main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help Generate the Fun

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    //groan

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you UKS.

Bring it PM like a big boy and I'll favour you with some of my valuable time.
    Until then, please don't get the topic off.....topic.

2. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Hey, PM me! I'm interesting in knowing what I'm doing, too.

Josh

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    PM's away Josh.

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Most times when spoiler news hit the boards, similar threads start immediately at other sites that I will not name. Typically the news is discussed in an exciting manner at first and by the second page it turns into how the news is fake, we (TF.N) have no values, pictures are from Photoshop, and things along that line. Personally, I've come to accept all that as part of what comes with the territory. But whether or not I believe a spoiler, I don't bring up the credibility of the site owner. It's not really good form or a mature way of handling differences. I would especially never do that in public.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    So, can we start "generating fun" again? :D ;)

Any more news on the "Great Debate" idea? Actually, is there a link to the old one (or might that have been pruned by now?)

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    here's an idea: don't lock fun topics in 3psa.

7. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    If the site lacks Star Wars discussion it's becuase the film forums have been turned into Commuity forums to handle the influx of teenage posters.

It's quite obvious to say that the driving force behind these forums, Star Wars, has taken a back seat to teen-level social discussion over the past year or so. As such, people who want to discuss Star Wars and things that are generally above the teen level that proliferates around here leave for other boards, I can name 10 off the top of my head. Nobody's interested in Communications or wild new innovations, they're interested in colours and titles and icons, flirting with boys/girls and talking about how their teacher slapped them with detention yesterday.

That could be true in some cases,but like the SWC is serious,it's about star wars.it's not a bunch of silly topics like in JCC (again,no offence to anyone ;)) Myabe some people wouldn't care,but I care what happens around here,and I like to disscuss star wars :) and not just small conversation,I like to have serious disscussion too :)

8. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    SWC-serious? Uh, no. That's the least serious of the movie forums, and is known as the most light hearted of all the forums.

9. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The Star Wars Saga Forum is the serious Star Wars forum for items that span the trilogies, for example. All light-hearted, non-serious, and fun items are for the Star Wars Community Forum. Originally, all of the aforementioned items were housed under a single forum known as the Star Wars Miscellaneous Forum.

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    SWC-serious? Uh, no. That's the least serious of the movie forums, and is known as the most light hearted of all the forums.

I didn't mean it had serious debates,it is more light-harted.I just meant that it dosn't have the kind of topics the JCC does like "I ate pizza last night" I meant it had topics that have a meaning to them :)

11. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Lets face it people. Star Wars had died. It is no longer the thing it was 20 years ago. Only a handful of hardcore fans remain.

This site, like other SW sites, will sonn cease to be SW and will turn into a purely social forum. It is this sites destiny.

12. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Twenty years ago it was 1983, and THAT was the original death of Star Wars with the ending of the (original) saga.

For Star Wars corpse related issues, you're better off perusing the "Wilderness Years" of 85 to 89.

UKS

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    To go back tot he idea of splitting up each OT movie to its own forum, why it wouldn't work. So many topics that are discussed span over all three movies. You bring up a discusison point about ROTJ and people come in with points from both ANH and ESB to add to the discussion and so on. Yes, there are a few movie specific things you can discuss, but there's more that is OT as a whole discussion. Its better discussion wise to keep them all consolidated into one.

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Then perhaps after the release of Ep. 3 and the end of spoilers, the PT forums should all be consolidated.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

15. HaN___DoLO3

HaN___DoLO3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2003
    I'm not sure if any of this has been said already, since I only read the original post, but:

I enjoyed the Official trivia contests that have been held in various forums. But I would only participate in SW related contests. I realize it takes dedication and it's time consumming for mods, but more SW related trivia is a good thing to me.

I also like the new color schemes that have been going around (users names, topics). Changing that up from time to time is a good thing. Plus the new banners going up are amazing, too.

I enjoyed the "Talk like a pirate" layout, more days like that would be great. Maybe even sports related. Like Superbowl inspired banners, or NBA Finals. Whatever. Actually that might be lame. :p

If new ideas can stay specific to SW, I myself would enjoy it more. I mean, that's what we're here for.

But more "real life" (sports, news) topics or forums could be a good thing too.
    I'm sure the powers that be (here on tfn) are thinking to the future, after Episode III has come and gone...

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Why not the world series theme? Might be a bit of fun... take the sting out of the M's not even making the playoff this year....

17. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
  18. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Then perhaps after the release of Ep. 3 and the end of spoilers, the PT forums should all be consolidated.

After all three have been out for awhile and the overall excitment of them has died down, I would agree.

19. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Fewer forums.
    For a start combine TPM and AOTC forums.
    Combine YJCC, The Senate, and The Ampitheater.
    Mods can enforce very strictly that we are not to go off topic.

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Speaking only about the movie forums, the way I see it is the PT forums will ultimately be structured just like the CT forum. It may take some time to get to that point, but I can't see all six films being combined into one forum.

21. OBIX2

OBIX2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    Define meaning, because I think I'm missing it.

You know what I mean,most of them do.I wasn't trying to make a deal out of it or anything :).my point was that they're about SW,and Most topics make sence,I just meant that it isn't like JCC,where you can have a topic about almost anything ;) :)

22. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    But whether or not I believe a spoiler, I don't bring up the credibility of the site owner.

I agree with you on this Sapient, but the ****** fiasco hurt a little bit.
    I always felt TFN was a very credible site that meticulously filtered it's sources to make sure it was bringing it's constituents good reliable information.
    Considering the pics are still hosted at every other site that published them with no C&E in site, it makes one wonder if TFN is now hyping itself with fake materials and unseen C&E's that may or may not exist.
    If so, the highest levels of the administration would certainly be fair targets for criticism.

On a different note, is there any update on the feasibility of a Sports Forum at this point?

[edit: removed a spoiler name]

23. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    New Topic in the Lit Forum:

EU Character Underwear Speculation STRIKES BACK

No nudity allowed, but otherwise adult images (lingerie, swimsuits, anything so long as the women have some type of non-see-through clothing over the top, and some type of the same over the bottom; and the guys have the same on the bottom).

¤Night

24. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I really think a "random" thread button would be a good idea. I don't know what it would take to program a button like that, but it could span all of the forums. I post on the Episode 3 Spoilers board, and I lurk on many others. Maybe if that button was there, more people would be exposed to the other topics going on. More discussion = fun.

On second thought, lets not expose people. How about we "Introduce" them.

25. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I don't think that would be a good idea. First of all, for ignorant n00bs such as myself, it would probably take 50 clicks of that button to even find a thread that's not related to a Fan Force meeting in Mmbatho, Bothuthatswana or belongs in the Inactive Threads forum.

Secondly (I'm glad you mentioned the fact you're a spoiler-junkie) there's a good chance that someone would be spoiler-free but find themselves in the midst of a heated debate in the Episode III Spoilers Allowed forum. Not good.

However, some forums have indices which list many of the threads in that particular forum, arranged by category. All a user has to do is click on that thread, read down the list, and click on a link to the thread that they're interested in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.