main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help Please:)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Darth_Skywalker2, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Skywalker2

Darth_Skywalker2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2004
    Hey everybody! I am thinking about writing a Star Wars fan fiction story about a young Jedi Apprentice who becomes friends with Anakin Skywalker, I can't decide if it should be in journal form or not? Does anybody have any tips/ideas about writing a Star Wars Fan Fiction? This is my first attempt at a Star Wars story. :)

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, since this is your first SW story, I think journal form would be good. You?d be getting into the fandom slowly and expand from there. Journal forms has its pros (for instance, you really get into the mind of the character) and cons (for instance, you have to be vague about events and things said to your character). I?ve tried journal format before and enjoyed it. Some of the most profound pieces come from introspective journals. In the end, go with what makes you feel comfortable. Do you feel you?ll be better writing and analysing a character?s thoughts or writing description and dialogue?

Ams [face_love]

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Journal format can be difficult to pull off, for a lot of reasons--one of which is that it's difficult to adapt it to a standard plot arc. "Classical" plots that start with a problem, have attempts to solve it in the middle, and a "show-down" at the end in which the problem is resolved aren't the be-all and end-all of writing, but they're easier to write in a way that keeps readers engaged.

The first-person format is also often difficult for new writers, because there are practical problems about how to present material the character didn't witness, and it's often hard to squeeze "writerly" things like description and character insights out of a character who may not be very writerly. Some first-time authors do very well with the first-person technique, however--if you feel strongly about using it, then give it a shot.

Personally, I would recommend not using the journal format for a first fanfic, unless your story is going to be more of a vignette than a short story or novel. Very short character-study pieces can work out well as letters or journal entries. It's just that the longer the story goes on, and the more of a traditional plot it develops, the harder the format is to sustain.

Your idea is an interesting one, BTW. We don't often get a fellow-Padawan's view of Mr. Chosen One.

4. Darth_Skywalker2

Sep 26, 2004
    well I think I am better at writing and analysing a character's thoughts.:p

5. FF_Newsletter_Editor

FF_Newsletter_Editor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2004
    There's a story in the TFN Archives written in journal format, which might help you get the feel of that style. It's called The Journal of Zavra Phelar, Jedi.

Journal styles can work, if you're used to thinking in the voice of the character, and so on. The nice part is that they don't have to be "organised" - that is, you can still write from a first-person POV, but depending on the character, you can be a little looser with style and voice and so on. It doesn't have to sound like a novel.

If you have other questions about style, characterisation, etc, the Fan Fiction Master Index has a bunch of great threads.

Hope that helps. :)

edits: Ugh! No typing skills tonight.

6. Darth_Skywalker2

Sep 26, 2004
    thanks for your replies everybody:) and ^^thanks for the links above! Those will help alot! My name's Paul by the way:)

7. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Here's another journal example for you to look at. Obi-Wan's journal

Edit: I see you like Anakin. Your going to have lots of fun reading the Anakin fics here, they are great. :) I'm currently writing some fics with Anakin in them but it'll be awhile before they are posted or reposted.

Edit 2: I like your name, Paul is one of my favorite names.

8. Darth_Skywalker2

Sep 26, 2004
    thanks Jace :)! I'm starting my story today :D

9. Darth_Skywalker2

Sep 26, 2004
    well I posted my story (what i have so far) in the Saga forum, it's called Kuno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.