main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Her mother had been dead before Alderaan blew up, so wouldn't she be Queen already?"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Jun 19, 2013.

1. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Leia wouldn't be Queen until Bail was gone.

Because if Bail was king and Leia was Queen then that would kind of be awkward, if you know what I mean. Not that Leia ever really shied away from incest . . .

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Retention of a courtesy title by a widow or widower is exceedingly common, even de rigeur.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You're not the King if you're the husband of the reigning Queen. In that case, you're just a prince consort. And ROTS novel pretty much confirm this: "On Alderaan, the Prince Consort delivers a baby girl into the loving arms of his Queen."

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, there IS such a thing as a king consort -- just not on Alderaan. Or in Great Britain.

5. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I think Phillip of Spain was King-Consort to Queen Mary Tudor.

Albert would have been King-Consort to Victoria if the British Government didn't hate his guts. Same deal with Matilda and the Duke of Anjou....probably.

Regardless I question this "evidence" of Breha dying before ANH, since Leia clearly mentions she was still alive in Marvel Comics, wondering whether Bail was with "mother" when the Death Star hit.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I would be more than happy to give priority to that old piece of Marvel continuity, but those comics are only "S (secondary) canon". Which means its content is made available to be used or discarded as needed by later "C (continuity) canon" authors.

I've been trying to get Leland Chee to answer that question: "When did Breha die?", but he never did. Sometimes I think he is avoiding that question.

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    No matter who was King or Queen of Aldreaan during this era, may the Maker save them :) Anything to prevent this very uncivilized democratic system of government from spreading and threatening the Galaxy:)

I would have thought too that once Alderaan was destroyed that maybe one of the surviving Panteer brothers would claim the throne, or I would also imagine someone would have to be alive on Delaya of noble birth to make a challenge to the throne as well.