main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help on the Barbarian Anchients in Diablo II

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MandalorianJango, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandalorianJango

MandalorianJango Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    I am a level 60 paladin in Nightmare mode. My Fist of the Heavens is level 20, my Zeal is level 11, my Salvation is level 4,and my Fanaticism is level 3. I have about 550 Hit Points and 190 mana. I have a sword that can do 1404-1890 damage plus 754-796 poison damage after 7 seconds. I have lost once to the Ancients. Can anyone give me some strategies on fighting the Ancients?

2. MandalorianJango

MandalorianJango Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Please Help me!!

3. Delphium

Delphium Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2001
    Not sure if this will help a pally, but I stocked up on potions before entering the area. Keep running around and avoid them till you can get one alone and pound on them a bit, and when others catch up, continue running around and avoiding their attacks. It takes a few times, but you'll eventually get lucky. That's just how I did it.

4. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    hmm, so youve gone for the foth pally then, well you need to prob go in melee, maybe throw on thorns, just to give back some damage, dont bother with foth, they have resist to it by then, but just try take one on at a time

Pm me for further info, i got a freeze pally, lvl 20 holy freeze with 20 zeal, very powerful

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Fanaticism = underrated [face_plain]

You know how much damage you will do extra when it's maxed out?

Fanaticism

Increase damage, attackrating and attack speed(not much though). It's an uber melee aura.

Fist of the Heavens is worthless, don't put points in it, but's it's too late for you :(

6. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    fanatasism is used by EVERY paladin, so to beat another pally u needa use somethin different, thus holy freeze, u know how slow they are when maxed out? plus zeal... u attack about 20 times to their 1!

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I love Diablo II. Just a fantastic game.

And I'm also a paladin fan. If built up correctly, I think it can be the most powerful character in the game.

I have a level 82 paladin (Bama-Pally on U.S. West, account *maddogtv1) and I'll probably be online Saturday or Sunday afternoon (I'm home without D2 right now). I'll be more than happy to help you out. :)

My pally beat the Ancients in both NM and Hell mode - solo. My equipment includes the following (some of this stuff is essential for a fantastic paladin, so if I were you, I'd try to get a least some of this stuff, most of it is pretty reasonable in price):

Headgear: Veil of Steel (extremely high defense and 50% resist all)

Body Armor: Um'ed Guardian Angel (this is a must for a paladin, with the +15% max resist and +1 all paladin skills)

Belt: String of ears (good for a melee pally)

Gloves: Chance guards (since pally's aren't really meant for magic find, I should probably look for Venom Grip or Laying of hands)

Boots: Gore Riders (IMHO, these work just as well, if not better than, War Travs. The chance for extra damage simply rocks. :cool: )

Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope. This is an absolute must.

Rings: Raven Frost and Nagelring. RF is pretty much essential, but the other ring is a tossup. Nagelring doesn't really belong on an 82 paladin, but here's my recommendation for a higher-level pally: If you're melee, go with Bul Kathos Wedding Band. If you're more of a FOH user, go with either Manald Heal or SOJ for the extra mana. You'll need it.

Weapon: Baranar's Star. Second best unique one-handed weapon in the game, next to Schaefer's Hammer.

Shield: Herald of Zakarum, of course. :D

As for skills, FOH is really best if you're a dueling pally. It doesn't serve much use in questing because demons tend to outnumber the undead, plus the lightning immunities/resistances are rather bothersome.

If you must use FOH, use it in conjunction with Conviction. Conviction does nothing against X-immune monsters, but if you put in maybe 8 or 10 points, it'll significantly lower their resistances. In fact, Vengeance (which does elemental damage) and Conviction are one of the best melee combos a paladin can use. I have about 10 points in each skill, and they both work fabulously.

The other combo worth mentioning is fanatacism/holy shield/zeal. I cannot stress this enough - max each one of these out if you plan to kill monsters quickly and effectively. The fanatacism provides enhanced speed and damage, holy shield provides a very nice defensive boost, and zeal, while after level 4 cannot provide more than 5 consecutive hits, at least provides a nice attack rating augmentation.

If you need any more paladin advice, PM me. I'll be glad to help. I might have a few items to give you as well, too. :)

8. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    What realm are you on? If you're on USEast I'm sure I have a character that could help you out. PM me with your account name if you're on USEast and want some help.

9. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
  10. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    he might be on single player guys...

And im sorta an Amazon fan, and no theyre not cheap!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.