main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help! Newbie here:)!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_StarDust, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_StarDust

Jedi_StarDust Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2002
    Hey, I've only read two of the StarWars books (Heir to the Empire and The Courtship of Princess Leia) so i'm pretty much a newbie.. does any1 have any suggestions ? i was originally really movie oriented, but i've heard awesome things about the new jedi order and other books. (i know this is a dumb question but hey i'm a newbie to the njo) exactly what is the njo about, the characters, setting, time, etc? ty to every1 for helping me get a start:)!

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    One word, chissdude10. Follow in his ways and you'll go far.

The NJO is 25 years after A NEW HOPE.

Characters include:Mara Jade Skywalker(now Lukes wife), Anakin, Jacen and Jaina solo, and many others.

3. Jedi_StarDust

Jedi_StarDust Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2002
    hehe thanks;)

4. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    By the way the book order for the NJO goes:

Vector Prime
    Onslaut
    Ruin
    Heros Trial
    Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Conquest
    Rebirth
    Star by Star
    Dark Journey

All of which happening in a 2 year span.

5. LaraNotsil

LaraNotsil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2000
    don't listen to chissdude's mindless self promotion...if you want to read NJO you are going to need a better knowledge of the other books major events...I suggest going to timetales...or picking up the essential chronology...

6. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    if you don't like being spoiled, i also suggest you go read all the books and then come back here, cause only Dark Journey warrents spoiler tags now, and people post say, the ending of every other book without having to warn you ;)

¤Night

7. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    "Dont listen to chissdudes mindless, self-promotion."

I beg your pardon, I was mearly suggesting a sutible JCer whos smart intellegent and dashingly handsome, who you may want to listen to.

8. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    The New Jedi Order starts 25 years after A New Hope with Vector Prime. VP came out in October 1999 and the NJO is scheduled to finish in the fall of 2003. It has one hardcover each year with other paperbacks between the hardcovers. The 10th book just came out today called Dark Journey. DJ is the first paperback after the 3rd hardcover Star by Star.

It has the main movie characters and several from The Thrawn Trilogy. The Hand of Thrawn by Tim Zahn is the last (chronologically) adult novels (Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future) taking place before Vector Prime.

If you liked Heir to the Empire I'd recommend finishing the Thrawn Trilogy at least before thinking of starting on the NJO.

Be warned there are VERY strong opinions on all sides about the NJO.

9. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes the series can be quite 'harsh' sometimes... It is more hard-hitting than the movies, at least. Some like it, some hate it... But it is hard to judge without having tried it...

10. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    For the NJO I would say the most helpful backround reading would be all five of Zahn's books, most of the X-wing books, and even the Young Jedi Knights series (even though I never really got into those- this is not to say you won't like them though. A great many people did)

Although not crucial for the NJO, I would also read The Truce at Bakura, for it's own merit. Always been one of my favorites.

All you really need to know about the Jedi Acadamy Trilogy is that it's the point when Luke starts the Acadamy, and the main story of Kyp Durron's struggle with the dark side.

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I beg your pardon, I was mearly suggesting a sutible JCer whos smart intellegent and dashingly handsome, who you may want to listen to.

And then again, they may not. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.