main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Here are the new Villains of Star Wars: Episode VII (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by nld3, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I want new and I don't want new.

This is all rehash and it's all way too different.

Good luck, world. This is the culture we've produced. :p

Immortiss, Bob Octa, Redimet and 2 others like this.
  2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    If the superweapon rumors are true, then we know almost nothing about it. Who is trying to use it? For what goal? What does the weapon do? So far we've mainly focused on the villain's relationship to Luke, but what are the villain's goals with respect to the galaxy? I think there's much we don't know, even if many of these rumors are accurate.

Redimet and Satipo like this.
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think people are misunderstanding the whole "new vs old" debate.

People want new worlds, new costumes, new ships, new characters, etc wrapped up in a new plot line. For example, Stormtroopers are okay, but make them new and interesting.

However, they want the old structure. Opening crawl followed by a ship with a generally straightforward story and no weird gimicks and the same basic structure. (like a floating hand, flashbacks, or shaky cameras.) People would also like some familiarity in the Big 3, the use of the light and dark side of the Force and some connection to the whole story. They just want it in a backdrop of nuances in terms of planets, ships, etc.

I don't think that is too much to ask.

As far as Luke being captured after ROTJ (whether it be immediately or soon after) there's an easy explanation to this.

Sure, Luke defeated Vader and the Empire, but he did not do it due to immense power. He did it through sheer tenacity. His saber skills were still somewhat weak and while Yoda called him a Jedi, he was still far from being a Super Jedi we all want him to be.

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think given we've seen all of about 4/5 designs, some of which may not even be in the movie, it's very likely we will get plenty of new to go with the familiar. The incendiary stormtroopers seem fresh. The old troopers feel like a natural evolution in the way the clones became the old bucket heads... I think/ hope we'll be OK. But I suppose at this stage, there is little evidence to ease those concerns for those who are worried about the nostalgia factor.

5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    It just feels like artists have trouble creating brand new villain costumes these days.

but we haven't seen all of final villain concepts yet so I wouldn't put much stock into that cyborg thingy looking at Vader's helmet

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Also, if the latest word on that concept is correct, it may not have got past the concept stage.

TK327, Redimet and Dra--- like this.
  7. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Haha, now I remember, this was the guy who claimed Boyega WAS a Stormtrooper before the defeat of the Empire ,totally reliable dude.

Edit: Ignore. Posted in the wrong thread.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm still hoping it's not a coincidence that the leaks and officially released stuff have all been things that were pretty much guaranteed to return the moment Disney bought the rights. Showing off an X-Wing and updated stormtroopers seems like an ideal way to get excitement going without really giving away anything. Now if it turns out that most of the actual film can be described as a slightly updated OT, then yeah, I'll be disappointed. I can be down with revisiting some elements, but it will be a waste for me if overall the film doesn't feel like a fresh new era both in plot and visual design.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  9. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I'm not sure what all the panic is about, like you say the troopers look sweet but I disagree, we have plenty of things to ease concern. We have the leaked set pics, Kevin Smiths heartfelt testimony, a badass Mark Hamill, John and Daisy's excitement, a fantastic crew and an awesome cast list. Will it live up to peoples crazy expectations? Who knows but everything is in place to make a great Star Wars film.

As for another cyborg villain thing I'm cool with that especially if they served under Vader.

Here's a little theory I had years ago after watching Phantom Menace for the first time. After seeing Anakins aptitude for building things I figured cool, it's clearly leading to him rebuilding himself as Vader, I wanted to see him become more machine over the next couple of movies until he has the duel and fully becomes Vader. I was kinda sad we never saw that, but what if Anakins skills come into play now instead, what if he rebuilt this guy almost like a twisted surrogate father. If these Inquisitors were under Vaders command I can see him tinkering with and improving the broken ones.

Also while we're on crazy theories, just throwing it out there, what if these guys are now under an ancient Darth Mauls command?

markdeez, Cevan, Han Drolo and 3 others like this.
  10. -Redacted-

-Redacted- Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2013

It's Star Wars, stuff is going to leak. No way you can keep everything under lock and key, way too many people are involved, and so many different people see it, it's hard to keep everything locked down.

Darth Malgus likes this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    After just 30 years? I don't think there will be that much change - rebellions against the Empire on some worlds may have been successful, maybe not so on others. The Empire will still be there but smaller, maybe using it's muscle as the Trade Federation did to persuade worlds to join.

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It's worth reading into the background of Inquisitorius, especially their mastery of the Force. The cyborg could be the Grand Inquisitor, but again I doubt he/she is the main villain. In the original ST drafts, the villain is meant to be more evil than the demon in the Exorcist - which doesn't fit the description of an Inquisitor.

Redimet, CGI-BOBAFENT and Dra--- like this.
  13. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    If we are going to have Inquisitors I'm down with that, but we need a bigger badder lead enemy one who ups the risk factor more then the Emperor. I agree with statements on here that if a Vader obsessed Inquisitor is the main villain then it diminishes the threat of the villain and puts more focus on how powerful Vader was which you don't want for a movie, otherwise why be so threatened by this guy if he isn't as powerful as Vader? This is why I think that if this rumor is true then there has to be a more dangerous villain in the overall trilogy.

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think we won't see the true villain until the end of Episode VII

Dra--- and Darth Malgus like this.
  15. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I agree, but the trick here is to create a memorable and intimidating villain for the first movie of the trilogy.

16. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    If the plan is to introduce an "end of level boss" then this will be the end game plan. He/She/It may not even show up until the next trilogy (if there is one). Marvel recognises this with Thanos. Where do you go after a Demi-God? That's why he's been used so sparingly in their movies. It builds the anticipation.

If you look at other successful franchise such as Buffy, they recognised what was happening and went smaller after Season 5's Glory. The 'big bad' evil for Season 6 came from within in the form of one of their own. Smart move, even if the finale for that season split the fans. But I digress ...

TtheForceHurts and Dra--- like this.
  17. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Oh there will be a much bigger baddie than just Inquisitors.

I can't help but to think of GOTG in terms of heirarchy of villains (but not with the same outcome).

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    what st drafts?

markdeez likes this.
  19. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014

Couldn't agree more, wanted to post basically the same thing.

_Ideally_, major baddie has to be:
    a) A Sith.
    b) More powerful and worse then Sideous.
    c) Skywalker.
    d) Not retconed as a character. His character naturally emerges in events following RoJ in a prefect flow.
    There is a very good reason why we never heard of him/her before thus far.

As for the "Inquisitors", personally I think it's a good idea for a minor baddies. Here is why: Sith deal in absolutes and require absolute obedience by their subjects. They in a way consider themselves Gods or God-like figures. Every God has "high-priests". Those "high-priests", or "inquisitors" or "elder statesmen", are their flame-keepers. They are not strong with the Force, they are ordinary people but they are ruthless towards other ordinary people. They operate in secret, kind of like a cult. Now why we haven't seen them so far - don't ask. Perhaps because there was always Palpatine/Sideous. Their importance increases when there is no Sith, when their lineage is broken.

20. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Personally, I really like the latest Latino Review rumors and how the infomation potentially ties several things together, sets up the "new trio" and the direction of the ST etc.... Just some point form thoughts about the rumors and how they fit in/tie everything together.....

- If Issac's character has the Falcon now it would probably mean he is the third member of a trio of heroes along with Daisy and Boyega, as some early rumors indicated. It would also lead some credibility to rumor of him playing a "Han Solo-type" character, if he did in fact win the Falcon from Han at some point

- I know a lot of people want to see Gleason playing Lukes son, however if Luke is missing and/or been help captive by the Inquisitors for the better part of 30 years, that would make him having a son unlikely

- Having the Inquisitors be the main villains makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways. Its plausible that they would step into the power vaccum left by Palpatine, it gives them a Sith like villain without the Sith returning. It makes Rebels very important to the new contunity of the Star Wars universe, introducing and most likely explaining who they are and what their role in the universe is. It would give future EU material direction, ie - showing Inquisitors chasing Luke during the OT time, them taking over the Empire after RotJ etc... And a persistent villain.

- If Luke has been out of action for the better part of 30 years, and it does become Boyega and/or Daisy's characters story line to........restart the Jedi order, I like the Dune-ish quality that comes with that. In Dune it was on Paul to break the Imperial control on humanity, however he wasn't the one to save the human race by setting them on the Golden Path, that was saved for his son. It potentially gives each generation of character we see a purpose- Anakin was to destroy the Sith, Luke was to redeem his father so he could complete his destiny, and its up to Boyega/Daisy to bring back the old order.

- As for the flash back.....meh, I dunno why anyone would be upset about a flash back.

Dra--- and Bob Octa like this.
  21. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Why wouldn't the "lead Inquisitor" be the lead villain for the Entire trilogy?

22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Maybe there truly is a SW/Marvel crossover after all!

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

markdeez likes this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    @sluggo1313.
    the only thing the rumor says is that Luke is MIA after Jedi (it could even be a some time after, doesn't have to be exactly after Jedi) and that by Episode VII, he's captive, nowhere does it say at what point does Luke get captured.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    One of my favorite things about the PT was the feeling I got that I was discovering the galaxy anew despite seeing some obvious holdover designs from the original films. I would love for that trend to continue, especially since the gap in time between the OT and ST is larger than the PT and OT. Of course, I acknowledge that it very well could not, but nonetheless I retain the right to be disappointed in something that relies too heavy on retreading territory already covered in prior episodes.

ChildOfWinds and Darth PJ like this.