main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with pattern #4433

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Yes, I finally caved in and grabbed the last Padme white battle outfit from AotC pattern. I had a lot of money in gift cards (thanks to christmas) and decided to give it a try. Also there was a sale still going, plus the 10% off from a survey I took just before I left to go there, so overall, it didn't cost me too much.

Well, I found nice white, spandex material, and tan leather-ish material for the belt. Let me tell you this: I've never worked with stretch material before... well I have, but nothing as stretchy as spandex.

I got home and started on the bodice only, but I soon found out, after all was cut and pinned together, that it's too big. That -|__|- shape on the bust hangs too low and isn't close enough to being tight. I haven't begun sewing it yet, so at least I can still do something to fix this problem... if I can even. Also, the pieces don't even match up! [face_plain] The front part of the shirt hangs lower than the back, that -|__|- shape doesn't fit (the top is bigger than the bottom section), and the side ^ mark thingys (you'd think after almost three years of sewing I'd know the proper name for those. :p ) don't match.

So, is there anyway of tightening the shirt by pulling more fabric on the seams, so the seam allowances are bigger? Can I even pull more fabric through the seam along the shoulders to bring that -|__|- seam up more? Should I even try a smaller size than my natural one?

~Spacelady

Also, I took pictures of the pinned together shirt earlier, but my camera doesn't want to work now, so once it does, I'll post pictures so you can get a better look and understanding. :p

2. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Alright, I've finally got the pictures up.

Well, just go here, still can't post up pictures in the image form. :\

Thanks... if anyone helps me...

~Spacelady

3. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I've never worked with spandex before, but I don't see why you couldn't just sew the pieces together the best you can as they are and then do however many fittings are necessary until you're happy with it - that way it doesn't seem as likely that you'll go too far the other way and end up with it being too small by accident

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Any stretchy costume usually is up to one inch smaller than your actual measurements.

Sew it all together with a small zigzag stitch, try it on and make any adjustments. Have someone pin it for you. Then sew it together with a stretch stitch, there should be a couple choices on your machine, or if you've got a serger even better. With really stretchy fabrics don't use the regular straight stitch, the thread will break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.