main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help linking Geocities to Spaceports

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by djr33, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    I just started a web site (www.geocities.com/danfilm33). I am using geocities to host my site and spaceports to host files, so I have more free space. When I try to link to a file at spaceports from a page at geocities, I go to an error message at spaceports.com. The address is right. (If typed into the address bar, it goes right to the file.) I've tried everything I can. Also, if I have already been to the file (by typing its address in the address bar) in that window, it opens fine if the link is used. Does anyone know what is going on?
    Help,
    -Daniel.

p.s.: Try it for yourself: The file is at http://galileo.spaceports.com/~danfilm/JOteaserA.mov, and the page is here. (The link is attached to "TeaserA (353 KB/36 sec.)". Also, all four trailers have the same problem.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Spaceports probably has remote linking blocked. A lot of free websites do that to keep their bandwidth costs down.

3. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    "Does anyone know what is going on?"

They took measures to prevent people from doing what you're trying to do.

4. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    Is there any way around this? By the way, if the link is clicked the error message comes up, BUT IF IT IS RIGHT-CLICKED, AND "SAVE TARGET AS..." IS SELECTED, the file downloads succesfully.
    Any Ideas,
    Thanks,
    -Daniel.

5. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    Put it all on one server. How much space do you need?

6. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    One way to get around stuff like that is right click the link and 'open in new window' (or open target in new window, ect).

7. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    Is there any way to program a link so that it functions like "right-click open in new window"?
    By the way I did find a way to shortcut the problem: On the "Jedi Oath" (original) page, I made a link to a PAGE (-not a file - .mov, etc.) at spaceports and on that page added links to the files at spaceports. So, I created a link to a "download page" which is now linked to the files. Not perfect, but who cares... it works well enough.
    Also, I want feedback on the site (www.geocities.com/danfilm33), so PM me, email me at the site or at djr33@fanforce.net. Thanks,
    -Daniel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.