main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Tetsuo_Shima, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetsuo_Shima

Tetsuo_Shima Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    OK this is really bothering me and I need an anwser so please please help. I heard somewhere that when Luke is getting shocked by the Emperor it's lucas that directed it along with the whole throwing the Emperor in the shaft. But what I need to know is if George directed ALL the scenes with the Emperor's throne room or just that small part. PLEASE HELP ME LOL.

2. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    I've never heard anything anywhere about Lucas directing any of Jedi. As far as I know Richard Marquand directed the whole film. It's very possible Lucas could have directed a scene or two though. I don't remember him saying anything in the commentary for the DVD's though.

3. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    To the best of my knowledge, Lucas personally directed the throneroom scenes and Anakin's death scene.

Whether he directed ALL the throneroom scenes, I don't know.

4. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Jul 26, 2004
    I stand corrected. I'd never heard that before.

5. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    If I can find a direct quote for confirmation, I'll post it later. Too tired to look right now. :)

6. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Here's some trivia from IMDB: (not the most reliable source, mind you)

According to a magazine interview with Irvin Kershner in May 2004, Kershner states that Richard Marquand didn't direct all of Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), it was Kershner's assistant director and Lucas who took over after the actors didn't respond very well to Richard Marquand. The relationship between Marquand and Lucas was said to be bad.

Cinematographer Alan Hume had a falling-out with the producers late in production, mainly owing to the fact that he felt they were mistreating Richard Marquand. Hume was never officially sacked, but most of the photography in the last month of production was supervised by camera operator Alec Mills.

7. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    In the Empire of Dreams doc GL states that Marquand had problems understand how the special effects would work......so Lucas basically was there everyday helping. He directed some of the Rancor stuff (From Star Wars to Jedi) and I think on Endor you can hear him yell cut or action of something during Empire of Dreams.

8. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    I don't remember it very well but it seems to me that in one of the interviews Marquand said that though he had directed ROTJ, it was like (with all the proportions) directing "Hamlet" with Shakespeare on the set.

9. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Jul 26, 2004
    I don't remember it very well but it seems to me that in one of the interviews Marquand said that though he had directed ROTJ, it was like (with all the proportions) directing "Hamlet" with Shakespeare on the set.

I might just have to rewatch the Empire of Dreams doc. I assume that the interview you're referring to was an older one, as Marquand died in 1987? I honestly don't remember seeing an interview with him.

10. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Ian Mcdiarmid said that Lucas directed the Emperor death scene. But he also talks about Marquand so it is unlikely Lucas did all the throne room scenes.

11. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Yes, I mean I've read sth like that in some film magazine in late 80s, that's why I don't remember it very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.