main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help with xbox game obi-wan

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kyle_Katarn15, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle_Katarn15

Kyle_Katarn15 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2002
    I just bought an xbox, so should I buy obi-wan.
    Some tell me it is really bad and others good?!

2. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I have an X-Box and from what I've heard I didn't get it. I'd say get JO but judging from your name you probaly have it for PC. No worries though KOTOR will be here soon. :D

3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..well, i don't own an X-box, so i haven't really played "Obi-Wan".. All i can offer is this:

When i saw it on display, it looked kind of cool..

However, I have not heard ANYONE who has played it come away with a positive review..

4. Lahne_Pryok

Lahne_Pryok Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    I have it.
    I enjoyed it.
    But, it is not for everyone.
    The graphics are kinda blocky. The scenery is beautiful. But, the game gets "stuck" sometimes, not sure whats up with that. The levels are rather large, lots of secrets and stuff. Nice weapon variety, but c'mon its a saber game. The saber is sweet, you move the right thumbstick and however you move it the saber moves. Very cool. You can come up with some sweet moves.
    The two player mode is fun. Nice variety of arenas and Jedi to choose from. But, even that gets kinda old.

Overall though, I enjoyed it and if you can get it cheap, say less than $30, well, it is entertaining. I buy every SW game I can get regardless of the reviews. I give it all a shot. If I were to give it a grade, I'd say b-. Yeah, I hope that helps you.

5. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    OBI-WAN was meant to be the sequel (or Prequel, I guess) to DF2: JEDI KNIGHT. But somewhere along the way the developers hit some snags and finally decided to port it to the Xbox. I've never played the game but the few screenshots I've seen look lackluster. and of course, I've never come across a positive review. It's a good thing that LucasArts came up with JEDI OUTCAST; I guess they knew that the OB1 would be somewhat dissapointing and they probably didn't wanna ruin the Dark Forces series with a half-hearted effort.

My recommendation: if you don't have it already on your PC, then buy Outcast for your Xbox and skip OB1.

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "OBI-WAN was meant to be the sequel (or Prequel, I guess) to DF2: JEDI KNIGHT."

The developers stated over and over that most everybody was saying that OBI-WAN was the next game in the Dark Forces series, when it in fact was not. That was one of the reasons why it was cancelled for PC. :)

7. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    I agree with Lahne_Pryok. It is a fun game to go through if you don't mind substandard graphics and voice acting. Once you get really good it is fun to whip up on Mace and Darth Maul killing them in less than a minute or seconds on Maul.

My understanding that Obi-wan was originally targeted for a fall PC release after Episode I. It was not a sequel/prequel to JK..it just used its graphics engine with a few tweeks. THen they decided to make it a console game and kept the levels the same.

8. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of Obi Wan. Yeah, the graphics weren't up to Halo standards, but then again look at how many cross-console games are coming out which have PS2 level graphics even on the X-Box versions. Factor that in, and IMHO Obi Wan's graphics are at least average for the X-Box library.

What I really like about it is the control scheme. Using the right thumbstick to control the saber was a master stroke, and one which I wish had been carried over to the X-Box port of Jedi Outcast. It's just a really smooth, satisfying way of controlling a sword, and it made the swordfights an awful lot of fun IMHO. The levels were designed pretty well, the enemies didn't have the world's greatest AI, but then again they were mostly battledroids anyway, right?

I'd say that if you're not hung up on every game having the best graphics known to man, and if you can snag a cheap used copy, definitely go for it. You might also think about renting it first if you're into renting games. IMHO it didn't get a real fair shake from a lot of gamers. (Your mileage may vary, of course...)

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The developers stated over and over that most everybody was saying that OBI-WAN was the next game in the Dark Forces series, when it in fact was not.

When first announced, Lucasarts called Obi-Wan the newest game in the DF series. They withrew that line pretty quickly though.

That was one of the reasons why it was cancelled for PC.

Lucasarts boardroom, early 2001:

"OMG those kids are STILL saying that Obi-Wan is the SEQUEL to JK & MOTS!"

> "Right then, that's the last straw. Cancel teh game!"

"But what if they start intronet petitions?"

> "Too bad, for once we'll ignore them..."

10. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I enjoyed it and if you can get it cheap, say less than $30, well, it is entertaining. I buy every SW game I can get regardless of the reviews. I give it all a shot.

I used to be of the same mind till I played JPB and TPM. I couldn't even get past the fist few level because I was so dissapointed with them. At lest the crop of EP2 games seem to be better this time around. Though I've yet to play BH and CW.

11. Badnews

Badnews Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    I have this game and I had a lot of fun with it. It had a cool lightsaber control and decent graphics. You might want to look around for a good price because it is an older game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.