main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with a "Crossover"(?) fic...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Vivid_Scripts, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    I need a bit of help defining what is and isnt a "crossover fic". I know that in general, pretty much anything that blends Star Wars with another universe/movie/TV show counts as a crossover, but just how much blending do you have to do?

To explain whats been happening:

I've been working on this fic for a while now, and it is AU, but it is solidly rooted in the SW universe. I have two SW cannon characters as my main characters and a few supporting OCs. As I continued working with the story, I decided to work with two OCs and make them into Protoss (protoss from Starcraft)

For those of you unfamiliar with Starcraft, it is the 1997 PC game of the Year, a Real Time-Strategy Game made by Blizzard entertainment about futristic space warfare between three races: the adaptive human Terrans, the plague-like feral Zerg, and the stolid, psi-powered Protoss.

Anyways, so I keep working and I have my two Protoss OCs (who fit the story quite well and do not draw it away from the SW cannons who are the main characters) and eventually I stop and realize that because I'm using Protoss OCs, my Fic might be labeled as a crossover... Now, i'm sure that a good author can make a good crossover, but to me, they've always seemed awkward and clunky and I dont really want my fic to be judged as a crossover.

Now that I think about it, it really isn't much of a "crossover" because it has no Starcraft story involved, no Starcraft worlds or settings, and no Starcraft cannon characters.

In fact, I think that if the Protoss were my own original creation, they could very well fit into the SW universe as an original race. Their psionic powers could definitely be equated to Force powers, and many other Protoss aspects are already very similar to SW staples. Zealot psi blades and Dark Templar Warp blades are both very similar to Jedi lightsabers, and High Templar's psionic storm can easily be equated to force lightning. Not to mention Arbiter's Stasis Field (Han Solo, anyone?), Anti-Matter Missiles, and phase disruptor cannons...

But the Protoss were created by Blizzard for the Starcraft universe. Does this mean that any SW fic I make that has Protoss OCs in it will automatically be labeled a SW/Starcraft Crossover?

what do you think?

oh yes, and some links:

http://www.battle.net/scc/protoss/
    Small overview of the Protoss...

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Yes, if you are using Protoss, then it's a crossover fic. However, you could simply make up a race very similar to achieve the same ends and then it will not be a crosover. You should definitely call them something different, and change their appearance, the subcaste names, etc. But the idea of such a deeply spiritual race is certainly one you could work with and mold into whatever you need for your story without using them straight out of the game and having a crossover.

Not that crossovers are bad. I've seen quite a few good ones here at TF.N/.

3. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    NOOOOOOOOO! youve given me a Plot-Bunny!

4. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    so theres no way to avoid the label of crossover, eh? Well I think i'll stick with the Protoss OC's anyway... I've found them to be a really good fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.