'Helpy Helpers'

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Porkins in a Speedo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight

star 5
  2. TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Master

star 5
  3. Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight

star 5
    where is god's cleansing hand when you need it?...
  4. TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Master

star 5
    probably up yer a...

anyway, only trying to help!!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  5. GabeC Jedi Youngling

star 4
    anyway, only trying to help!!

TK_Four_Two_One, if you really want to help, press this link. :)
  6. Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I hear ya Porkins but there is nothing that can be done other than posting sarcastic and/or funny replies to Helpy Helper posts (not recommended).

You can't just say to someone "Stop trying to be a Mod and/or Helpy Helper" their little well-planned suck-up routine is engineered to succeed no matter how much bitter resentment comes from other people. Mods will laugh at them behind their backs but their persistence will eventually make them succeed. Just look at Sapient ;)

Oh and additionally on a personal level, anywhere else except Comms I like this sort of stuff. Eg. Redirecting threads in movie forums, telling new people the answer that the rest of the world arrived at in 1679, etc.
  7. TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Master

star 5
    LOL thats an old one- i click on that and it logs me off. BTW i was being sarcastic. ;)

And jus for you, GabeC!
  8. GabeC Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I don't have a problem with people that post links to existing threads in redundant ones. I do it myself, not becouse i want to become a mod or anything, i just do it becouse i enjoy posting here, and if i feel that i can help out by posting a link, or giving a newbie some info every now and than, i do it. It's the least i can do in return for all the good times this place has given me over the years.

What i do have a problem with, are people that do nothing but post the obvious, and never add anything usefull to the discussion. One person comes to mind, i won't name him, but lately he has been sorta 'spamming' comms with useless posts.
    I'm sure you know who i'm talking about. I know PiaS does, since he quoted him earlier.

[EDIT]
    No, i'm not talking about you TK_Four_Two_One.
  9. TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Master

star 5
    are you talking about me?
  10. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Right guys, I might not be one of the Communications mods, but I can say that if you dont intend to make a proper contribution to this discussion, then dont post in here. I dont want to see any more irrelevant posts in this thread.

PiaS, as far as it goes for me, I much prefer to see people stay out of a discussion unless they have something to add to it.
    But not all regular members that agree with the administration are simply 'helpy helpers' trying to be noticed, or bignote themselves. Sometimes when a mod is struggling to find the right way to say something, it can be helpful for another person, mod or member, to come in and rephrase it in a better manner.

Other than that though, poor posting, whether pro- or anti-administration, can be a nuisance.
  11. BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight

star 5
    I feel it's kiss-assy to be all helpy. Unless it's your job as a mod to re-direct posts, you really look like a wanna-be, in my opinion.Also, the unsolicited advice is usually wrong, or it comes in response to a post that is out of context to the "helpy" because he or she didn't bother reading earlier posts.

Seriously, if you can't see the whole teacher's pet suck-up vibe attached to the helpy business,well...you either enjoy the sucking up or are a person who enjoys acting superior. These are not nails in the street, or syringes in the playground: they are posts of words, and if they bother you enough to make you want to make yourself look like an anal retentive busy body with nothing better to do with your life, the help on, Mr Helpy McHelphelp. Oh, and put a bunch of Mods on your Watched Users list...really, they'll make you a mod someday for it.....smooch, on, brown-nosed helpys!

I had no idea I was so bothered by the helpys until I read this thread.
  12. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Just look at Sapient Hardy har har

I'll be the last person to toss a helpful person to the side for the sake of it being me and me alone who answers the question. I don't have all the answers.

How about this for the future, PiaS? And this advice seriously solves about 95% of all problems on the boards. When you see something like this, PM that person immediately and ask them to refrain from that or that you see it as coming across in the wrong way.

I just don't see any real way of reaching resolution on this thread and not have it go on forever without any real progress. Or when you see it again, PM any mod and tell them that post X by user Y didn't strike you the right way and you'd like a second set of eyes.

And if the mod agrees with the way you see it to kindly PM that user and state that you've been receiving complaints via PM's regarding their Communications Forum posting and perhaps they should refrain from that type of post in the future.
  13. yodaboy Jedi Master

star 5
    What the hell is a helpy helper?
  14. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I mean no offense in this response but please start back in the initial post and read down page one. You'll completely understand. :)
  15. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
    I feel very ashamed that I knew EXACTLY where Genghis was going from his first sentence... :(

But, as Adam has said above, I'd prefer 1 actual helpful post and 11 well-meaning but not helpful posts than no one helping at all...
  16. mac-nut Jedi Knight

star 5
    Sape, I read the whole thread..... I'm still lost, still don't know what PiaS is fussing about. ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] maybe some of us aren't as smart as PiaS? or perhaps some of us are abit more thoughtful of others having a problem or question here? [face_plain]
  17. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Right, instead of ridiculing someone whose interested in helping out, how about trying this novel idea?

Just ignore them if you find it annoying.
  18. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

If they're being legitimately helpful, then there's absolutely no problem; in fact, it's really good. You see, helpful = good.

However, I have noticed certain users trying oh-so very hard to be helpful, but failing miserably. Instead, their posts are at best annoying-as-heck, and at worst spam.

EDIT: Just ignore them if you find it annoying.

That doesn't always work if they post multiple times in multiple threads.

19. FlamingSword Jedi Knight

star 6
    People do want to appear helpful without actually trying to see if they are helpful. One post stating what the right board is or who to contact is enough. Four, five, or ten posts is too many. If someone has already provided the information, there is no need to continue posting.

And yes, I can ignore them, but it still can be annoying. :p
  20. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    But if being annoying is bannable, we're going to have lots of problems.
  21. FlamingSword Jedi Knight

star 6
    Yeah, none of us would be here. ;)
  22. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just say the word, Sap. [face_mischief]
  23. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

In some cases it goes far beyond simply being annoying.

24. Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight

star 5
    "However, I have noticed certain users trying oh-so very hard to be helpful, but failing miserably. Instead, their posts are at best annoying-as-heck, and at worst spam."

Could you please provide an example of someone doing this? :)
  25. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

No. As much as I would like to, that wouldn't be a very nice thing to do, now would it?

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.