main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with Shmi Skywalker fic... speculation about her past

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Aanix_Durray, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    I want to right about Shmi's life before TPM, from when she was very young. I've already got some ideas as to what is going to happen, but I was hoping that you guys could contribute some ideas. I'll take anything!

Thanx,
    Aanix

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, we know she wasn't from tatooine originally, and she was enslaved when Anakin was only about three, as he said in TPM.

Other than that, we know she wasn't with a man before his birth (a classic connection to the Messiah mythos: Christ wasn't the only virgin birth according to many ancient mythic cycles). She is relatively unskilled, as can be seen from her service to Watto as a housekeeper or something.

She was obviously a lovely young woman, and bore Anakin fairly late: she looked about forty five or so in TPM, although that may be that slavery and Tatooine's harsh climate aged her before her time.

I actually think Shmi must have been a very exceptional woman to have been chosen as the birth mother/host for the Chosen One. I hope you don't fall into the easy trap of making her of royal blood though. I think it would be a better story if she were an exceptional person, rising above her low or average birth status to affect everyone around her, rather than that she is special by an accident of birth.

Have fun writing your story: I'll keep my eyes open for it. :)

*Derisa*

3. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    I've always imagined that Shmi would have also been very strong in the Force, but she was undiscovered.

I remember reading something, I think in the DK Episode I visual dictionary, that Shmi had had a lot of heartbreakingly close encounters with freedom, but was disappointed every time.

If you could find that Visual Dictionary it would probably be helpful. I don't remember what else it said.

4. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Thanx so much, that'll help. Her early life is very mysterious, as far as I know, and I want to give her a little more personality, she is such an interesting character. And to quell any worries, I'm not going to make her royalty, and I'm not going to give Anakin a father.

~~Aanix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.