main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Help] HTML program? FTP Upload program?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Skiara , Aug 29, 2009.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Since I couldn't find a topic close to my question, I start a new one. If it's wrong, just let me know.

Once I worked with Dreamweaver, which I enjoyed a lot - especially the WYSIWYG feature. Now I'm looking for a similiar but free program.

Does anyone has a good suggestion?

In addition I need a nice, simple and free ftp upload program as well. Emphasis on simple (and free). Which one would you suggest?

2. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I always use Dreamweaver, but I've heard of another program that is supposed to be really good, easy to use and free. It's called KompoZer and from what I can see, it's sort of reminiscent of Dreamweaver. It also has the WYSIWYG feature and a FTP site manager.

3. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    I don't really trust WYSIWYG and haven't touched any of them in years, but Dreamweaver was the best bet back when I was. (Granted, that was 2001, so no doubt things have changed.) Free options? Uhh... Well, if GIMP exists...

So maybe I shouldn't be answering, but I guess someone has to speak for the code-loving Mac users. :D

See, I just went to Mac full-time, and a webdev friend of mine recommended Coda and Smultron. I've primary been using the latter because it's free and I haven't been doing much heavy coding lately, but it's pretty bare-bones and doesn't stand up to Homesite. Coda is probably a better bet but I have yet to install the free trial.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you use Firefox, try the FireFTP add-on. It's free to download from their website. I use an older version of it and Firefox to do the banner and script loads here.

5. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I'll be honest. If you want to make websites that people take seriously, ditch the WYSIWYG. The reason for that, is because most often, WYSIWYG editors, especially dreamweaver, pollute your code with garbage making it harder to validate and do SEO (Search Engine Optimization) with. I would simply just learn to code by hand, and find a good text editor (Notepad ++ for Windows works great, as well as anything that comes standard with Mac or Linux). As for FTP, FireFTP is great, and failing that, there's FileZilla.

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    While I agree that one should learn some coding to make better websites, I don't think using a Notepad replacement is necessarily the best way to go about it. When I used Dreamweaver I quite liked using its Code and Design view to see what my pages (more or less) looked like as I coded them up. An IDE is a great tool.

That and a lot of people can't get their heads around code, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and another one for FireFTP. Useful little extension, that. :D

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I have to agree with Xan. I love writing my code in Dreamweaver, if nothing else than for the color coding and the auto-formatting capabilities. I used to write my code in Notepad all the time, but a program like Dreamweaver makes it pretty hard to ever go back. :p

8. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Well, if you mean syntax highlighting, Notepad ++ and Gedit (a default Linux Text Editor), as well as likely many others, have it.

But yeah, having the design view is nice, as long as you don't actually use it to make the webpage. I think that they should add an option to disable design view editing in future versions of Dreamweaver - I might start using it again if that was the case.

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    The problem with a lot of those visual editors is they add/truncate code in your design. I used to use Dreamweaver all the time, but I got so sick of how it formats things once you save I just couldn't do it any more. I've used Notepad++ for a year or two now and never looked back. :)

10. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Exactly my point. Pretty much.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I stick with the code view in Dreamweaver, and hardly ever use the design view. There are several perks to using it rather than a program like Notepad++. One would be the code hints boxes that pop up while you're typing. The other (which, for me, saves TONS of time when editing CSS files) is the Apply Source Formatting command.

I do a lot of style sheet file editing for the banners here on the boards. With a lot of the old banners, the syntax and the formatting in the CSS file is really screwed up when I first open them. But with that little command, I can instantly go from this...
    <pre>.BoardRowB {background: #ececec url(3SAgradient1.gif) repeat-x;
    font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 10pt;color: black;text-decoration: none}
    .BoardRowA {background: #cccccc url(3SAgradient3.gif) repeat-x;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-weight: normal;font-size: 10pt;color: black;
    text-decoration: none}
    .MainMenuRow {background: #000040 url(3SAgradient4.gif) repeat-x;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 8pt;color: white;}</pre>

to this...

<pre>.BoardRowB {
    background: #ececec url(3SAgradient1.gif) repeat-x;
    font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-size: 10pt;
    color: black;
    text-decoration: none
    }
    .BoardRowA {
    background: #cccccc url(3SAgradient3.gif) repeat-x;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-size: 10pt;
    color: black;
    text-decoration: none
    }
    .MainMenuRow {
    background: #000040 url(3SAgradient4.gif) repeat-x;
    font-size: 8pt;
    color: white;
    }</pre>

...and can immediately see where I need to make changes and/or insert new code. Also, Dreamweaver never alters your code when you use the code view.

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Be hardcore. Use VI. :p

13. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Ah, see I prefer the line-by-line approach when coding. Lets me see more of the style at once and I typically don't have lines that stretch too far on the wider monitor at work. Personal preference. :)

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I use FireFox and IE, so I'll try FireFTP, Laj. Would you mind me bothering you with questions about it, if it doesn't work like I want it to work? [face_batting]

About using WYSIWYG programs... Some years ago I worked a lot with html, but over the years I forgot most coding. Right now it's rare that I need to update my website, which isn't even supposed to be a high professional one, so I don't think it's worth to learn every single code again - just to forget it soon again.

I also got used to Dreamweaver at that time and I know that it made things easier.

That's why I'm looking for a nice little WYSIWYG program again.

The suggested Coda and Smultron are similar to Homesite, right? So the only suggestion for a WYSIWYG program is KompoZer so far? Does anyone has experience with that one as well?

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Feel free to ask. I found it quite easy to pick up.

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks! :)

17. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Notepad++ is a good free text editor to use. It doesn't have the WYSIWYG features of Dreamweaver but it does have the color coding. For FTP I use either FileZilla or WinSCP. They're both free and pretty easy to use.

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Add another vote for FileZilla - I've never seen a more extensive (free) FTP application.

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It's the best one I've found too other than WinSCP. The only thing I don't like is that apparently FileZilla will store your password in plain text so make sure you don't save your password when you enter your FTP info.

20. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Pffft, VI. I prefer Emacs. I suppose we must now duel to the death. :p

Speaking of Emacs, back in my day, that's what we used to code our own FTP programs from scratch. Which we did while typing outside, walking uphill in the snow.

21. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Sounds like when I got started in web design. There were no color monitors. It was only black and white and you were thankful to be able to see shades of gray.

[face_laugh]

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    When I took programming at technical college we still had punched cards. I didn't 'graduate' to using a green-on-black CRT screen until I got my first programming job. With my typing that made me a whole lot more productive!

23. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Ahhh, punchcards...those were the days.

:p

I kinda like Dreamweaver's built in FTP/Site Manager as well.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Unlocked/upped by request.

25. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I think this is the best place to put my question regarding HTML editing programs.

I've been a big fan of Dreamweaver for such a long time. I've got the background knowledge to know how to code stuff by hand, but why the hell would I want to spend my time doing that boring stuff, right? Design is primarily about the design. I want to get in there and make things pretty... or as pretty as I can manage, anyway. :p

Dern CS4, which I really just started messing with, took away the table layout mode from Dreamweaver. I thought it was something I had done at first... some minor research later, and I figured out that it's gone, baby, gone. Adobe dumped the feature and says it's for the best.

When I want to design, I don't care about how efficient my tables are. I've got some pretty elaborate pages in existence from CS2 that look like the world's most complex maze in CS4, and this just isn't working. The rows and columns and tables aren't color-coded or anything anymore in design mode. I can't tell what's what until I go into the code... contrary to Adobe's wish that I get with the program and hand-type it all in there, I can do that in Notepad and didn't need to waste all of that money on Dreamweaver in the first place.

My question is about alternatives, and preferably open-source alternatives. I've downloaded KompoZer and tried it out... it's got the table-editing capabilities on the sidebar for size and whatnot. An easy right-click in the table can insert rows and columns above or below the current selection. All in all, it's a decent fix for me while I'm in this bind, but I'm looking for something that is nearer to Dreamweaver's old table layout mode. Draw, drag, re-size, done.

Is anyone familiar with this feature in other programs, or do other programs, like KompoZer, have suitable alternatives that I might appreciate since I don't want to plug in tags all day long making a single table?

Thanks in advance, y'all! :)