main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Help out my friend Megan with her school project!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedigal, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Ok, Megan, aka JediGemini, has posted a survey on the Chicago forum. She has to turn in a project based on the answers on Friday, so answer quickly and give her a hand. Or don't. But I thought I'd give her a boost in getting more respondents by putting it on our forum too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Yes, I need help, but not mentally you see as some of you have thought. No, actually, I have to do this "think piece" for my Sociology class and I am supposed to do some "Scientific Research". Sounds tough, I know. But while doing this research, I have to get "data". Follow me, so I have a few questions for my favorite fans (see this has to do with fans) and I would REALLY appreciate it if you could answer them for me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Okay, so it's DUE FRIDAY.
    Okay, just some questions, really. No harm in that. Oh, and if something doesn't apply to you or you don't wanna answer it, just skip it. One more thing, please feel free to ELABORATE. Some of the question will be yes/no, but I would like a little more feeback.

1)What are you a big fan of? (I know it's Star Wars, but if you want to put down a multiple answer, that's fine)

2)Being a big fan of that, is it something that you think about a lot?

3)What constitutes a true fan?

4)What constitutes an obsessed fan?

5)What do you consider the line is between an obsessed fan and a true fan?

6)Could you live without it?

7)Why are you attatched to it?

8)Do you believe your feelings are the same as most other fans?

9)Have you ever been offended by a fan of the same thing or something else? Why?

10)If you are a fan of a movie, how many times will you go see it at the theatre?

11)If you are a fan of a show/sport/actor/etc..., do you make sure you are at home and get off work or school to watch it/them?

12)If you find out that this movie/show/sport/actor will be mentioned on the news or an entertainment show (Access Hollywood, E.T., Rosie O'Donnell Show etc...), would you make time to watch it or tape it even if you normally didn't watch it?

13)Have you written to an actor/actress/director/player?

14)Do you purchase any merchandise (if available)? If so, how much?

Last, but not least #15: Is JediGemini crazy? Wait. Don't answer that.

Okay, I'd just like to say thank you in advance for those who reply. If I do good on this, I'll update you on the grade. And if I don't, well, you ain't getting an update!
    Isn't this a great forum?

2. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Just to let everyone in St. Louis know that I don't ask to do something I'm not willing to do myself, I posted my answer here instead of on the Chicago forum.

1)What are you a big fan of?

Star Wars, hockey especially St. Louis Blues

2)Being a big fan of that, is it something that you think about a lot?

I think about both at least daily. And with SW, I feel that Penguins' answer applies to me. To put it in my own words, I would say that I tend to think about real life things in 'terms' of SW, comparing them to SW, or imagining how they would fit in the 'SW universe'.

3)What constitutes a true fan?

A true StL Blues fan always roots for their team, even if they realistically know that their team is outmatched at times. A true fan doesn't 'give up' on their team, sees the good things and hopes for the best today and believes there'll be improvement in the future.

A true hockey fan can tell you what it is they like about the sport. They have more to say than 'it's fun'.

A true SW fan - THIS is a TOUGH question. Because there are multiple movies with a vast amount of time separating them, especially between the filming of episodes 6 and 1, there are a lot of opinions out there in the community of 'SW fans'. My opinion, a true fan loves the movies taken as a group. If asked to provide a yes/no answer to the question, 'do you love the SW movies?' a true fan might LIKE to put additional qualifying text in the question prior to answering, but if you didn't let them they would have to answer YES. They may or may not like certain particular things in the movies, or even a whole movie, they may not like the comics, or the novels, or the toys, but they love the movies.

4)What constitutes an obsessed fan?

An obsessed fan could come in many different forms. I would say that there are degrees of obsession. Because the word fan derives from the word fanatic, in a way, anytime someone identifies themselves as a fan of something they are saying that they are obsessed.

However, as a somewhat 'mainstream' fan of these two things, I would say an 'obsessed fan' is one who spends a majority of their time, money, and/or energy on the object of the obsession. Also perhaps someone who has no other interests. I think that would constitute an obsession.

5)What do you consider the line is between an obsessed fan and a true fan?

Well, I think that those are two separate things. I think that it is pretty likely that most obsessed fans ARE true fans (the true are a subset of the obsessed) but that many many true fans are not obsessed. See my definitions.

6)Could you live without it?

Sure. I'm interested in lots of things.

7)Why are you attatched to it?

I'm 'attached' to hockey because it is entertaining to me. Each game, you don't know the outcome. I like to watch the players exhibit their skills. I like the excitement, the speed of the game, the constant movement. And I must also confess, I like the outlet for aggressiveness. I don't get personally aggressive, but I enjoy the physicalness of the game vicariously.

I'm attached to SW because it incorporates elements of MANY different things that I love, including: adventure, outer space, conflict between good/evil, spiritual/paranormal elements (the Force). And, of course, because it's good clean fun!

8)Do you believe your feelings are the same as most other fans?

Um..., well, I'm not if you could say MOST. I'd say possibly most, at the least most definitely a large minority.

9)Have you ever been offended by a fan of the same thing or something else? Why?

As far as hockey, I've only been offended by fellow fans when they exceed the bounds of courtesy in a public situation. I.e., drunk fans carrying on loudly and incessantly, anyone who insists on using foul language, etc. It doesn't bother me if other fans think differently and express that, unless the manner in which they do so is socially unacceptable.

SW fans? I've never been offended by anyone in person, but I have read some offensive posts on computer for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.