main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help me with a Zabrack latex mask

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Valmar, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Valmar

Darth_Valmar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    I dont wanna use a cap or go hairless, and I want to not to look like maul's horn pattern...

2. Darth_Valmar

Apr 20, 2005
    bacisly i want to make the horns and i got a pic to help you all see what i mean but i have to e-mail it to you...

3. Darth_Valmar

Apr 20, 2005
    I also wanna make it look a little cybrogish, will have pic soon...

4. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    you can host your pic for free on www.photobucket.com, that way we can all see what you mean.

5. Siths_Herald

Siths_Herald Minnesota CR, MNFF Co-Leader star 2

Jan 5, 2004
    I've done this with a Zabrak mask. It started out as a Maul mask I got form a friend. I did not like the way it fit as it was so I cut off the neck portion so the bottom of the mask basically follows my jaw line in the front and hair line in the back. Then I threw a few stitches in the back to tighten it up a little.

This mask also had the fake looking yellow eyes with small slits. I cut those out to improve my range of vision. I wear black greasepaint on my neck and around my eyes.

Leading up to this, I had tried the makeup and bald cap, but I just did not have the skill and time to do it right.

Close up, it looks like a mask, but get a lot of comments from a distance. Here are a couple pics.

2004 Anoka,MN Haloween parade (I'm in the front row, right side)
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/MNforce/2004%20Anoka%20Halloween%20Parade/group.jpg]

2004 Anoka, MN Haloween Parade
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/MNforce/2004%20Anoka%20Halloween%20Parade/whatarewedoinghere.jpg]

ROTS Opening day, Coon Rapids, MN
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/MNforce/Episode%203%20Opening%20Day%20-2005/42.jpg]

ROTS Opening day, Coon Rapids, MN
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/MNforce/Episode%203%20Opening%20Day%20-2005/45.jpg]

ROTS Opening Day, Coon Rapids, MN
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/MNforce/Episode%203%20Opening%20Day%20-2005/61.jpg]

6. Darth_Valmar

Apr 20, 2005
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/b177/D_V/?action=view&current=sith.jpg] Here is my horn idea

7. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    Siths_Herald: where did you get your Maul costume? Sewed it yourself; bought it at store; had it custom tailored?

8. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    I made it myself. It started life as cargo pants, a hooded sweatshirt, some pleather, and "ahem" a bath robe. (looks around embarrased).

The boots were actually two different pairs that were cut down and pieced together to make them look slightly un-earthlike.

The saber is a Hasbro saber. I extended the hilt with some PVC components to make it a little more to scale lengthwise, and fitted it to accept wooden dowels for the blades. I covered them in dayglow orange/red tape for the day events. I am planning on recovering them in red reflective tape, which should look better at night with flash photos.

It was about a week of heavy modifications to get the costume as you see it. It's not close to authentic close up, but the kids love it.

9. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Darth Valmar, looks like your image did not come in right, but I went out to the site to check it out. I can think of a couple ways you could make that, assuming you would be starting with a bald-headed mask.

The first is to make the horns out of Sculpey. If you bake a scew into the horn from the bottom side, you could then remove it, poke a hole in the mask, and screw the horn to the mask from the inside.

Also, last year I was cruising costume shops and saw that you can buy ready made latex horns in various sizes (I assume for the ever popular devil costume). You could pick up some of these and glue them to the mask with spirit gum or something.

My $.02.

Good luck.

10. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    [edit] never mind......

11. Darth_Valmar

Apr 20, 2005
    Siths_Herald: I have not seen any horns like my art work anywhere, but i want them just like them, and i cant make them myself cause I suck at making them (i already tryed)...

12. anyte

anyte Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    What method did you try to make them? I make various prosthetics for different projects, I might be able to help. Can you post a working link to your art work?

13. Darth_Valmar

Apr 20, 2005
    I use the method Siths_Herald said about how to make the with screws in them, in fact I dont need a mask anymore I just need to make or have made screw horns, now I like to also put 3 nuts on a screw thats 1/4" long in horns like the ones on my art of a sith zabrak, It's just I can't make them like a bone look, I want them to be realist look but I can't... Any help here...

14. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Years ago, before I had the mask, I did a hooded Maul costume once. Since it had the hood, only the horns in front needed to show, so I built a "crown" out of wire and SuperSculpey. The color of baked SuperSculpey is not all that far from bone white to begin with, but since mine was Maul, I painted them with various yellow and blacks until they looked okay.

I think the key to making them look like bone is more in the sculpting details than in the color. A set of gloss black horns could look pretty wicked too.

15. Darth_Valmar

Apr 20, 2005
    Thanks for everyones help...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.