main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Help!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've been having a music-related argument at another forum. If I repost it here, you guys wanna help me out a little?

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    It would really help if we knew what you were discussing.

3. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
  4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    The relationship between Conan the Barbarian and Carmina Burana. More specifically, whether Poledouris is just a "hollywood hack" who "ripped off" Orff, or whether Conan is respectable music in its own right.

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Here's the conversation: here

6. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, from what I read on those threads, the people commenting on Orff "better" have bigger issues then just this case. They don't seem to have the slightest hinting that they accept film score as a legitimate, SEPARATE genre that happens to be orchestral music. I think the fact that they are validating the worth of one over the other based upon the popular opinions of Orchestra Directors show the weight of their arguements. Personally, I probably would just walk away from the arguement. I think that CTB is one of my favorite scores (great for playing games to as well), and am content to keep it that way.

7. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    From a "film music" perspective, Conan the Barbarian was highly original. It was much different from the synthesizer experimentation scores of the time. It does draw influence from traditional classical music (especially Prokofiev...gotta love Prokofiev if you're into film music) but so does every single score.

As for those who argue that film scores are not legitimate classical music, they are eventually going to lose. Classical music is "evolving" and film music is the form. I bet you that the ones who argue the P.O.V. that it's not legitimate are the ones who are still stuck in Baroque.

Ask this: Do they know that Igor Stravinsky was offered by MGM (or was it Universal?) to score a movie. He demanded (I believe it was) $30,000 and a year to write it. They said no, and he effectively replied, "how can one expect to write anything decent in under a year?"

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Thanks. We can close this now, or let it die, or whatever.

9. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Prokofiev's influence definitly was evident in the Conan score. Heck, even the trailer used a part of the cue from the ice battle in Alexander Nevsky. But I can't see how Conan the Barbarian's score could be considered a rip off either. I can't think of many Hollywood scores that come as close to Nevsky's operatic style as Conan's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.