main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with my Theory of SW Climax Complexity

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by D_MaMBo, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D_MaMBo

D_MaMBo Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    I noticed that with each successive SW movie, the number of things transpiring at the climax has increased by a factor of one. Of course, many times these situations effect one another, but typically, the activities are intercut at one point or another.

ANH: 1. Death Star Attack

ESB: 1. Luke vs Vader
    2. Bespin Escape

ROTJ 1. Luke vs Vader
    2. Space Battle
    3. Ground Battle

TPM 1. Gunguns vs Droids
    2. Jedi Fight
    3. Queen Retakes the Throne
    4. Space Battle

The problem i'm facing right now is that soooo much is going on in AOTC that i wonder if the cycle wasnt broken. Not to mention, unlike the previous movies, the action isn't intercut. What do you think? Does AOTC continue this?

2. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Lucas stated that in editing TPM he wanted to push of limits of what can be done. According to him, 4 action sequences is the most you can cut together coherently.

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I don't think AOTC continued that. In fact, AOTC's ending seemed closer to ANH to me. There was one continuous story (factory battle, arena, clone war, Jedi) that involved all the main characters.

4. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    "According to him, 4 action sequences is the most you can cut together coherently."

I think TPM proved this to be questionable. Technically I suppose one could call the climax of TPM "coherent" in a very loose sense, but in terms of story and rhythm and dramatic build-up, the whole thing took a major hit by having to intercut back and forth every dozen seconds or so.

Like so much else about the PT, the climax of TPM was like a little kid at Burger King mixing as many different types of soda in his cup as he can, just because he can. It tastes like ****, but BOY look how MANY!!!

I really hope Lucas stops dinkin' around and comes up with a strong, solid, dramatically-satisfying story for Episode III, because so far he's 0 for 2 as far as that goes.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    AOTC did indeed break the line. At first, there was an intercutting between the arena and a few Jedi infiltrating and sabotaging a droid control ship, but GL chose to cut this out and that gave us a very linear climax, from droid factory to arena, clone battle and finally the lightsaber duels.

6. D_MaMBo

D_MaMBo Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    I suppose there are still 5 climax elements, they are just not intercut this time. (warehouse, beasts, jedi, clones, duels)

If Ep3 has 6, my theory will be pretty much solidified

7. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Well, I thought GL did a great job w/ the editing of the ending of TPM. I liked how all the battle fronts started out well, then began to to fall apart, then left us hanging with all our heros in perilous prediciments until finally they all started to swing to the positive starting w/ Anakin I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.