Help for a disabled newbie

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Attichitcuk, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Attichitcuk Force Ghost

star 2
    2015 will be my first Celebration, and I'm brainstorming for costume ideas. Trouble is, I rely on a cane to get around, so whatever I decide on will need to incorporate a character-appropriate cane, staff, weapon, etc.

I'm too tall for Yoda and not skilled enough with the appliances for Palpatine. Basically, it comes down to this:
    - More textile than vacuforming/fabrication (tho some is ok).
    - EU is fair game
    - I'm only looking for walking-around quality here, not out to win any awards
    - A cane or something similar to lean on is required

Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    How about Kir Kanos from Crimson Empire? If you scroll down on the linked page it shows him with a staff/spear. He also used Kenix Kil as a bounty hunter alter-ego.

Also Lando had a spear/staff as a guard in Jabba's palace.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Aug 20, 2013
  3. Jabari Force Ghost

star 1
    Jedi with a lightsaber cane, like Peter Mayhew's. :)
  4. Maulested Force Ghost

star 1
    Imperial Royal guard? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor's_Royal_Guard
    Senate guard with the weapon of an Imperial Royal Guard? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_Senate_Guard

It's hard sometimes to make costumes when you have a disability. Be sure that whatever you make is sturdy enough to use as a cane. Safety and comfort is #1. I have fibromyalgia, a chronic pain condition, so I have to be careful when I wear anything heavy or tight that might hit my tender spots. I'm reworking my website and am starting a blog and I've had other costumers with disabilities contact me about writing an article offering tips and tricks. If you're interested or have anything to contribute, send me a PM.