main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with "SbS" fanart - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mazzic, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I know how much people hate double posts, but I really need help on this.

I'm in the process of illustrating a scene from "Star by Star."

As many of you know, Leia's son, Anakin Solo dies. Many readers were shocked, saddened, and even angered by this event. After reading it, I really wanted to create a piece that would really connect emotionally to the reader/viewer. Thus, I'm illustrating a scene from page 547 of "Star by Star."

By wanting the piece to be emotional, Tahiri will be clutching Anakin's body. Behind her, foreshadowing the events of "Dark Journey" and the end of "SbS," Jaina is taking her revenge out on the Yuuzhan Vong, firing at them with a heavy blaster. She'll have an evil glare/snarl on her face, whereas Tahiri is trying to hold back tears, looking into Anakin's lifeless eyes.

I think that all of these emotions will make for a very powerful picture. I've finished the composition, I just need your guys' comments, suggestions, and critiques. It is just a thumbnail sketch, so the characters don't look anything like they will in the final painting. My cousin is modeling as Tahiri, and I have a great image of Lacey Chabert for Jaina. I'll be mixing Anakin's look with Terese Nielsen's Anakin (from "Conquest"), add a little of my own features, and of course throw in a bit of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

Here's the thumbnail sketch. Any critiques will be very much appreciated! I'm working on the painting tonight.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/vwp?.dir=/Anakin+Pic&.dnm=Anakin.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/lst%3f%26.dir=/Anakin%2bPic%26.src=bc%26.view=l/

I can't post links for the life of me, so you're just going to half to cut and paste it. Sorry.

If you've read "SbS" and notice something that is out of place, please tell me!

Thanks all!

-Mazzic

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Great drawing, Mazzic !

I really can imagine how the final pic could look, and it is very good.

Just a few things :

- The 'costumes' : I don't imagine them with pockets, more like some sort of light full-body armor.

- They maybe should have bandoliers and belts a bit like those of a stormtrooper, but dark colored, of course.

- You could add breath masks dangling from their necks, too.

But otherwise it's great, I like the composition a lot !

3. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Very nice!

4. Mazzic

Nov 6, 2000
    Thanks for your advice and kind words, guys!

PrinceXizor - I'm not so sure about what you mean with the pockets...I thought the outfits the strike team was wearing was supposed to look like their Jedi Trainee suits. Also, someone said that there were vests too...

The bandolier and belts sound great, I'll make sure to add them where needed.

I had forgotten about the breathmasks - were they still carrying them at the time this picture takes place?

Thanks for all of your kind words. I've finshed composing the image in Photoshop, printed it out, and am ready to paint!

Here's the photo manipulated picture. It basically represents what I'll be doing. I've got to change the lighting on Jaina - and make Anakin look like Anakin, not my model. :p I'll be more or less keeping Tahiri and Jaina's looks though.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/vwp?.dir=/Anakin+Pic&.dnm=Anakin%27s+Death.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/lst%3f%26.dir=/Anakin%2bPic%26.src=bc%26.view=l

Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Mazz

PS Don't ask about Jaina's hands...I didn't like the first model's hands, so tried to merge about 3 pics together. In total, Jaina is about 5 different pictures, and Anakin/Tahiri about 8.

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    For the jumpsuits, you're right, the pockets can be added, but maybe you should add some lines that'd suggest a light armor joints - see what I mean ?

For the breath masks, well... I'm not exactly there yet in the book, but I should read the last 100 pages today, so I'll tell you later...

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    I can't get it to show. :( But from the description I think it will be amazing.

Correction, I did get it to show. It's really good. It WILL be amazing

Ara
    (Oddball. Needs food, but I'd rather eat a Hutt than go near the school cafeteria...)

7. Mira_McGrath

Mira_McGrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2001
    looks pretty good so far. the lighting looks a bit dark, though. i thought i was the only one with this idea. but mines more of a memorial then a scene thing. tell me if you want to see it so far, and i'll e-mail you a copy

8. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I'm not much of an artist, but Good job! It looks very nice.

9. Mazzic

Nov 6, 2000
    That would be great to see your idea!

Speaking of which, my sketch has gone through renovations...I'll post the re-drawn sketches as soon as I can.

Thanks for all of the help!

-Mazz

10. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Okay, I finished SBS.

As Rick said : "That's f[beep] grim." ;)

Good reading, though.

Now, back to the topic :

- No belt, no breath mask for Anakin. It was taken by Vergere.

- Tahiri and Jaina, on the other hand, should have their masks around their necks, IMO.

- Maybe you should had organic 'windows'... After all, they're in a shuttle.

That's all. It's great, it describes well the situation.

11. ScarboroughFair

ScarboroughFair Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm not much of an artist, but that looks pretty good for a thumbnail. :)

12. Mazzic

Nov 6, 2000
    Thanks so much for the research! I'll make sure to add the breathmasks...

I've also added a bandoleer to Jaina, and given her a more "on guard" stance. She'll look pretty spooky.

Speaking of which, I ended up bringing her MUCH closer, so she is really standing over Anakin and Tahiri, getting the attention she deserves. I've also opened her up a bit, having her holding the rifle down closer to her waist. Her left hand will be sprouting bolts of lightening. I really wanted the viewer to feel her fierce fury.

I had forgotten that they were on the ship at this time...I'll have to see about revising the background.

Do you guys want to see another thumbnail sketch? I've got to re-do it once more, then I'll hopefully start painting. :)

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm!

-Mazz

13. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, please post the new sketch. It really interest me.

14. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I like the idea. Looks like it will be very dramatic.

15. Mazzic

Nov 6, 2000
    Hello again! I've been working on this piece a lot, and I've ended up changing more or less the mood and theme of the picture.

Since Anakin is dead, that sets the mood, but I decided to feature Jaina instead. It makes a little more sense to feature Jaina and her "Dark Journey." I really want to capture that feel in the piece. Of course, the central idea behind it all is that Anakin has died, and we mustn't forget that. Thus, I've changed the piece to be a vertical picture and incorporate Jaina much more into the piece than she was, but still have her protecting her brother's dead body.

I've been working on tons of sketches, composition shots, etc. This first picture is when I decided to make Jaina more important. I didn't like the first sketches much, and I had some great advice on how to chang them. It lead to this concept:

[EDIT - you all know how much I hate links. I think it's that to link to my Briefcase file, the URLs are too long...You're just going to have to cut and paste.]

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/vwp?.dir=/Anakin+Pic&.dnm=Jaina_Sketch01.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/lst%3f%26.dir=/Anakin%2bPic%26.src=bc%26.view=l

Which then lead to this final pose. What do you guys think?

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/vwp?.dir=/Anakin+Pic&.dnm=Jaina_Sketch02.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/lst%3f%26.dir=/Anakin%2bPic%26.src=bc%26.view=l

One thing, I know that is wrong, is that her face is conveying the wrong emotion. She's angry, yes, but I want more hurt and sadness there. It's more of a shocked, "I can't believe it!" expression. I'll also try to make it look as much like Lacey Chabert as I can when I start to paint.

I can't believe that I naively thought I'd start painting so soon last week! I should have foreseen that I would have to put much more thought into this picture.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions! Here's to hoping it turns out looking as good as everyone hopes!

-Mazz

16. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, it's getting really great, I love the second pic, you really captured the acion/dramatic mix in that scene.

Keep up the good work, it's great !!!

17. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    first off, it looks GREAT. all of them.

second off, your model of Anakin is hot. he is HOT!!!!!

ok, sorry. really, your drawings are very nicely done. i am an aspiring artist among other things, but i dont know much about it. you look like you put alot of thought, time, and emotion into this and i cant WAIT to see the final thing!
    BTW, i like the final pose for jaina, but you're right, the expression shouold be a bit more....emphasized.

18. Mazzic

Nov 6, 2000
    Okay, here is more or less what the figures' stances will be. I've obviously got to work on their faces and such, but I'm pretty happy with how the figures turned out. (Tahiri's head is too big, and Anakin doesn't resemble the "Conquest" picture. Oh, and I'll make sure to add a few day's worth of stubble on his face. :) Ew - and Anakin looks like he has woman hips?and cross dresser lips. I'll need to fix that.)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/vwp?.dir=/Anakin+Pic&.dnm=Anakin_sketch_final.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jades_fire168/lst%3f%26.dir=/Anakin%2bPic%26.src=bc%26.view=l

The background will look rather bio-techish. I'm going to try and make it resemble the inside of an alien hive from the movie "Aliens."

I'm not so sure about adding the window in?it might not go with the composition. We'll have to see when I've composed it to my canvas. Also, the breathmasks just weren't working out. It was a great idea, but it appeared too cluttered.

Any other final comments and suggesting would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting the DVD of "Lost in Space" from *Santa* for Christmas, so I'll be able to get actress Lacey Chabert's face right on hopefully.

By the way, my cousin was flattered about the "Anakin model is hot!" comment. :D You should see some of the other modeling pictures he's done for me! It was great fun having him and another friend stand in for Mazzic and Shada for me. ;)

Take care everyone! Merry Christmas!

-Mazz

19. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    he's modeled for you in other pictures?!!!
    *take control of myself* how interesting...

20. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Maybe it's just me, but that pic isn't working.

21. Mazzic

Nov 6, 2000
    Any other comments? Did the pic work for everyone else?

Thanks for your help, hopefully I'll be painting soon!

-Mazz

22. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Mazz, the pic works fine for me, and I really like the composition. Jaina's position is just great. Can't wait to see more !!!

23. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    Excellent work!, he said jealously...

One suggestion, that you've probably already considered or had someone else point out:

After the ordeal they've been through, I'd imagine that their uniforms (Anakin's especially) would be much the worse for wear. Tears, rips, you know. None of them should look "inspection-ready."

My two cents.

24. AurraMouse

AurraMouse Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 1, 2001
    The pictures great, I dont mean to be nit picky, it's just that I never remember Tahiri having curly/wavy hair.

25. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    hurry up and paint!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.