main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with Rules...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by JustSaber, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustSaber

JustSaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2003
    I have some questions about the uses of certain abilities and cards during the game. I'll put them in a list so it is easier to read.

1. With cards that prevent damage, such as Pilot's Dodge, can you play 2 of them at the same time? Example: I cause 4 damage to one of opponents Space units. He would then play 1 card to prevent 2 of the damage, and then play another card to prevent the rest of it. (The way I read this, if someone damages you, you only get one chance to prevent that particular damage.)

2. Do you have to activate Retaliate when your opponent announces his attack, or can you wait like with Evade?

3. Do cards like Surge of Power work with Bombard?

And then I have two questions that don't relate to this, but I'll ask anyway. How common is getting rare foil cards in booster packs? I just got a foil X-Wing Squadron last week. And the last question is... are the promo cards you get by playing in Jedi Nights tournaments from Jedi Guardians? Thanks for the help! I won't be able to visit tomorrow until late, so don't hurry on my account.

2. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    1. With cards that prevent damage, such as Pilot's Dodge, can you play 2 of them at the same time? Example: I cause 4 damage to one of opponents Space units. He would then play 1 card to prevent 2 of the damage, and then play another card to prevent the rest of it. (The way I read this, if someone damages you, you only get one chance to prevent that particular damage.)

Yes, as long as you have enough force to pay for them both :)

2. Do you have to activate Retaliate when your opponent announces his attack, or can you wait like with Evade?

You have to announce it as soon as they have targeted one of your units with retaliate, or you have used intercept. Before the dice have been rolled :)

3. Do cards like Surge of Power work with Bombard?

Im not sure about this one, id say no because otherwise cards like Suppressing Fire Would be useless. Might need some clarification though.

Jedi Benji, In Lack of a Better Manual Sig :D

3. Ketricel

Ketricel Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2003
    On the third question the answer is yes you can play Surge of Power to up your bombard. Cards like supressing fire give you a huge boost for little or no force. Hope this helps.

4. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
  5. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    As far as rare foils go I was under the idea that there are 2 rare foils per booster box so 1 in every 19 packs. But I'm not sure and I don't think its this way in Battle Of Yavin, otherwise I'm just extremely lucky. Each time I go and buy about 3 packs I get 1 rare foil in them and I have gotten no uncommon or common foils so its really kind of wierd.

Hehe I dreamt last night I got a foil gamorrean guard. That would be pretty cool since it dosen't exist :D .

6. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Yep, all rulings above are spot-on!

Not sure what prompted the FOIL post, but my (and others') experience with BoY box openings was high in rare foils. Some are common enough, in fact, that I've picked up a number of rare foils from this release on the cheap.

7. JustSaber

JustSaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2003
    Thanks for everybody's help! Sorry I haven't posted, but I've been really busy. Thanks again!

8. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ok now I need help with rules.

1) When using the escape pod and you discard it to save your pilot it sais to move your pilot to the build zone. Does this mean you have to build the card again or is he just retreated?

2) Oil Bath - remove up to a total of 4 damage counters from any number of ground units... 4 total damage counters or 4 off of every ground unit in the arena?

3) Do you need to specify intercept before an attack like retaliate?

4) Your pilot is retreated. You must put your pilots on their craft during your build step but you can't unretreat them until after you build so is it illegal to put your pilot onto a ship during your build if he was retreated? Or do you have to finish your build - unretreat him and hope he lives through the turn?

5) Similarly with cards like Chewbacca - take a damage counter off a ground or space unit for every card yiou draw. Can you take a damage counter off a retreated card?

Questions keep popping up the more we play and with the newer cards. I know theres more but this is all I can think of for now.

9. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    1) When using the escape pod and you discard it to save your pilot it sais to move your pilot to the build zone. Does this mean you have to build the card again or is he just retreated?

Retreated. A unit in the build zone is retreated and an unbuilt or partially built unit in the build zone is considered a "card" and not a "unit"

2) Oil Bath - remove up to a total of 4 damage counters from any number of ground units... 4 total damage counters or 4 off of every ground unit in the arena?

Total of 4. So you you could take 1 each off 4 units, or 2 off 2units, 4 off 1 unit, 3 off 1 and 1 more off another, etc.

3) Do you need to specify intercept before an attack like retaliate?

Intercept must be declared after your opponent declares an attack but before dice is rolled.

4) Your pilot is retreated. You must put your pilots on their craft during your build step but you can't unretreat them until after you build so is it illegal to put your pilot onto a ship during your build if he was retreated? Or do you have to finish your build - unretreat him and hope he lives through the turn?

You can place retreated units back into an arena at any time during the build step and then move it once per turn on or off a ship. I think you are thinking of retreated units are still retreated when the build point die os rolled. But as soon as your build step happens, you can place it back in an arena and then move it.

5) Similarly with cards like Chewbacca - take a damage counter off a ground or space unit for every card yiou draw. Can you take a damage counter off a retreated card?

Yes. It is still a unit if it is retreated.

Understanding the retreated units in the build zone vs a face down non-unit card rule is going to be a big help for future strategies, especially when......Hunh! (shot in the back with a toxic dart by Jango Fett working for WotC) :)

10. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Awesome!! Thanks for the clarification. Once again....must revise a few way I was playing...

11. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
  12. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ok let me make sure that I have retaliate right.

You declare before an attack.
    Critical hit and such abilities don't work but for some reason stun does work. But it wouldn't matter a whole lot unless the character was untapped.

What about your opponents abilities? Does their shield and stuff still count and what if the Critical hit came from something else like the Death Star?

13. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    You declare before an attack.

Yep, just before the dice are rolled

Critical hit and such abilities don't work but for some reason stun does work. But it wouldn't matter a whole lot unless the character was untapped.

Yes, stun does work but its useless as you are retaliating against a now tapped unit, unless it is Aurra Sing or the Krayt Dragon

What about your opponents abilities? Does their shield and stuff still count and what if the Critical hit came from something else like the Death Star?

Opponants abilities do not count, im not sure about shields but critical hit on the death star is just like saying 'Pay 0 Force -> Critical Hit 3 for Starfighters only.

14. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Retalitae is not an attack which is why Critical Hit and Accuracy does not apply, because it only works for an actual attack. A unit using Retaliate can still stun its target because it stuns a unit it damages and retalite dice still damages a unit.

15. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    Can you play Countermeasures after dice is rolled or do you have to play it before dice is rolled? I was reading on the Wizards site and it sounded like they said you have to play Countermeasures before dice is rolled, but then a few words later it seemed like they said you could play it after dice is rolled so now I'm confused...........

16. RedneckJedi

May 20, 2002
    Straight from the WotC Errata for Countermeasures:
    You must play Countermeasures before dice are rolled for this attack.

Straight from the WotC "Card of the Week" section for May 21, 2003:
    ...you cannot wait and play it after the dice have been rolled...

Where are you reading that you can play it after the attack dice roll?

17. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    Well, I just went and read over the article that I mentioned previously (Winning Combinations) and I guess I was tired earlier this morning when I read it the first time. Now it makes sense when I read over it.

18. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Since there are no dice rolled with the Rebel Armored Freerunner's ability then that means that you can't use countermeasures against this card right? (Unless of course they rolled the dice instead). Just wanted to make sure.

19. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I have a question that is similar to the very first question asked in this thread.

When using a character's (or other unit card, for that matter) activated abilities, are you able to use more than one provided you have enough force to pay for them? For instance, if my opponent was about to deal 5 damage to my Mace Windu, can I evade 3 and then deflect 2 to prevent all of the damage to me?

20. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey Jayna, this should answer your question:

6. Can unit?s abilities be used together for one instance of damage? For instance; Unit A rolls 4 damage against Unit B. Unit B deflects 2 back to unit A, and evades 2 (and has enough force for both)

6. Yes. And, if a unit has Evade 2 and Evade 3, that unit can use both. You just can't use any individual ability

7. If a unit's ability for defense can be used to respond to each new instance of damage, Unit A rolls 4 damage against Unit B. Unit B deflects 2 back to unit A, and evades 2. Unit A deflects this same 2 back. Is this considered new damage so that unit B can use the ability to evade or deflect again? Could this go on until one or the other runs out of force?

7. Yes, this is new damage, and it can be Deflected again. The 2 Jedi could keep bouncing the damage back and forth until one of them runs out of Force.

TCG FAQ

Have you gotten any Jedi Guardian cards yet? :)

21. RedneckJedi

May 20, 2002
    Jedi_Natalie,

I know this is, oh, a month late but I missed it somehow...

You are correct. Countermeasures specifies "For this attack" and "attacking unit". Like the "tap-n-zap" Tyranus and Yoda, RAF's ability to deal damage is not an attack.

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I have a quick question about then new Reserves ability. Take Ki-Adi-Mundi (A) who says that he can [tap] remove one damage counter from a unit, but only if he's in the build zone. Now, if I'm not mistaken you can't directly deploy to the build zone, you have to deploy to an arena. So does this mean I have to deploy Mundi, then tap him to retreat him, and on the next turn untap him and keep him in the build zone to use his ability?

23. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Actually, per the new JG erratta:

"During the command phase, if you complete a unit, you do not have to move it into the appropriate arena. Similarly, if you fully build (or overbuild) your last unit during setup, you are not forced to move it into the appropriate arena."

Click Here

24. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Thanks, I hadn't noticed the new errata :)

25. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Here's kinf of a goofey question:

If a unit with overkill attacks a unit with intercept, and that unit is killed, then the overspill of damage would go to another unit. But, because it's all part of the same attack, can the unit with intercept 'intercept' the over spilled damage before it's discarded (thus nullifying the overkill)? I only ask because I heard that a unit with retaliate can retaliate even if it's dealt lethal damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.