main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with Rules...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by JustSaber, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    If a unit with overkill attacks a unit with intercept, and that unit is killed, then the overspill of damage would go to another unit. But, because it's all part of the same attack, can the unit with intercept 'intercept' the over spilled damage before it's discarded (thus nullifying the overkill)? I only ask because I heard that a unit with retaliate can retaliate even if it's dealt lethal damage.

Ok lets put it simply:

There are 3 units
    1 dark, 2 light
    the dark Card has Overkill
    A light Card has Intercept

The Dark Card Then Attacks both Units with Overkill.

The Light Card can then Intercept the other units damage, absorbing it all.

Least thats to My Understanding :p

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    That was kinda my understanding as well, I just wanted to get a knowledgable ruling. Good enough for me! :D

3. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Actually, no, you can't intercept the "overspill" damage, since the "overspill" damage isn't designated until after the attack dice are rolled. Intercept must be performed prior to the attack dice roll, since you can only intercept an attack, not damage.

The "overspill" damage is designated just like the damage dealt by the abilities of the Rebel Armored Freerunner and "tap-n-zap" Yoda (C) and Tyranus (D) units. This particular damage cannot be intercepted.

4. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    So wait, you have to intercept before the die are rolled? Oops, guess I've been playing wrong...

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, here's a few that came up in a stunning 13 game tie breaker *wipes sweat from forhead*

1. Is a Jedi Starfighter Squadron considered a starfighter? The subtext says squadron, but the title has starfighter. This was mainly for the purpose of getting the critical hit on the Death Star.

2. When deploying the Imperial Landing craft, it says choose an opponents unit in the build zone, then deal it two damage when the battle phase starts. Now, the DS deploys first, so what if the LS doesn't have a Ground unit at time of DS deployment? He/she deploys the shuttle while I have no ground units, then during my build step I deply a ground unit. Technically the card makes it sound like the shuttles game text is nullified because I had no ground units at time of deployment.

3. Does deflect do X-amount of dice damage or just X-amount of damage to the attackig unit? Also, is it just to the attacking character, or to any unit in that arena?

Thanks *crawls off to bed*

6. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    1) No. It is a squadron. Starfighter has to be in the subtext.

2)If there are no ground units to pick at the time the card is played, then the text has not effect. However also keep in mind the text is void suring setup anyway and i think you are describing a setup situation here. Only in normal build does that text work.

3)Deflect does X amount of damage. It is like Evade, in that it has a defined value, except it not only avoids putting X damage on the defender but also puts it back on a unit of the defector's choice in the arena. It does not have to go back to the attacker. the deflected damge can be deflected or evaded back. In fact, 2 units with deflect can deflect back and forth until one runs out of force.

7. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Cool, thanks :)

8. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I have a couple questions:

1. If you have Dianoga out so you can tap a character with power 4 or less and a stacked Obi-Wan Kenobi with power of 4 plus 2 for the 2 cards stacked under it. Is the actual power 6 so that you can't use Dianoga to tap him or do you take the face value of the power. I'm guessing you can't tap him in this case.

2. For the Imperial II Star Destroyer in ESB you can show a face down starfighter card and put 2 build counters on it. Lets say my build step starts and I have a 3 build starfighter in my hand - can I put that starfighter face down with 1 build counter on it then use the cards ability to put 2 more build counters on it and then because it is fully built, put it out in teh space arena?

9. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    1) You go by the power at the time Dianoga can be played, so in your example you could not tap Obi since he is higher than 4. It works the same way if you made the power higher with a battle or mission card or some other effect and the power was still higher than 4 when Dianoga was to be played.

2) Yes! :)

10. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Awesome! That makes that Star Destroyer much cooler.

Oh well can you play that ability multiple times in your build step?

11. RedneckJedi

May 20, 2002
    Unfortunately, no. ISD II's ability can only be played once per build step.

12. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ahhh thats to bad.

13. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ok I was reading stuff on another board that got me thinking...

When you partially build a card face down does it go into the build zone associated with the correct arena? IE I've partially built Anakin - so is he face down in the build zone under the character arena? Or is the build zone just some area where all of the partially built cards go? Thats how we have always played it.

14. RedneckJedi

May 20, 2002
    The latter you mentioned is correct. The build zone is just a general area "below" the arenas. You don't have to partially build a Character card beneath the Character arena. Even retreated units can just hang out anywhere in the build zone.

15. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Thank goodness... Thats how we've always played it and it would be wierd to change.

16. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Rebel Surrender: I've always played it that if a ground or character rolled no hits then you can play rebel surrender to have that character discarded.

I just read on other boards that maybe it could be your opponent rolling no hits in any arena and you can just pick any character or ground unit to discard? Like Yoda (D) is out and one of the little starfighters rolled no hits so you could force a discard of Yoda?

That would be incredibly powerful - moreso than I thought but I'm not sure if that is meant to be played that way.

17. RedneckJedi

May 20, 2002
    JS, you've been playing Rebel Surrender correctly. If there are posts on other forums to the contrary, I would be sure to reference the specific game text on the card:

"Choose one of your opponent's units in the Ground or Character arena. If your opponent rolled no hits for that unit's last attack, he or she discards that unit. Play only after the unit has attacked and before any other unit attacks."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.