main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Help me make a life decision

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, May 15, 2014.

?

I cat should aquire?

1. yes

29 vote(s)
    87.9%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I've been looking to adopt a cat and the long story short is that I found one that I really like but it's 3 years old which is above the range of what I was looking for. I don't really like things dying on me right away. By "really like" I mean it matches all my needs and looks like a gremlin flat faced persian of my dreams. Should I get the cat or keep looking. Also there's the added pressure that the owner is desperate to get rid of it because she has other incompatible animals, and I don't want to see it end up getting put to sleep.

FYI I've had cats my whole life but this is the first one that will actually be mine/my responsibility and not someone else's SO THIS **** IS A BIG COMMITMENT.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Please adopt the cat that is stalking my family.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Three years old is pretty young for a cat. If age is the only issue, get the cat.

AaylaSecurOWNED, Rew, MrZAP and 4 others like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Three is nothing. Get it assuming you can take care of it. But then again, you sound about fifteen in your post and I thought you were about 25.

And don't forget, it means you need to make arrangements when spending even a night away.

MrZAP, Point Given and Rosslcopter like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Get the cat. Cats can live up to 20 years. Plus, most people hold out for kittens so a lot of really awesome cats end up getting needlessly put to sleep. anakinfan is right/... three is really young, for a cat.

Rew, MrZAP, Darth_Invidious and 3 others like this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Do it.

Many many cats nowadays live to 17-19.

When I was a "wee little girl" :D our cats never got shots, ran outside without supervision - and lasted 3-5 years.

My first cat as an adult/my sole responsibility only went outside on leash, very occasionally, got his shots and lived to 18, nearly 19, all but except 2 months healthy and most of those two months not bad. When he died, I went back to this cat board I occasionally participate in, and it was not uncommon for most of their cats to live to at least 17.

Hence I had no hesitation in adopting two cats, age unknown, but 1-4 best guess.

However, as traumatic a Sam's loss was, I was not ready to adopt a "senior cat" which I define as age 12 and over, and really senior 15+.

Edited to add: all my cats were okay alone for 3 days/2 nights.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Alright you guys are awesome. I had asked my parents first and they reminded me of the cat we adopted when I was a kid that died in a few months later. They said there's a good chance of that happening again D:

FEAR CONDITIONING.

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Can you afford vet bills?

Rew likes this.
  10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    What if the cat hates you?

11. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah yeah I can afford vet bills. I mean if the cat gets something that costs an insane amount of money, no I can't afford that...I don't think most people can with that though. The occasional bill though, yes.

12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Just get it, for God's sake!

)though, to be honest, a black cat would seem more your style...)

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Eh...vet bills.

One of my two was rescued from a hoarding situation and was being treated for ear mites (free medicine came with her). I got a free check up for each cat. Vet wanted Brandy to go onto a different medicine ($) and at their first check up, both cats cost more than 4 new tires for the car (purchased a few months previously). But that was a good vet with a thorough physical and Brandy needed another tooth extracted as well. Future annual physicals will probably go to the walk-in (shot updates, etc.)

Sam always went to the walk-in vet and cost me like 20 a year, until he had to go on special food for two years (not that much more expensive than regular cat food, but still more, for kidney issues).

14. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    How is something that looks like this not my style?

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee, Rew, MrZAP and 8 others like this.
  15. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    If age is your only worry and the cat is a match with your personality, then get it. Get it. GET IT!!! A three-year-old cat is a young adult. It might make you happy for another 15 years. :D

Valairy Scot likes this.
  16. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Subject to de-sexing and verification of no strange coffee drinking/hoarding/stealing habits, I'd get the cat. Particularly if the cat is in danger of being executed if it doesn't find a home.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is a good choice.

The only reason you should hold out is if you can get one of those cats whose excrement is fancy pants coffee, because then you'd solve two problems at once.

jp-30 likes this.
  18. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    We adopted a 7 year old cat and he was the best tempered cat we ever got.

I don't regret missing the young cat stage at all.

If you like him, go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Aside from the fact that I can't comprehend why anyone would ever want a cat, do it.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Kiki, cats approach being a pet like you approach having a job.

Kiki-Gonn and Healer_Leona like this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As long as the cat a) looks grumpy, b) will claw the people at your whims and c) will not drink your coffee you should be golden...

Rew likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Cats are really easy to take care of as long as they don't get sick or injured. The best preventative measure regarding that is probably not feeding them crap like Friskies.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  23. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I don't know you at all, but get it, please. Cats make it to 15, minimum. You won't regret it.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Eeee no friskies of course. What are the better brands though? I can't afford the really expensive stuff, but I don't want to give crap food as well. Is there a mid tier? (I have been googling this stuff too but there's some conflicting answers)

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Cats can save your kids from dog attacks.

Rew, Ulicus , darthdrago and 3 others like this.