Help! Fanfic Problems

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Neon Star, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Neon Star Jedi Knight

star 5
    I am embarresed to say this. But I seem to have a major problem. I have a lot of stories, as some of you have noticed, and I am very happy about that. But I am so blocked up on most of them and barely have the time I once had for them. I don't wish to drop any of them and yet I am afaird I might have to. Can anyone give me any help on how deal with this problem?
  2. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just choose a few stories to work on and put the others on a hiatus. Then you can rotate the stories and work on the ones you haven't worked on for awhile.

That's all I can suggest. :)
  3. Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Maybe get several author swaps.
  4. Vergere Jedi Knight

star 5
    i agree, just pick the ones you like most and write on them. the others aren't going anywhere and most likely your readers will stay with them :)

geez...how can you deal with that many fics?! i have one and i'm having problems keeping that at the top!
  5. Talon Squad Leader Former Manager

star 5
    I agree...maybe just put some on hold and finish them later. Also remember to not take on so many projects in the future so you don't have to be embarassed again.
  6. Yuuzhan_Commando Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'll take one! j/k, but seriously, do what Alderaan_ said.
  7. sabrelight Jedi Master

star 4
    Yea! Take up a couple which seem the most promising now, as for the others keep them on hold and add to them whenever a sudden plot twist or idea pops up but I'd recommend to update those secondary stories on your PC, so that when you've finished the first two you'll have a sizable story to post.
  8. Neon Star Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to hold off on most of my stories and repost them at a later time, proabably when they are finished. I am keeping the ones that are finished or have a stranger plot going for now.
  9. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well, this may not be popular to say in an era of instant gratification, :) but I personally don't post anything until I have written the first draft of the entire story. I've got about 8 going now, but until they're done, no one is going to see them except my beta reader.

This enables me to realize when I have situations, but no plots (a common problem of mine and of others, it seems), where the plot holes are, and, most important, if Darth RL takes over, I can quickly post a chunk to keep my readers happy.

This is my pet peeve. My favorite author on the boards has had us on a cliffhanger for 2 months, because RL hit her, and she hasn't had time to write the next section. :mad: And the problem with that is that, especially in a very elaborate plot, it's easy for the readers to forget who all the characters are after a while ("Was Lliwicki the bad guy? Or the guy that was giving them a ride to the spaceport?" "No, he was Prince Padamar's tutor.")

I know some people like feedback as they go along, but you can always tweak things or change things a bit, if someone suggest something.

Anyway, Neon, the advice for everything that's up now is good: just focus on one or two.

Me, I'm pulling up my floppy & working on mine. I am HOPING to have the first draft done in time for Halloween, since it's a ghost story. The one I'd planned to have posted by the 2000 Presidential elections is about 2/3 done, and I've hit a wall. Oh, well. Maybe I'll figure out how to solve the problem of that by the next Presidential elections. Meanwhile, there are lots of others I've got going...

Good luck!
  10. Jane Jinn Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'm with you, Renata! I don't post my stories until they're done, either, but nothing is set in stone. I have gone back and changed a few things at the end according to some of the comments that I've gotten at the beginning.

It's really frustrating to read a story that's started out well, only to see it abandoned because the author has suddenly come down with writer's block, has written herself into a corner, or has been vanquished by Darth Real Life. It's even worse if the story is near completion. Anybody remember "When in Rome..." by Bastet? She was so close to the end, and then pfft. No more posts. Nothing. And there are lots of other stories like that here on the boards--too many of them! The unfinished stories outnumber the finished ones by a vast majority and the readers are left frustrated.

If you're just bursting with ideas, why not post them at a plot bunny exchange somewhere, such as at the Fanfic Archive, or collect them at home while you concentrate on one or two stories at a time?

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.