main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help me write a fan film...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Emphram, May 13, 2015.

1. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014
    Hello folks,

for years now, since I first saw Troops, I have desired to make a fan film. There has been a lot of challenges on the way, such as the lack of money. However, over the last two, almost three years, I have been able to slowly collect skills and equipment, and have been building a small studio. This has been a long and slow process, but finally, next week I will receive one of the last pieces of equipment (a mini jib and a camera stabilzer), afterwards, I will begin familiarizing myself with them. Months ago I had a crowdfunded campaign, that even though I did not reach my goal, the few funds that I did gain, were very helpful.

I am now experiencing writers block, and call upon the community to help me make a story worthy of producing. It goes without saying that my budget will be limited, and I do not have the time or skills to do advanced visual effects (i.e. animated characters, although, I have some ideas on how to speed up the process for characters such as stormtroopers), but basic greenscreen can be done (I am building an infinity green room with motion track points and already have proper lighting, I am also capable of creating realistic building /ship interiors). Lightsabers and blasters are in.

I don't need an elaborate story that is completely fleshed out, just pointers, portions of plots, whatever sounds good, and I can develop them from there. Ideally, a basic synopsis would be great.

I appreciate everyone's contributions.

May the force be with you.

2. kanan katarn

kanan katarn Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 4, 2014
    Hello
    In my recent desires to create a fan film of my own, I have come to realize how big of a hurdle it will truly be. So I would love to assist in other works in any way I can. I don't have a ton of video experience, but I have taken a few classes and have done some work of my own. Like I said I will help in any way I can. I have never written sci fi let alone star wars but I would love to. PM me and maybe we can toss some ideas around!

Emphram likes this.
  3. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    It is so good to hear that people are still thinking of Troops.

The best way I know of defeating writer's block is to stand up and do something else. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes weeks, but pay attention to the things that are important to you, think about the kinds of stories that move you and before long you'll realize the type of story you want to tell.

While this forum isn't exactly the thriving hive of scum and villainy it used to be, one of the most repeated lessons you will find is that if you want assistance on your film, you need to prove that it's worthy of assistance. Having gear and learning is great, we've all been there and had to do it, but show the people that you are able to do the things you promise, and more help will come.

Good luck!

4. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I have plenty of ideas and think logically so you can talk to me about it if you want but I'm not sure you know what you are wanting to do. I've not seen Troops or what ideas you have in your head. So go back and dig deep into what your first idea was and why you wanted to make a fan film. Then do something else and a solution will present itself. Good Luxk