main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Help Americans Help Ourselves

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by PadmeCoen1138, Dec 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeCoen1138

PadmeCoen1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2000
    This might sound strange, but I have good reason to be posting this. I get the impression that most Canadians are very anti-Bush and that many of them were disappointed in the results of the American election. I am American, and I see just what a setback this new government will be to our country. This is why I urge Canadians not to push money into our economy by travelling here and buying our products. Perhaps this sounds like treason, but the only way to take back our country from the coup d'etat with which it was seized is to get rid of Bush in 4 years, and the only way that will happen is if our economy goes bad. I feel sorry for areas and buisinesses that might lose many Canadian tourists, but that's the way it will have to be. We have to hurt now so we can save our country in four years. You are not obliged to take my advice, but it would help America get rid of Bush, which would help the world greatly. (I remember hearing him say on TV last week that Canada is "not important to him.") Thank you, and have a good New Years'.

2. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, he's going to start a war soon enough that your population will finaly realise that republicans are only good at starting conflicts

3. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    Haha Bush doesn't need any help destroying the economy. He's already started before he's even sworn in by acting like some kind of prophet of disaster, telling everyone that the US is heading into a recession.

4. PadmeCoen1138

Aug 12, 2000
    You guys are right. Unfortunately, Thrawn, I can't do that- wouldn't wanna waste my bullet on Bush. ANd then we'd have Cheney as President- wait, he's already pulliong Bush's strings anyway. And the fact that our economy is going through it's slowest growth just as he takes office is not promising for re election. But you guys gotta help us; if Bush were to get a second term, that would be an embarassment not just for us but for the world.

5. PadmeCoen1138

Aug 12, 2000
    Bush couldn't wipe his own as*, he probably needs Cheney to do that for him, too. And we'll never get rid of the Elec. College, but we should reform so that in a close race states can break up their electors, like MAine does. If Florida could have done so, Gore would have won, and this whole mess wouldn't have happened.

6. PadmeCoen1138

Aug 12, 2000
    LOL and thanks for complimenting my signature!

7. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    AT60 --> there are numerous agreements in place dealing with the Great Lakes and acid rain, none of them having to do with Bush. The Great Lakes are in southern Canada (northern US), and Texas is in the southern US. If you want someone to blame for that, blame New York.

Cris~

8. PadmeCoen1138

Aug 12, 2000
    Acid rain isn't the only problem Bush wiill be giving the world.

9. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    The first acid cloud Bush should fix is the one in his head, leaving no fresh air or water for the brain.. uhm, that might explain the highly defective vocabulary... I think he and Chretien will see eye to eye on the vocabulary part... LOL :)

10. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    lol...
    sorry, still chuckling over the thought of Cristalia as a Bush supporter.

Look - let's call a spade a spade. Canada is not always pristine clean with the mean old US of A messing things up for us. In fact, Canada's been bugger'n things up for a while now when it comes to environmental issues.

The following is from www.cleanair.ca
    "Under [the Kyoto Proposal's] provisions, Canada has committed, by 2010, to cutting greenhouse gases by 6 per cent from 1990 levels. (In fact, we have failed utterly so far; in 1998, Canada's emissions were 13-per-cent greater than 1990 levels, and they continue to rise.) Smooth as ice, Canada is now pushing for a "flexible" approach -- a series of loopholes that would let us pollute more without breaking the law."

As for Bush himself,
    I have no doubt that the man's going to be a nightmare as far as environmental issues are concerned. But Cris~ is right in that he's had little to no impact on our own air quality. Texas' air quality has improved by 42% over the past 15 years. Most of the emmissions that cause acid rain are down. The big problem that Texas is facing is ground level ozone which is the cause of all that smog they're experiencing.

Give him time though, and I'm sure there will be plenty for us to criticise him for.

11. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Blame it on morning, blame it on my generally cranky nature of late, blame it on some hapless politician who is more of a symbol than a power...blame, blame, blame. Look. As Tragic aptly pointed out, I'm probably the farthest thing from a Republican you can find outside of Greenpeace. He is justified in saying that, because he knows me. We've talked face to face. He has firsthand knowledge of what my beliefs are, and isn't just inferring what they -might- be from one statement. Just because I'm not willing to place this ever-present -blame- for every issue in the known universe on one or two men who represent ideologies and not much personal power, it doesn't mean I support those ideologies. I just happen to know whereof I speak on this issue. My mother is the manager of Air and Inventories for Environment Canada, at least in Toronto. She has attended several meetings in the U.S. with regards to air pollution and acid rain. I attended one with her. It had absolutely -nothing- to do with Bush, Texas, Stockwell Day, Chretien, any level of federal government in the states -whatsoever-, or anyone else that certain individuals on this board seem to take an almost infantile glee in abusing where they're nice and safe, namely, behind the backs of said individuals. Having wearied of the incessant bashing of people whom I doubt anyone on this board is personally acquainted with, I chose to point out a hole in the logic of one of these arguments. I generally am the last person to object to political discussion, as I think it is a positive thing to be aware of what government is doing, and to hold an opinion on it. However, if it consists of nothing but the type of name-calling a fourth grade bully would be ashamed to indulge in, I personally feel it holds little value as anything but a waste of bandwidth. I also feel personally justified in calling it that, when the name-calling extends to any member of the forum holding a dissenting opinion. Let's just remember that everyone has one, whether we like it or not, and tolerance is a foundation of any successful society, be it geographical or online.

Cris~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.