main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Help! PFF computer people...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by DarthFeldman, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    My comp is goin wacko.. just seeing if you guys might have any ideas..

OK, it started a day or 2 ago.. if i am on a messgae board, or on say EBAY or anything that is kinda hefty on the scrolling. it runs WAY slow.. it scrolls at about 1/3 the normal speed. Everything else seems to be ok, but ive run anti-virus and all sorts of checks and cleaners on it.. nothing is helping.. any ideas?
    thanks.

2. Tobar

Tobar Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2002
    When was the last time you defragged your puter?

3. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    ooh that sounds like it might actually work, you should try that.

IM me if you don't know how to do it, as that's one of the few things i actually *do* know how to do. :)

4. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    When things run really slowly like this, it makes me think of 3 possible problems: The video driver might be messed up (doubtful though), your CPU could be maxed out by a virus (again, doubtful if you have newest virus definitions installed in your scanner) or your system is out of RAM. You could be out of memory if there are too many items running during your startup routine...
    If you have XP or 98se, you can run "msconfig". this program will let you see what programs are starting during your startup. You can then uncheck the items that you don't think are necessary and reboot to see if that make things faster. If you accidentally uncheck something that was critical, you can go back in to msconfig and re-check it. I would be cautious about unchecking to items at once. Try unchecking a few and rebooting to see if it helped or not... then try a few more. This way if something really wierd/bad happens, you should remember the last items you unchecked.

I apologize for the long post, I hope this helps!

5. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Also check your cache - that can cause things to run slowly... If you're running MSIE (internet exploiter) v6.0 or better, you can clear this by following these steps...

Go to Tools --> Internet Options

On the General tab click on "settings"
    click on view files
    go to edit --> select all
    go to file --> delete

This may take a cupla minutes...
    This should be done every cupla weeks, because it can really bog your system down... or you can get a utility that automatically flushes your cache every little bit.

HTH (hope this helps)

6. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    internet exploiter

[face_laugh] Choad, you're the best!

7. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    That's what win-doze is all about... internet exploiter... or internet exploder... take your pick... :p

Maybe I should upload and then post links to some of the nifty windows splash screens... heh heh... Like Windows 1900, with Microsoft Millenium Bug... (it's not a bug, it's a feature)

or just look here

Heh heh heh...

8. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Well, my office computer just CRASHED! Well it seems that it was Windows that crashed. Well, I am going to call our I.T. ninja to come and commit seppukku for allowing that to happend.

Anyway, they will probably need to re-install Windows, my only problem is I might not have access to documents I really need for work. Is there a way to recover any or all of the documents from my hard drive?

9. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Yeah you can. You can take the hard drive and put it in as a secondary hard drive on another computer. Then just copy the files up that way. So it doesn't need to boot up, just read the other files.

10. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    For future referance, if your IT dept set up a network drive for you, consider storing them on that drive so that you won't have to deal with lost or missing files (docs, pics, .xls etc.) every time they work on the hard drive of the PC you're using.

My IT dept. always wipes the drive for ANY software issue. They have over 5000 PC's to deal with so I don't blame them. If I used the local drive I'd be.... hurting!

11. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Forget the computer and go back to pen and paper! ;)

12. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    If I forget the computer, then how am I to check the boards?

13. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Ah yes. See? The man has his priorities straight... ;)

14. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    We're going back to smoke signals and the pony express [face_laugh]

15. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    So OPPM would stand for "One Post Per Month"?

16. Queen_of_Posts

Queen_of_Posts Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    Use your local drive as the backup to the network... [face_mischief] Because we all know how good most IT people are at screwing up the network too :p

17. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    So OPPM would stand for "One Post Per Month"?

Yeah, cuts down on server use . . .

18. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    I am at work, and the IT department finally fixed the computer I use at work. Essentially, the harddrive expired. (It's a dell,btw). I don't know what happend but I reconnected the speakers (mind you not a particularly good brand, real inexpensive), and now everything sounds like it's been sped up to 45 or everything is sounding like a chipmunk. What can I do?

19. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Ask them (Chipmunks)to sing "Christmas, Christmas time is here, time for joy, time for cheer." ;)

20. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    go get a billy ray cyrus cd. play it for the tech ppl til they fix it. that man played like that should get it solved real quick.

21. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I say smack it around and talk dirty to it, the computer, not the IT folks.
    Caught a promo for "The People's Champions" and they were doing a monitor toss out a windos a few stories up. That made me laugh so hard. Mom didn't get it. It was almost as good as the dell one where they turned the old servers into battle bots. "Isn't that our water fountain?" "Oh, you mean Hydra."

My servers down at the moment, well, today would be more correct. Said it should be back in a couple of hours.
    We shall see, he he he, we shall see.
    -D-
    not that I'd know when they go back up, I'm so out of the loop here it stopped being amusing.

22. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Thanks for the funny comments from the peanut gallery.

Any serious suggestions?

23. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    The most reasonable thought, would be that you've plugged everything in properly, however, they may have messed around with the audio controls in the machine while they were inside it. I'm not sure your level of familarity with PC's but if you check in your control panel, under Sounds and Audio devices, you may see something that looks amiss or otherwise out of place. If not, try with headphones in that same jack you have the speakers plugged into and see if the same thing happens or not. The best way to diagnose the problem is to find out what the problem is not. Leaving you with fewer objects of what it IS.
    I.E. figure if it's the speakers first, then go from there.

24. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Thanks.

25. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Howdy all. It's me again.

Do you now of a program that will COMPLETELY delete any files one sends to the recycle bin on Windows? In addition, what program can eliminate, from your hard drive, any evidence of where you were surfing?

This is not a reactive request but more like a proactive one, just in case, you never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.