main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Help needed...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Detonating-Rabbit, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Hey, guys and girls...

Now, I know for a fact that quite a few of you are involved in the independent/amateur film scene and this is exactly what I have to write a mini-theses on. Sadly, I have two weeks in which to write this 4,000 word essay, so I don't have much time. I'm thinking it will follow the lines of:

Independent/amateur film in general (its aspects, history);
    Independent/amateur film within Australia;
    Technology and innovations within the context of independent/amateur film (from the 60s: the 16mm camera, portable and advances in equipment, the DNS);
    These innovations in relation to funding bodies (state and national) and how this compares with the "blockbuster" films.

That pretty much sums up the direction of my essay (as of yet). In this essay we are allowed to quote and use case studies from the "industry" in order to contextualise our arguments (from interviews or e-mails). I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me, or if I might be able to send off a focussed question or two relating to your own experiences?

Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Pm'ed you. :)

Also, try having a look for articles by Marshall McLuhan and Lev Manovich, if you're wanting to explore the place of new medias in relation to the history of cinema.

3. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Thanks, Caz, that looks perfect. :) [:D] I guess what I'll probably do is post up some questions over the next few days and if people are able to help me out with any of the questions (from your knowledge or your own experience) then that would be fantastic.

4. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Hi, everyone. As I said earlier, I'd post a bunch of questions for people to answer (based on your opinion and experience). So, here they are. If you do choose to answer them, please note that you don't have to answer all of them. I don't want to take up too much of anyone's time, and any help that you can give me (by answering two or three of the questions even) will be great. I do need the questions under (1) to all be answered, though, so I can get an understanding of where you're coming from.

Also, your answers don't have to be too long. :) And as for the questions...well, they're pretty broad and probably display my ignorance of parts of the industry/filmmaking process. I'm a creative writer, after all, and I've only dabbled in film since the beginning of this year. I apologise for that, so just bear with me. I hope you can relate to a few of them, at least. Thanks heaps.

And please PM me your answers and the questions you're addressing.

1)
    Full name:
    What are of film do you consider yourself to belong to (eg. amateur, independent, semi-professional, professional)?
    Other than director, what other roles do you fulfil in your films (eg. editor, actor, etc.)?
    From where do you source your funding?
    Do you belong to or own an independent film company or are you freelance?
    How many films, or what is the most recent film, that you have/are involved in?

2)
    Is the technology available to independent/amateur directors and crews adequate in the production stages of filmmaking?

3)
    Where do you source your capital, equipment, resources, and expertise?

4)
    Is independent film collaborative between directors? For example, do you network with crew or other directors in the process of filmmaking?

5)
    Have you ever sourced funding from state or federal arts/film funding agencies?

6)
    In general, do you film short or feature length films?

7)
    From your own experience, how would you describe the Australian independent/amateur film scene?

8)
    Do you believe there is support for independent/amateur filmmakers within Australia? Do you believe that the present state of competitions and festivals are adequate in the promotion and support of the art form and its practitioners?

9)
    Do you believe that with the advent of new semi-professional and professional technologies available to independent/amateur filmmakers (3CCD, DNS, Digital film) better enables you in the production stages of filmmaking?

10)
    Why - in light of the financial and artistic hardships that face independent artists - are you involved in the film industry?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.