main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Helpy Helpers'

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Porkins in a Speedo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    please make them stop. it's extremely annoying, unnecessary, and often times doesn't really add anything to the discussion. no, i'm not 'attacking' anyone. :)rolleyes) i have nothing against these people personally, but c'mon, it's getting ridiculous.

p.s. plz don't ban me. thx.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Do you have an example of what you're talking about?

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Have you considered that some people feel similarly towards people who post just an image in a thread from time to time, or any number of other things that might be considered bothersome to different people?

4. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Sorry, but I'm completely lost. What are "Help Helpers"? Just curious.

Aunecah

5. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    Have you considered that some people feel similarly towards people who post just an image in a thread from time to time, or any number of other things that might be considered bothersome to different people?

yep. but i'm talking about here in comms.

always looking for the worst in 'evil bastards' like me, eh?

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not looking for the worst, but rather pointing out that there are quite a few things that different people find annoying (or worse).

Should we consider imposing a standard on what kind of posts should be allowed here (as opposed to those that aren't allowed)?

7. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
  8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I'd rather have a dozen helpy-helpers than none at all, at least within the forums. Y'know, posting a link to the correct thread and maybe a :) for good measure. Frankly, I encourage that sort of behavior (not that anyone is interested in the Adam Seal of Approval, lol)

If Porkins' intention is to target those ONLY within Comm.s, then perhaps discussion is neccesary. Comm.s is at best a place where we can get things handled quickly, efficiently and over with (things of a "why is the board broken" and "what is the moderating policy on Matrix spoilers" variety, not things resulting in drama), and perhaps then, someone posting "I agree, my PMs are not working either", might not help much.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    I'm not looking for the worst, but rather pointing out that there are quite a few things that different people find annoying (or worse).

you pointed out image-posting-without-text. something that i was told isn't allowed in comms. so, it's pretty much moot.

Should we consider imposing a standard on what kind of posts should be allowed here (as opposed to those that aren't allowed)?

i thought there already were standards for what is allowed in comms. my complaint against Helpy Helper type posts isn't just personal taste. it would help if you could look beyond that.

what's ironic is that a lot (read: a lot, not all) of the Helpy Helper type posts are just as much 'spam' as many of the other things people like to call 'spam'. and when comms threads get cluttered with these types of posts, it becomes a nuisance just like the 'thanks for the update' type posts that are now frowned upon in the MS update threads.

FlamingSword, 10 points for sarcasm. ;)

EDIT: posting links is hardly the crux of the issue.

10. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    What type of "helpful" posts do you not like? Is it posts by users that are doing what a mod usually does, (ex. This should be here instead :) )?

If you give an example without naming names, it would help out a lot.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    you pointed out image-posting-without-text. something that i was told isn't allowed in comms. so, it's pretty much moot.

I was referring to the JC in general, but you're right about just Communications.

To be honest, I know what you're talking about, and I find them rather annoying myself sometimes. They can also be quite helpful, and that's part of what makes it hard for me to imagine outlawing such posts. It's often just a matter of timing.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    PiaS...
    It's no big deal.

Take satisfaction that "Mr. Helpy Helper" is most likely doomed to spend the rest of his goody two-shoes days posting to a Star Wars fan internet message board...

...oh wait... d'oh.

Just pants the dude.

13. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    right... wot tae **** is a 'helpy helpers'????? ?[face_plain]

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    You don't know what a "helpy helper" is?!? :eek:

When it's a possible front-runner to be the name of Smashmouth's next album ("Spank Your Helpy Helper"), the term has reached pop culture critical mass. Evidently, you missed out on the phenomenon somewhere along the line.

I'd help you, but I don't want to get pants'ed by some evil Mr. Meany Meany.

15. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    actually, it's taken from Ace Ventura.

To be honest, I know what you're talking about, and I find them rather annoying myself sometimes.

and i think most other people know what i'm talking about too, and also find it rather annoying at times.

and i never said anything about outlawing them. just try to at least curtail it and calm these people down. they're not just annoying but also even obnoxious and completely clueless at times.

16. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Spank you Helpy Helperton!

17. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Okay, now in areas of the JC in general, isn't that what members are encouraged to do? To help those around them? :confused:

18. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    [image=http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smilies/animated/banghead.gif]

ugh.

19. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    When I was very young -- younger than you, little Stridarious -- I came upon a ringed '00 n00b at the end of its metomorphosis, still within its cocoon. I had already some touch with the Force; I could feel the n00b's pain, its panic, its claustrophobia, its hopelessly desperate struggle to free itself. It was as though this particular newbie knew I was beside it, and screamed out to me for help.

How could I refuse?

'00 n00b cocoons are polychained silicates -- very, very tough -- and n00bs are so delicate, so beautiful: gentle creatures whose only purpose is to sing to the night sky. So I gave it what I think you mean by help: I used a small utility cutter to slice the cocoon, to help this '00 n00b get out.

But, you see, you can't help a n00b by cutting its cocoon. It needs the effort; the struggle to break the cocoon forces blood into its fingers. Of you cut the cocoon, the n00b will be crippled. Unable to post normally.

Yes, it was a tragic creature -- never to post, never to join its fellows in spamming and flaming under the moons. Even its markup codes were stunted, its faces contorted.

During that long summer, we sometimes saw moonsongs being posted to the message board, and from my n00b I would feel always only sadness and bitter envy, that it could never soar through the forums, that its voice would never rise in song. I cared for it hte best I could -- but the life of a newbie is short, you know; they spend years and years as larvae, storing strength for one single summer of dance and song.

I robbed that newbie, I stole its destiny -- because I helped it.

(With much apologies to Matt Stover.)

20. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    How can you sleep at night Genghis?

21. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    HEY!! This is a direct affront to me!!

I mean come on, thats my job!!

(see the sig)

IJG

22. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Helping is bad... mmmm'kay!!

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Let me see if I have the gist of what Pias is saying. This is The Communcations forum, a place people come to get help from the mods and admins on various issues. As such, when a request for comes up, more often then not, it should mods responding to that request, not regular users.

Am I reading it right?

24. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    in a way, yes. it's very annoying when a regular member in comms acts as if you are asking them personally for a response on behalf of the administration. there's a difference between giving your opinion and acting like you are a part of the administration. and we don't need regular members saying things like "i'll look into it" or "thank you for bringing this to my attention". STOP THAT! >:eek:

it's also very annoying when people just post ass-kissing nonsense and don't really add anything the discussion. why aren't the 'spam' officials attacking this action? as far as i'm concerned, those types of posts are just as much 'spam' as posting 'OMGLOROOFLEOTFLMAOLOLO'. now, i don't mean to say that people shouldn't be allowed to compliment the administration, but a lot of times people will post blind devotion and praise without even really thinking about what the issue is. it's obvious in their posts, at times, that they don't really know what the issue is and it just seems like someone pulled their string. STOP THAT! >:eek:

25. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    mmmmmm... i'll look into this for you, PiaS!!

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.