main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with Black Label's LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring PC game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ben Kenobi, Dec 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Me and my brothers just got this game for Christmas. When we went to install it on our computer(Compaq Presario 5000, Intel Celeron 1.2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, integrated graphics) the installation process went fine, but we can't run the game. When we try, it gives us the following message:
    An error occured while trying to initialize the display.
    Please check that your drivers are installed properly
    and then go to the Engine Options dialog to select a valid display mode.

When we go to the dialog, there are no options in the Display Mode dropdown box. The game's requirements are Windows 98, 2000, Me, XP, PIII 600, 128 MB RAM, DX8 compliant 32 MB video card with single pass, multitexturing, and T&L, DX8 compliant sound card, DX8, and 800 MB HD space. The only ones I'm not positive we meet are video card and processor. I can't remember right now, is a Celeron equal to a PIII, or is it PII? And if we are all right there, is it just that we need a card rather than integrated graphics?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Im pretty shure its a P2 ;)

-WOOTMacew00t!!-

3. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Well, seeing as I'm holding a PC version in my hand, complete with PC requirements and the PC CD-ROM logo, I'm positive that's not the problem.

4. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    P2 = Pentium II, not PS2 as you seem to think.

5. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Bah, I knew that, but I'm not thinking straight. Havent slept in like 60 hours. So it is the processor problem? Damn.

6. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Hey Tom, good to see you around. :)

No, the problem isn't your processor. That's more than enough, even if it's a Celeron. Judging by your other specs and the requirements and the error message, I'd definitely say that the video card is the issue.

DX8 compliant 32 MB video card with single pass, multitexturing, and T&L

I'm pretty sure most integrated video cards do not meet those requirements. I'd definitely think the video card is causing the problem. I think that the only thing you can do is give Compaq a call or visit their site to try to find out what your integrated graphics card does have to make sure. Once your sure, you're probably going to need to upgrade that card. :\

7. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Good to be around again. :)

OK, that's good to know. Upgrading the card won't be too much of a problem. I've been wanting to for a while anyway. JO on integrated graphics and minimum setting = meh (though it's still better than JP's screeenies ;) ).

8. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    lol.

Mr Wag. You need help with this game (when you can play it) give us a bell on ICQ. Or use one of the existing threads ;)

hehehe

Pretty average game, but you may enjoy it, until it ends (rather short and leaves you thinking "is that it?" [face_plain]) but still cool.

9. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    nVidia Verto GeForce 4 MX 440 64MD DDR RAM + JO or FOTR = :D

I love this card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.