main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Here and (getting) there, (from) everywhere: Flight tips

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by DarthBreezy, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The maps on SeatGuru are out of date in some places. The map for the American Airlines MD-80 doesn't match with the seating configuration shown on AA.com, so you may need to check the airline's web site for such info.

Another thing to bear in mind is where you'll be sitting. Certain aircraft (DC-9's, MD-80s, and most regional jets) have side mounted engines in the back of the plane which can be quite irritating. Be sure to look at the type of aircraft you'll be flying in and then consult http://www.airliners.net and you can use their photo database to look for the type of aircraft you'll be flying in. This can help you with selecting a nice, quiet seat.

Personally, I prefer a window seat. :D

2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    It would really suck if I'd miss my connection flight from point B to point C because the flight from point A delayed for some time. It would especially suck as I don't own a credit card and would have to pay the extra money cash.
    Any other solution to this?

3. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
  4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    If your flight is late and you miss your connecting flight, the airlines MUST get you to your destination for NO EXTRA CHARGE. It's happened to me a couple of times. You have to go to their information desk and wait in line (because a lot of other people on your plane will have missed their connections, too). If there are no more flights that evening then they MUST put you up in a hotel on THEIR dime and get you home on a flight the next morning.

People only end up sleeping in the airport when it's a weather problem and there are no vacant hotel rooms.

If the wait is exceptionally long like 4 or more hours, they should give you a meal voucher that will be good for any of the eating places in the airport. If you get stuck in Atlanta, the deli on Concourse B is nice, but stay away from the fried chicken on Concourse C; too greasy.

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    LOL
    I think in case the flight gets delayed/ cancelled I'll be stuck on Washington D.C. Internation Airport.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well for those flying in from the UK, I would suggest deckchair.com I found that you can fly from London to Indy (leave april 19th return the 25th) from 320 quid...

7. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Ok. i did a test back of my vader suit.

I was suprised that i can fit the face of the mask im my ludge and just padd it with my suit and cape. But the dome, the huge dome.. Where do i put it. Ive heard in the past that they would let people carry on there trooper helmet and hold it in there laps. But in todays world will they let me do that with my fiberglass dome..

Thanks.

8. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    As it is fiberglass and not metal, and it can easily inspected to show there is nothing hidden or any sharpened edges.

I must say that in thinking of how my TIE Pilot costume might appear on an Xray scan with the wires, tubes, as well as the blaster. So, I am thinking that I may try to mail my helmet, blaster, and chest box to my hotel.

9. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Im worried they would think i could club someone with it.

10. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Um, what about wearing it? Can they stop you from using it as a hat?

If they were worried about you clubbing someone, I guess they couldn't allow hardback novels on airplanes.

I doubt that clubbing is a concern as it isn't much of a threat when there is only one against a plane load of people.

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Another thing to beware of is weight. 50 lbs maximum inside the US, 70 lbs maximum international for each checked suitcase. And the airlines are weighing every ounce and charging $25 or more for over-weight bags, if they'll let you take it at all. 2 checked bags maximum; they'll charge you for more than 2, again, if they'll let you do it. A lot depends on whether you're on a big jet, or a small commuter plane.

So, if you have anything big and heavy to bring, or plan on buying something big and heavy, consider having it shipped.

12. Yub-o-licious

Yub-o-licious Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2005
    I was lazy, so if someone posted already sorry! Consider AirTrans. They have cheap deals in general for most flights, but limited hubs. Check them out, because I know I saw some flights from Jersey to Indy when I checked for a friend for 76.00 round trip then taxes, etc. Just an idea. :)

13. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    As for luggage, check the individual airline. They all have different allowances.

US Airways allows :

2 checked bags
    1 carryon
    1 personal item (back pack/purse)

Checked bags cannot weigh more than 50lbs and have dimensions greater than 62x62x62"

Personal items cannot exceed 36 inches.

Carryon luggage must fit these dimensions:

Valet Closet--45L x 23 1/2W x 4H

Overhead Stowage--24L x 16W x 10H

Underseat Stowage--21L x 16W x 8H

I plan on carrying a backpack, a garment bag (the more delicate costumes) a tupperware containter strapped shut and a suit case.

But I suggest checking with each airline for their requirements.

14. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    Southwest - Orlando, Fl to Indy

Just a fare alert. They have a non stop for $59 each way. You might want to check them out if you haven't purchased your tickets and are in the area. I checked Wednesday with a Sunday return.

15. SkoXylo

SkoXylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Just to let you know, Evansville, IN is getting ready to offer flights to Indianapolis, so you may see rate decreases on 1 or 2 stop flights in the near future. :)

16. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Not to scare folks or anything, but US Airways is in a financial crunch at the moment and some airline industry analysts have speculated that they may close sometime during the first quarter of this year if things don't improve for them real quick. As I said, I'm not trying to scare anyone, but if you're still looking for flight tix, read a bit about the airline before buying. There are plenty of resources available online which could give you some idea as to the overall financial health of the airline you're looking to book your flight with.

17. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks for posting that, Jedi Girl of Corellia! USAir is what I'm flying in on. :)

18. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Kyle, thanks for letting me know... if they close they refund the tickets right? As long as they do that I'm ok.

No problem Shona :D

19. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Actually, the concern would be that they would go belly up completely and enter bankruptcy and be free of having to refund the tickets. Often, other carriers have taken the tickets as credit towards a flight of theirs.

My biggest gripe right now is that I already have non-refundable tickets and a price war is about to start!

20. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Dunno, a refund depends upon certain circumstances. If US Airways goes under tomorrow, then Federal law says that other airlines must honor those tickets for that day only. I believe all other travel must be rebooked through a different carrier and I have no idea about what will become of your money used to pay for the other tickets.

21. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    OK, re-read some of the laws, looks like they will be forced to honor your ticket, but it'll be on a Standby basis, meaning that you may get on the plane if some of the passengers haven't arrived at the airport by the time of departure and their seats are still available. Take into account that this hinges upon a lot of factors and may also involve a nominal fee as well. If you're REALLY on pins and needles about it, you may want to contact a travel professional or speak to the airline directly. It may not go over well with the airline rep, but it's something you ought to inquire about when travelling with a carrier which is teetering on the verge of going under.

22. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    ...waiting for my class schedule before I can book the flight - need to make sure I don't have an exam on the Thursday.

Next week - tickets bought!

23. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    According to sources in the financial industry, U.S. Air has enough money to keep flying through June.

However, if you're the least bit nervous, here's a tip from a seasoned flyer -- if you are planning to get tickets on US(less) Air -- GET A PAPER TICKET! It will cost more, but it will make all the difference if you have to scramble to get on another airline. When problems arise, e-tickets aren't worth the paper they're printed on <g>. Trust me on this.

24. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    They have the money now, but earlier, it was unknown whether they'd have the cash or not. The ATSB gave them a crapload of money with the stipulation that they must be at 3 million in cash by the end of June.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.