main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help me pick my first 4 Gamecube games!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Whimper, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dilbert627

dilbert627 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    1. Metroid Prime
    2. Eternal Darkness
    3. Rogue Leader << Must-own if you're a Star Wars fan (and since this is TFN, I assume you are ;) )
    4. Wave Race

2. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Admiral_Thrawn60 said...
    I definately recommend Zelda over Metroid. I think most people are recommending Metroid because they don't realize that Zelda is already available to you, being in Japan and all.[hr][/blockquote]

This makes me think 2 things:

1) You've already played the Japanese version of Zelda, and liked it.

2) You don't like Metroid.

Well, here's the thing. I don't mind getting the Japanese versions of Mario or Street Fighter, because I really won't have to understand that much in them. One's a platformer, one's a fighting game. Pretty basic.

But with Zelda, a great deal of my enjoyment comes from being able to understand the dialogue, and the story (not to mention the written stuff everywhere). I know a little Japanese, and I'm learning more all the time, but even what there is in Mario is a little too tough for me. And even the stuff I could figure out, I usually just skip over because it takes so long.

I wouldn't want my first experience of Zelda on the GCN to be frustrating and incomprehensible. Which is why I'm waiting for the US release.

Aside from that, I've loved every Metroid game I've played.

[blockquote][b]DarthBobbalot said...[/b][hr]fighting is an actual sword fight with Ganon at the end[hr][/blockquote]

Thanks for the great big fat SPOILER WARNING you forgot to put there. [face_angry]

[blockquote][b]Rogue_Squad_Leader- said...[/b][hr]buy an xbox[hr][/blockquote]

If I had wanted an xbox, I would have bought one. I didn't want one, and I still don't want one. I don't like the controller. I hate the look of the system. I'm not a fan of Microsoft. I have a kick ass PC already for PC-type games. I don't like Halo. Halo is the only game on Xbox. I like Nintendo games. I can't play them on X-box. I like Nintendo's controller. Xbox games are nearly impossible to find here in Japan. My Japanese friends don't like Xbox.

Do I need to go on?

Xbox wasn't in my thread title, so kindly please stay on topic, troll.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    This makes me think 2 things:

1) You've already played the Japanese version of Zelda, and liked it.

2) You don't like Metroid.

I havn't played Wind Waker, but I enjoyed the other Zelda games, and I heard that this one is really good. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Metroid. I have Prime and I think it's overrated.

4. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    (outdated post)

5. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    Well, I ordered my games from EBgames.com 3 weeks ago, and my order is "on hold waiting for authorization."

I gave these bozos my credit card #, and they won't even return my emails. [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

I had no idea that Mario and Street Fighter were going to have to last me for a whole month...

6. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I would add another vote for number 4 for animal crossing. I got that for Christmas and it's really addicting. If you've ever played any of the Harvest Moon games, this game is somewhat like that except:

1) You're not a farmer, so no boring farm chores.
    2) There's no dating sim mini-game.
    3) There's are literal tons more to customizate available in this game-Not only can you completely decorate your home (walls, floors, all furniture, and eventually you can choose to enlarge it, put a basement on, etc), but you can also change the town song, villiagers speech, etc. It really is an amazing game.

Basically, it's a social game. Very odd, and other than Harvest Moon, which it resembles in only the smallest of ways, there's nothing to compare it to.

However, it does take up an ENTIRE 54 block memory card. In the US, the game comes with one, but I'm not sure if the same thing holds true internationally. Definatively worth picking up if you have some spare money, though.

Pikmin is a really good game as well, but be warned it's short as hell. Better to get that one used, IMO.

7. Chaotic_Jedi

Chaotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    1)Metroid Prime
    2)The Legend of Zelda: Wind Walker [if it is out when u buy the games.]
    3)Mario Sunshine
    4)Phantasy Star Online
    5)Super Smash Bros Melee

8. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    Okay, just to clarify:

I've already bought the games- they just haven't arrived in the mail yet. (Stupid Ebworld.com).

So now I own, more or less:

Super Mario Sunshine (J)
    Capcom vs SNK 2 (J)
    Metroid Prime (US)
    Eternal Darkness (US)
    Tony Hawk 4 (US)
    Super Smash Bros Melee (US)

I'm still seriously looking at picking up Animal Crossing, seeing as I really liked Harvest Moon. But I've been told that a big part of the game is the whole "sharing with your friends" aspect. And I have no friends.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well since you have already chosen i shall go over the games i own

super monkey ball......great MP, challenging, if simple single player
    timesplitters 2, great MP, average single.......i've clocked it on easy and on medium.......the time trials and hard will eb more challenging i am guessing, if its anythign like Bond
    007 agent under fire, average MP (the low gravity mode is good), average single player--not much skill needed
    rogue leader, good fun, easy to clock on easy, but again, clocking on hard takes longer, and adds to replay
    clone wars, single player can be fun, great graphics, but Multi is great, especially conquest---can spend hours playing that game
    luigi's mansion......average all over, pretty though
    red card soccer ---interesting controls, only 2 player though.....got it really cheap
    crazy taxi, again, got it cheap, fun though, straight port from dreamcast as far as i can tell

games i plan to get soon
    eternal darkness, resident evil

games i will get, but can't as not released in PAL yet

Super monkey ball 2, animal crossing,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.