main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Here be Monsters: Mythological Creatures in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ghost and spicer like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there any kind of mythological creatures people would like to see. Personaly I would like to see more monsters from Asia, Araby and Africa.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    If you're talking about genuine monsters, as in horrific, vicious creatures that will devour you:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zillo_Beast
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eppon
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gorog_(creature)

To name a few.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Such as what?

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Djinn; Garuda; Gandaberunda; Sharabha; Impundulu; Emela-ntouka; Timingila; Rakshasa; Komainu; Chemosit; etc. etc
    Part of the reason I want to see them is that I want to see how they would be adapted.

When it comes to the chemosit Pachycrocuta have made my inner picture look like this
    [​IMG]

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am probably alone in this but is there any other that think that the tuk'ata, as drawn by Dario Carrasco, Jr., look a bit like the sha a.k.a. Set animal?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

MercenaryAce and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Considering the Classical Egyptian vibes given to the Sith in TotJ, it may very well be intentional.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside the Anzat have we seen any vampires?

9. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    There was that one energy vampire from the CWA comics, Rajine.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Should note that classic Greek mythological monster names are used in SW all the time. One of Daala's ISDs was the Manticore. Going by Rebellion, we see Imperial ships named after Greek monsters, Titans, gods, and even just mortals: names such as Rhea, Iapetus, Endymion, Pan, Hydra, etc etc. Some Rebel ships were named after the classical four winds: Boreas, Notus, Eurus, and Zephyrus. Greek naming conventions seem more common on Imperial ships, especially given their usage of Greek (excuse me, Tionese) letters for squadrons and model designations.

AusStig likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We need some ships with names like Long, Vakyria, Skoll, Jörmungandr, Nue, Tengu, Tengil, etc., etc.

12. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Apparently some of the alien species in the gffa have their own mythology.
    Taken from Wookieepedia
    Skeel (Mythological creature)
    "Skeel was a famous hero from Cerean mythology.
    His fame made his name common among male Cereans."
    Via The Galactic Campaign Guide

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen anything like werewolves?

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  15. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    As for Valkyries, they're a minor motif in the Black Fleet Trilogy with that one ambassador who was duped by the Yevetha. He sacced his ship Mother's Valkyrie for one of Spaar's plans, and was going to be compensated with a thrustship called Queen of the Valkyrie's, but Spaar reneged and left him stranded on Coruscant.

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'd really rather we didn't. We don't need to start dragging every single mythology in the history of Earth into what is - supposedly - an unrelated entirely fictional universe existing long before any of them were conceived. Let's at least try to find some originality left in us.

Obi-yoda likes this.
  17. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

It's so weird what words, animals, etc get let in and what doesn't. Even more amusing are things like; "There are no cows in Star Wars", which was a note on a manuscript a certain SW author received. Except that it was clear from context (something like "Dooku couldn't cow Anakin into submission", not actual sentence but you get the idea) that it wasn't referring to the bovine but to the verb of the word descended from the old Norse "kuga". It took faxing in a photocopy of the OED entry to get the copyeditor to understand it wasn't a reference to a cow, which sadly says a lot about the state of copyediting that they didn't know that usage or etymology of that word.

And yet mythological creatures, things like hot chocolate, dogs....all sorts of "earth things" get into canon all the time. I really wonder if it's just completely random or what, because there doesn't seem to be any hard guidelines.

I honestly don't care because...you know...it's fiction, but it is weird to have rules about earth animals and phrases and not remotely apply it evenly.

18. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Considering all we know now thanks to the PT and TCW I think the first mythological "creature" we see in SW (1977) is The Force. A sentient spiritual continuum with a "will" of its own. In many mythologies Fate and Destiny were personified as gods or spirits, something that can be seen in SW, according to GL, "larger hands at work".

19. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    And yet I distinctly recall the phrase being used in Courtship of Princess Leia. A Nightsister (may have been Gethzerion, but don't recall for sure) saying "my presence will cow the rabble" (with the way she was described, her face would cow people, but I digress). So there's already precedent on top of the etymology.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So what do you suggest they did?
    Personally I would like religions/mythology that use a grand mixture or earth beliefs. Let me see stories of tengu and valkyries being sent out by the queen of loa to battle the grand Sharabha and her djinn army riding on byakhee!

Any other?
    Also should not Wyrwulf be a part of the Codru-Ji page instead of having its own?

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    And that is how you end up with terrible D&D-esque cultural mashups, usually handled without an ounce of tact or actual understanding of the beliefs being referenced. Want to reference deities? Make up your own.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Pomojema was one of the first SW gods named - in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Before that, Vader yells "By the immortal gods of the Sith!" instead of "What!?" in the comic version of the first SW movie, when Han attacks his TIE fighters in the Death Star trench.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That seems like an inpractically long oath in that circumstance. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Fhtagn! Now that's how you do it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A bit later than SoTME - there was Devilworlds. In The Pandora Effect:

"Yes, my astute young friend, we are indeed a religious order. We worship the Left-Handed God. The Soulworm. The Lady with the Locust Heart. We worship evil, my handsome child."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.