main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help Generate the Fun

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    At the very core of this site, the whole reason we joined, was because we like Star Wars. Be it books, films, toys, or whatever your taste, it all comes down to that. We liked it so much that we found this site, went through the effort to register a username, and post in threads we enjoy.

We are all in this relationship together. But with anyything like this, if you don't revisit occasionally what it was that made you love this place so much in the beginning or occasionally try something new to spark some rekindled spirit in it all, it becomes stagnant and predictable.

This thread is all about generating fun ideas to make this place fun. No debates, no arguments, just talk of things to make the JC fun.

So here's all I'll ask. Tell me what forum is your absolute favorite or used to be. Tell me one idea, concept, idea, suggestion, etc... that would, in your opinion, be great for the forum or the boards as a whole.

This should never evolve into a debate. We have so many of those threads in Comms and I sometimes think we need to counterbalance that. This needs to remain simple so I can collect your ideas and do my very best to implement them or bring them to the attention of that forum's mods or regular members of that forum.

Let's get back to our grass-roots, create a New Golden Age, and talk fun. I want ideas. :)

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    A site-wide discussion as to the proper length of a Super Star Destroyer.

With both Purist and Completist angles discussed.

I think we could generate a USA Today article *solely* out of that!

EDIT: On reflection, I should point out I'm not kidding. I think this, if handled correctly, could demonstrate a wide-variety of ideas, sources, methods of problem solving, etc. which could be fun if handled properly (e.g. not a canon debate, but a measurement one)...

3. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Alright, here's one example of something that was received quite well in the 3SA and is credited solely to Grilled-Sarlacc. He would occasionally just start a poll, what he referred to as a Community Poll. It usually had nothing to do with spoilers. It might be something like which one is your favorite film. It just broke the standard mold of the forum and was fun.

4. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    My favorite area is the Senate.

As for the idea...I'll trust that you'll enforce the "no debate" rule.

One thing that I think would be great is to get rid of the restrictions on homosexuality.

Anata Baka?!

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    dp4m is, incidentally, lying. He knows as well as I do that such a beast would rip the JC apart at its very seams, unleashing a flame war not seen since the formation of the boards.

...Which would be kinda fun, come to think of it...

:p

6. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    To mix up the usual arguments, we should have a PT Gushers vs EU thread and Canon Vs PT Bashers thread.

That way, it realy won't matter when someone answers your points with completely unconnected gibberish!

Euwwer: "But the Death Star was designed by Thingy McBackstory then Delivered to the Geonosisians.."

Gusher: "Man, I love the CG Antmen, they roxxor! Doesn't it remind you of the film 'Them'?"

OR

Canonist: There can only be Two Dark lords of the Sith, all else is complete rubbish!"

Basher: "I hate Jar-Jar!!"

And so on. HILARITY WILL ENSUE.

UKS

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Okay, we have a Senate suggestion. Would lifting of that rule send a massive influx of fun? Or would something like a political game be fun? I know you're thinking and laughing about the Election Game. But I'm talking something different, some game where you have to debate as if you were an historical figure or something. I know that sounds silly, but that's what I'm looking for.

8. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    A Pirates of the Caribbean forum might generate some fun around here....

9. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    My fav forum is 3SA, no question.

What I would like to see is a forum solely dedicated to sports threads, removing them entirely from the YJCC.
    I think this makes sense and would also fit well with a post Ep3 Tfn in regards to establishing regular users who frequent often but might lose interest in the movies and SW culture after Ep3.

10. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

The JC needs more forum integration, not less.

UKS

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [face_laugh] @ UKS! :)

EDIT: UKS I, not UKS II... ;)

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey!!!! DL. Great to see you! :)

And when someone suggests an idea, please don't argue it. Let them all stay unless it's something that should go in another, more appropriate Comms thread. I don't want to filter through debate. I want your ideas. The ideas need to come from you. It's your JC.

13. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    "This thread is all about generating fun ideas to make this place fun. No debates, no arguments, just talk of things to make the JC fun.

[sighs]

14. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    Hey! Forum integration is always hilarious!

:(

15. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    UK SUllustian is right. WHen I was part of the machine, I tried my hardest to fight against the creation of new forums, so that posyters would be forced to coexist and not segregate into little forum clubs.
    It might be time to star talking about contraction.

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i'm planning on starting a new GAUNTLET game sometime this week or early next week. fun levels expected to soar.

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Epic - Great idea and it's being discussed in MS. That's what I'm talking about.

420, I want debate, thought-provoking arguments, and everything in between. That's what Comms is for. And when it's discussed, rest assured I'll chime in. I try to participate as much as possible in all Comms threads, especially if it's not about the 3SA. All points are valid. I may not agree with them but I am ultimately one opinion like everyone else.

All I want in here is a focused "Do X in this forum because it would make Y fun." :)

18. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

1. Make LOTR icons selectable.

2. Ban anyone who uses them

There's only space for ONE Fantasy saga on these boards!

Plus Krull.

UKS

OR Seriously, you could have a increase in "fun icon and colour" days. They always seem to go down well.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    More special icons/banner days.

Here's one I like. Change the color schemes for the boards and usernames more often.

20. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I want a Jack Sparrow icon...

21. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    and I want a Peter Parker/Spiderman Icon

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I want to ultimately collect this data and possibly put them back as polls in their respective forums. Let you decide, not always the moderators.

23. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Favorite forum: Fan Films

Thing to make this place more fun: Anything that can be done to keep down basher/gusher confrontation. Oddly enough this might result in MORE rules, not less (even though more rules sounds like something not fun), but... well.

Also... more importantly...
    ALLOW PARODY THREADS.
    Thank you.

Rick McCallum loves you!

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    What one thing would make the Fan Films Forum specifically more fun to you, Adam Bertocci?

25. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    The Amphitheatre steals all possible interesting music/movie/art discussions from YJCC... Delete Amph, and make it all go back to where it used to go, YJCC.

Also, changing banners every now and again for a day or so... I know it was great fun when Grilled put up the kick ass Mace Windu banner in 3SA for a few hours over the weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.