main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help...need an excerpt from The Last Command...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by EmilieDarklighter, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I need an excerpt from The Last Command by Tim Zahn for a story I'm writing...does anyone want to be really nice and type it out for me? I know there are HTML documents of the books out there, somewhere, but something tells me they are a tad bit illegal...I've loaned my Thrawn Trilogy books to my best friend for the summer, and I need this badly!

I need to see the part at the end where Mara asks Luke to kill her if the battle goes amiss. This is for a missing moment story...

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Pg 346-347 in my hardcover copy: Lando and Artoo have just left leaving Luke and Mara alone.

"It's not just going to open up for you" Mara said from behind him.
    "Artoo's going to check it out," Luke told her, peering at her face. "You all right?"
    He'd expected a sarcastic comment or at least a withering glare. He wasn't prepared for her to reach out and grip his hand. "I want you to promise me something," she said in a low voice. "Whatever it costs, don't let me go over to C'baoth's side. You understand? Don't let me join him. Even if you have to kill me."
    Luke stared at her, an eerie chill running through him.
    "C'baoth can't force ou to his side, Mara," he said. "Not without your cooperation."
    "Are you sure of that? Really sure?"
    Luke grimaced. There was so much he didn't know yet about the Force. "No."
    "Neither am I," Mara said. "That's what worries me. C'baoth told me back on Jomark that I'd be joining him. He said it again here, too, the night he arrived."
    "He may have been mistaken," Luke suggested hesitantly. "Or lying."
    "I don't want to risk it." She gripped Luke's hand tighter. "I'm not going to serve him, Skywalker. I want you to promise that you'll kill me before you let him do that to me."
    Luke swallowed hard. Even without the Force , he could hear in her voice that she meant it. But for a Jedi to promise to cut someone down in cold blood..."I'll promise you this," he said instead. "Whatever happens in there, you won't have to face him alone. I'll be there to help you."
    She turned her face away. "What if you're already dead?"
    So it was down to this; the same battle she'd been fighting with herself since the day they met. "You don't have to do it," he said quietly. "The Emperor's dead. That voice you hear is just a memory he left behind inside you."
    "I know that," she snapped, a touch of fire flickering through the cold dread. "You think that makes it any easier to ignore?"
    "No," he conceded. "But you can't use the voice as an excuse, either. Your destiny is in your hands, Mara. Not C'baoth's or the Emperor's. In the end you're the one who makes the decisions. You have that right...and that responsibility."

Han then joins Luke and Mara.

Hope this helps!

3. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Thank you!

-Emmi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.