main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help needed with this rain/lightsaber test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by bullet_head_films, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullet_head_films

bullet_head_films Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2005
    Hi guys, i'm having difficulty emulating rain, i tried using the particle playground to do this effect, however i'm not happy with it, i want to speed it up and give it some depth much im not whats the best way to do this.

If anyone knows how i can get this looking more "realistic", or general comments would be a great help, thanks

Oh this is also my first lightsaber test, but its uncomplete as you can see, work in progress...

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Y5TH4I8L0R2O1MP3K3NYOY5IC

2. RyiokuXL

RyiokuXL Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I've never yet done the artificial rain, however i suspect that in the rain, when it comes in contact with a lightsaber blade, it would evaporate, so for a little bit more realism you could add some steam coming off the blade every few seconds with the "tshh" sound.

3. bullet_head_films

Jul 3, 2005
    that would be a good effect however in attack of the clones, Obi wan uses his lightsaber in the rain once and theres no sign of any steam, but if i can get hold of some decent steam like footage, i'll be sure to add that. thanks

4. RyiokuXL

Jun 2, 2005
    you could make your own fairly easily, just use Ryan_W's method
    he simply burned incence(sp?) in front of a black screen, imported it into after effects, and overlayed it where needed(When his leg got cut in RvD)

5. Brodie-Wan_Kenobi

Brodie-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2005
    Lightsaber steam might sound like a good idea (which I personally don't think it does) but in application it would probably look extremely lame. I mean think about it.

6. RyiokuXL

Jun 2, 2005
    well of course i only got the idea from the clone wars cartoon, some episode when anakin and that other girl fought in the rain, it looked pretty good, of course that was a cartoon, this is real life...

7. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Dont do steam on the blade unless its an upclose shot. To give you rain some depth, simply (in AE) take the rain layer, and duplicate it, and make it smaller then the front, and have it move at different speeds, make about 2-3 more layers of rain, and keyfram them to move with the camera movent. Remember, as the camera pans left for example the rain in front will apear to move faster then the rain in back.

Good luck

8. bullet_head_films

Jul 3, 2005
    Oh yea! I forgot about that trick, yeah thats what i was looking for, just didn't come to mind, thanks very much. :D

oh and how do you like my on the spot, unchoreographed duel lol, its pretty awful I know, very fun whilst recording though.

9. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Doesent look like they wanted to hit each other.. looked too much like they were aiming at each others blades.

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
  11. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Haha.. that rain footage is such a short loop though.

It's pretty easy to make your own, if you have some spare time, a hose and a black cloth.
    Gives you more to work with. Detonation films is just where I go for 'splosions.

For now.
    Wait until I move out. Muaha.

12. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Haha.. that rain footage is such a short loop though.

That's funny?

13. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    Aside from the rain, nothing looks very wet.
    I think you would have a very blurred reflection hinted at in the floor, puddles, clingier clothes and droplets going up as they 'shatter' onto the floor among other things. If you're sticking with this clip, try adding reflections beneath the fighters, improve the interaction of the rain with the floor/depth as said. If you're filming again, maybe wet the area that you're fighting in first - soak your hair and clothes etc. Maybe have a sprinkler going to help sell the digital rain.

Hope this helps?:confused:

14. bullet_head_films

Jul 3, 2005
    Thanks alot guys, helped very much, this by the way was just some old footage i wanted to try a few tests on, but i think ive got the reflections bit sorted, just need to make the actual rain look more like realistic rain drops.

15. Vi3tBoi53

Vi3tBoi53 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    You could also make the rain splash a little when you step.

16. krnbanguboi

krnbanguboi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2005
    after you get that footage how do you transfer it onto your home footage

17. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    One way is to use the "screen" blending mode - instructions for the use of their footage can be found here.

Hope that helps!

18. krnbanguboi

krnbanguboi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2005
    never Mind DV I used the same method of transfering Dorkman's saber flash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.