main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Help me make a life decision

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, May 15, 2014.

?

I cat should aquire?

1. yes

29 vote(s)
    87.9%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]
    Nice kitty.

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Actually I have to take her to the vet next week for shots. She hates the vet and sunk her teeth into my hand after the first visit. I still have the scars. I give her some small steaks for dealing with the vet. That way she doesn't say so pissed off at me.

3. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    What a naughty pussy.

4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    hey one of my dogs name is diva. don't know why the previous owner chose that name, but it fits her. if anyone besides her "selected few" calls her, she will go in a big circle around them to avoid them.

harpua likes this.
  5. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Assuming you haven't gotten the cat yet, I vote yes. I would love to get a flat faced Persian myself but I already got two. And um, regarding the diet, your vet might have a list of the best brands and particular flavors you should feed your cat, so I'm sure you can find something in your price range.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What in the world? [face_laugh]

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Relevant... and awesome.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I found the cat on a rescue site, this owner found the same cat on this site too...she adopted it in September along with another cat that was listed as bonded with her. She said they didn't behave bonded, and this cat attacked that one all the time. In March she started locking this cat into the bedroom with food/water. I feel pretty bad for it honestly, it sounds like a scared cat in a hostile environment. And since it's purebred it can't possibly be part feral or anything as an excuse to the behavior. The owner can't "catch" it to take recent photos since she first adopted it, which is making me feel worse about the situation (also a little suspicious, I bet that's why she hasn't dropped it off at a shelter yet). If I do take it, I'll probably have to get it shaved and all that stuff because the fur looked so long there's no way it doesn't have mats by this point.

On the other hand now, this cat is really far away from me and I feel kind of weird going to someone's house (even with my bf) to get ahold of a cat that she can't even control. I'm not the strongest person so if I had to get it into a cage on my own, not sure I could. And thirdly, a hoarding situation was just cleared up so there's hundreds of kittens/cats at a shelter much nearer that are being killed immediately. Dead kittens that didn't even get a chance to live :(

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... that's a tough call. You really have to meet a cat before making a decision to adopt. We selected a cat we found on the Humane Society website, and when we went to meet her (you get to go into a little room and hang out with them), she was really unfriendly, tried to scratch my son, and waited by the door waiting to bolt whenever it opened. That wasn't a good match, obviously, so we looked at other cats. We walked past Diva's glass box, and she made eye contact and pawed the glass at us. When we went into the room, she bonded with us right away.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Just remember this: should you die in your home and nobody notices for a while after, your cat will eat your body.

Sleep tight!

11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    This is timely as I worked from home this morning. That means I took a 4 mile run and am headed to the cafe to read comic books.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's probably true of any animal.

13. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    At least you don't have to worry about your cat starving after you're dead. The cat should be able to hold off until the body stinks and the neighbors call the police.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  14. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah but you're dead, so why does it matter

Sith-Lord-Gunray and harpua like this.
  15. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    You never know, CNN may go full on derp until your body is found. Would you really want Nancy Grace dragging your memory through the mud like that?

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why settle for just a cat when you could get a tiger?

17. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    My neighbor had a few mice in her house so she asked my landlord and he directed her to me and my cat. My cat spent a few hours in the basement and the house and the woman never had a mouse problem again. This was a few months ago.

My cat doesn't get along with other cats. Not cool at all. Would make it easier to have my parents cat sit when I am away.

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I just took in two troubled cats that were at the kill shelter here and they were bonded. They don't act bonded necessarily now, but they do stay in the room together away from us and our other 2 cats until they are more social. Cats will warm up to you just by hanging out with you and taking in what you do, especially when they figure out you feed them. What we were told is to let them get used to you at their own pace, but my bet is get this guy (or gal) home and after a month or so, he's your best buddy. The two we have are severely traumatized and the rescue group thinks they were either abused or used in labs, one is still very wary and hides but is getting better about hiding in open spaces, the other one was in really bad shape and almost died at the vet, but she has taken to coming out to greet us when we come in with the food. Long story short, I wouldn't worry if it's not extremely social as long as it's not super aggressive, it will get there. I'd definitely take it if you can catch it. As far as age goes my black cat that I had for 14 years just died at 18. If they stay indoors they are long lived pets.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided this kitty was a no go, only because once I decided to get it I then found out that it would be a 3 hour bus ride to where she's at....I thought it was much closer. :( No way I'm taking a terrified cat for a 3 hour bus + train ride. I'm taking all the advice into account though, especially the age part when I do choose one. Just going to keep an eye on distressed craigslist kitties + shelters nearby.

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Yeah, they can be quite noisy when in a vehicle, especially cooped up in a pet carrier on top of that.

21. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    What about your local shelter? You could have yourself a new cat within a few days.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

23. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Honestly it just sounds like the cat is being environmentally conscious, reusing resources and all that.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But only if your body is a plane.

25. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Or a halfway decent looking white woman. Nevermind the fact that hundreds of average and downright ugly people of all ethnicities go missing everyday, missing white women will trigger CNN's derp mode.