main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Her First Step Forward (First Day Challenge, Shmi/Cliegg)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by karebear214, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    An extremely short viggie in response to the First Day Challenge

Dear my love, haven't you wanted to be with me
    And dear my love, haven't you longed to be free?

- Evanescence

Shmi let herself be pulled into Cliegg's comforting embrace. She tried, unsuccessfully, to stop the tears from falling as she took one last look around the small hovel that had been home for the last decade and a half. It wasn't that she didn't want to leave the slave quarters, and everything they represented, behind, but a part of her felt like she was giving up her last link to her son. No longer would she be able to curl up on his bed, losing herself in the memories of his bedroom, untouched, exactly the way he had left it. Who knew what would happen to his space when she was no longer there to protect it?

She took a deep breath, looked into her rescuer's face, and nodded. She was ready now. Cliegg took her hand, leading her gently away from the place of hidden dreams and nightmares. "He'll always be with you, you know," he told her, placing his hand over her heart. She nodded. "I told him... I told him not to look back." She gave a weak smile. "I guess it's time I took my own advice."

She fell asleep in the speeder over the day-long trip across the Dune Sea, and dreamed of Anakin. For the first time, the vision was not accompanied by bittersweet longing. Of course, as always, she wanted him with her, but she no longer needed to feel guilty that she could not offer him the life he deserved. Certainly, he would be a Jedi now, a hero, not a backwater farmer, but she would not have to be ashamed to face him when he returned.

As she opened her eyes and glimpsed the moisture farm that would be the first real home she'd had since childhood, she felt, for the first time, truly free. Her hand reached out for Cliegg's, though she dared not look at him. "Thank you," she whispered. He didn't reply, and when she finally did look up, she did not know if he had heard, but she knew that he felt the strength of her love.

They crossed the threshold hand in hand, her first step forward into a new life.

2. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Nice! I'd never have thought about doing Shmi's first day away from Watto... but this is good.

3. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Fantastic first! That is one I wouldn't have thought of either, but it was perfect.
    I especially love the part about taking her own advice and not looking back.

4. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Awww! This was perfect. :)

It wasn't that she didn't want to leave the slave quarters, and everything they represented, behind, but a part of her felt like she was giving up her last link to her son. No longer would she be able to curl up on his bed, losing herself in the memories of his bedroom, untouched, exactly the way he had left it. Who knew what would happen to his space when she was no longer there to protect it?

That was so sad. My heart went out to her here.

Excellent response to the challenge.

5. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    How sweet! And kinda sad. But aren't all "first days"?

This is a wonderful first, I'm so glad you wrote it. It's just beautiful.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Great idea! I love the kickback to what she told Anakin.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was a very lovely first day viggie. I liked the way you had her be so sad because she was leaving the last connection with Anakin and Cliegg being so supportive of her.

Good job.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ohhh, that was lovely... "I told him... I told him not to look back." She gave a weak smile. "I guess it's time I took my own advice." , that nearly broke my heart!

Superb viggie karebear214. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.