perfect sense to me. How can you be interested in stories and not be interested in meaningfully immersing yourself in one?

I can hardly wait! I don't start teaching again until mid Jaunary, and my full course schedule doesn't begin until early February. I look forward to a few weeks of mind-numbing gaming. No papers to grade, no gifts to wrap. I'll stop to feed my husband and the pets, but other than that, it's pajamas and games for me!

I know for certain that someone in my family got me Bounty Hunter. I am, as the kids say, "stoked!"

Merry Christmas to all!

18. LordMasterVader

LordMasterVader Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2003
    Gamecube....

'nuff said :D

19. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    there is no such thing "the best console." its all subjective.

you need to look at which one has the games that you are most interested in. that is the best console. the best for you that is.

20. tim500

tim500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Get a PS2 & GC! They have the best games and the PS2 is cheap as for Online Play!

Zelda
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2
    All old PS games
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Mario Kart
    Final Fantasy
    Gran Tourismo 4
    Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
    Eye Toy
    Pro Evoloution Soccer 3
    FIFA 2004 (Best on the 'Cube!)
    All EA Sport Games!
    All ESPN Games!
    HP
    LOADS MORE!

And if you're asking Halo 2 and Rainbow Six 3 ... You've got a PC! Use it! (And they're cheaper on PC and better! FPS on PC rocks!)

21. tim500

tim500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Don't forget all the SW exclusives on GC & PS2!

And the only good SW Xbox game (KotOR) is also available on PC!

Microsoft have a console disguised as a cheaper PC. Don't be fooled.

And a Gamboy SP is wicked!

I spent a whole day playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and that old now new Mario Game on it.

Peace Out.

22. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    And stop what? Giving our advice about what system to buy? I thought that was what he was asking for?

Ok, I don't see them now, but there's a reason I mentioned being anti-sports. I swear the post before mine kept saying things like "unless you want sports games, but I don't know why you'd want those"

Who said it was the be all and end all?

One more time. The way the post read, to me, seemed like it was just saying how great the GC was and how bad the others were.

Your post smacks of jealousy, for some reason.

No jealousy. Have your GC. Have your X-Box. Have your PS2. I could really give a crap less which console people choose. But let's not sit around saying how much better one system is over another. If it was truely better, it would probably be doing better in the marketplace. It's not like anybody's got a monopoly on consoles. They each have their strong points. As has been said around here many times before, it all depends on which games you want to play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.