main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Here Comes the Sun (K/Jish vignette set after DW)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by duskwings, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Title: Here Comes the Sun
    Author(s): duskwings
    Timeframe: NJO, after Destiny's Way
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo
    Genre: vignette
    Summary: In a quiet moment, Kyp and Jaina reflect on hope.

Note: This is not technically a songfic. I included the song as a mood piece, and the fic did sort of evolve from the song, but it's not really a songfic. OK, so it really sounds like a songfic . . . but it isn't! I swear! 8-}

Thanks to my beta, JediMasterJaina, who is probably wondering at this point why the heck I took so long to post it. ;) Well, I figured that I should spread out my viggies, so that I don't run out of them too fast. Of course, that reason runs completely counter to the ten-odd unposted fics sitting in my fanfiction folder, but hey, I like taking it slowly. ;)

Remember, feedback is nice. :D 8-}

[b]HERE COMES THE SUN[/b]

[i]Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
    Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right
    It's all right[/i]
    -"Here Comes the Sun," by the Beatles

Kyp sat on the beach, watching the waves lap up on the white sand. Mon Cal was as beautiful as it had always been, with its wide, beautiful beaches, fascinating underwater life, and deep blue skies. As he looked out at the sea, he realized how much like a resort this seemed, how idyllically beautiful.

But if he raised his head, he could see the glittering spacedocks in the sky above, the spacedocks where so many ships were created. And if he looked left, he could see in the distance the heavily fortified senate chambers, reminder of the danger they were in as well as the disgusting twists of politics. And beside that, half hidden behind the huge building, the laboratories where scientists conducted their experiments with Vong technology, sampling DNA and analyzing, looking for useless clues to biology and physiology.

He preferred to look to the right, where Jaina sat, sifting sand through her fingers as she stared out to sea. Her hair was tousled by the wind, her face dark with internal scars, but she was a much more pleasant sight regardless.

He followed the line of her gaze, looking out to sea. In the distance, Jacen and Danni surfaced, chatting amiably. He couldn't hear them--their voices were only whispers at this distance--but he could see their faces.

They looked happy. Strange that during this war, only the two who had survived Vong captivity were happy.

"It's strange," Jaina murmured.

He turned to look at her. She was smoothing down the sand in front her, running her hands across it, wiping away the marks that her feet and hands had made.

He waited for her to continue, but she was silent.

"What's strange?" he asked.

She looked out at Jacen and Danni. "Having him back. I never expected him to be back. He was dead, after all." She patted the sand softly. Hazy clouds of dust drifted through the air. Jacen and Danni dived under the water.

"But isn't that a good thing?" Kyp prompted.

She turned her head towards him and smiled crookedly. "That's what's so strange." The wind tugged at her hair, and she raised a sandy hand to drag it back behind her ear. "It's been so long since anything went right . . ." she trailed off wistfully, her voice young again, stripped of the harrowing experiences sh

2. JediMasterJaina

JediMasterJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2003
    :[face_sigh]: :D Just as good as the first time I read it! You're very welcome, my betawan!! I look forward to more!

~JMJ

3. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    *sigh*

Absolutely adorable. I'm sure everything'll be alright, too. :D [face_devil] Loved that!

4. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    awww..that was sweet [face_love] I'm sure everything's gonna be alright too 8-}

EJ

5. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    cuteness, sweetie...lovely!

-JSD

6. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Such a sweet and wonderful viggie duskwings.

~~Jilly

7. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Oh, I like this! :D It just makes me want to hug someone!

Great job!

8. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    That was a very sweet vig, duskwings. It was just so hopeful and optimistic. Good job. :)

9. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I love this viggie. Mush but not mush. Cute. :p

10. duskwings

Jan 10, 2003
    JediMasterJaina - Glad you liked it! :D I should have something more for you soon . . . I think I might give you the Jag one, though I'm tempted to go Zekk or my newest weird angst fic (see "A Jedi Must Not Love" and "For a While" for the type of angst I'm talking about . . .)

Jedi_Jaina_Durron - Thanks! :) Now, why is that a devil face . . . you planning something between Jaina and Kyp? 8-}

Eowyn_Jade - Thank you. [face_blush]

Jaina_Solo_Durron - Thanks! :)

JillyDurron - Glad you liked it. :D

val solo - Yes, it does make me rather happy when I read it . . it's just so cute and bubbly, and yet not mushy at all. I'm quite proud of it, actually. :D

LianaMara - Thanks! :)

the_jedi_princess - Yes, I do try to avoid complete and total mush, although it doesn't seem like it. 8-} In some ways, I just think that mush is kind of superficial, and I've been tending towards fics that, in my view, at least, are deeper and have more overall meaning.

Thanks all for reading! And if there are any lurkers there, feel free to come out. I don't bite. Much. ;)

-duskwings

11. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Sweetness. This was really good writing. I loved the interaction between Kyp and Jaina. And how you portaited them without the usual "love reationship" just friendship!

Well done!

12. duskwings

Jan 10, 2003
    Elfsheen - Thanks. [face_blush] It wasn't entirely platonic (considering the hints of attraction in there), but I'm glad you like it. I've been tending more and more towards non-mushy friendship with a hint of attraction in a lot of my K/J fics. I think it's because I like to write sort of canonish stuff, and in canon, Kyp and Jaina aren't together. Also, in some ways I think I'm rebelling against the trend towards mush in both K/J and J/J fics. ;)

-duskwings

13. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    "Here come the sun, da da da da da . . ."

This was good! Me like!

C'mon, guys, e-mail this stuff to me at webmaster@kajsu.zzn.com so I can put it on the website!!

Dana

14. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Duskwings, I?ve never read anything of yours before, but I?ll be sure to keep an eye on you now :). I notice that there aren?t as many K/J fics as there once was. However, it?s wonderful to see that a few people are still keeping the spirit alive! I love the title of this vignette, and the style of your writing. Very easy to read and visualise.

A lovely piece of work that didn?t resort to making out on the beach ;).

Am [face_love]

15. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I usually dislike (read: loathe) shippy fics, but I started reading this on a whim, and that point in the story where I hit the 'back' button with a shudder never came. Impressively done, duskwings. I love that Jaina and Kyp are having an actual conversation, something about what's happening in their lives, instead of whining about their angsty tortured apocalyptic repressed love for each other. It's refreshing. It's also really nice to see them being friends, rolling around in the sand and teasing each other, without it ending up as beach sex. Way to avoid the cliches. ;)

I'm really impressed with the tension you managed to convey between them, ever so subtley. Does Jaina love Kyp? Her words would suggest that she's happy with Jag, but her actions might lead the reader to a different conclusion. And that's perfect. :) I love that there's ambiguity in your characterizations; not something you see too often in fanfic.

So again, great job on writing a really unique vignette. :)

16. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    awesome post duskwings :D personally, i think this is one of your best viggies so far...can't say much else, since everyone (especially LM :p) stole my words :p ;)

~TJF

17. duskwings

Jan 10, 2003
    DantanaSkywalker - Thanks! :) I'll get around to emailing you some of this stuff someday--I keep telling myself to do it, but I never get around to it. [face_blush] That's me, professional procrastinor . . . ;)

Amidala_Skywalker - [face_shocked] Amidala_Skywalker herself, Manager of the Fanfiction boards, Empress, read one of my stories! [face_shocked] I'm . . . I'm flabbergasted. Thank you for reading. :)

I notice that there aren't as many K/J fics as there once was. However, it's wonderful to see that a few people are still keeping the spirit alive!
    I try. Most days. ;)

I love the title of this vignette, and the style of your writing. Very easy to read and visualise.
    [face_blush] Thank you. The title was easy--I just borrowed it from the Beatles. ;) But I'm glad you liked the style--sometimes I worry about whether I'm describing too little. :)

A lovely piece of work that didn't resort to making out on the beach.
    Thanks! :) As much as my other fics would indicate otherwise, I'm not entirely fond of pure mush. It's fine for fluff, but recently I've been finding that I want to write stuff that's deeper, more relevant. In some ways, I think I've been trying to write stuff that tends more towards the literature end of the spectrum. Of course, I'm still writing some stuff that is pure mush, but I'm writing much less of it. I think that's good, though I can't really tell . . .

LadyMairead - their angsty tortured apocalyptic repressed love for each other.
    [face_laugh] I love it! That's hilarious. Every time I read it, I just burst out laughing for some reason. [face_laugh] Of course, from the author of "Deconstructing Jaina," I suppose I shouldn't expect anything else. ;)

It's also really nice to see them being friends, rolling around in the sand and teasing each other, without it ending up as beach sex.
    That's sort of how I see the relationship between Jaina and Kyp--friends, yes, and with a hint of attraction, but sometimes never even reaching the kissing stage, much les sex. I haven't really shown it in the fics I've written, but I actually prefer UST and angst to all-out mush.

I love that there's ambiguity in your characterizations; not something you see too often in fanfic.
    I usually aim for realism, and life is rarely so clear. The line between close friendship and love of the non-platonic sort is very hard to see. In some ways, I'm in that situation myself. [face_plain]

So again, great job on writing a really unique vignette.
    Thanks! :)

TJF - [face_blush] Thanks.

-duskwings

18. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    So here's the thing. I read this last night but was unable to reply to it due to my parents' forcing me off the computer. Which was, of course, a logical move since it was almost midnight then :p

But I digress. This was simply wonderful. Like LM said, I'm so totally blown away as to how you avoided all the K/J cliches that seem to be oppressing the boards. But alas, fics like these come so far and few between...

So I am officially announcing this as one of my Most Favorite K/J Short Stories of 2003. Okay, so it isn't that big of a deal, but hey, it's something. :p

--Den

19. duskwings

Jan 10, 2003
    Deneveon - So here's the thing. I read this last night but was unable to reply to it due to my parents' forcing me off the computer. Which was, of course, a logical move since it was almost midnight then
    I completely understand. In fact, I got kicked off at midnight last night, too. Funny coincidence. ;)

Like LM said, I'm so totally blown away as to how you avoided all the K/J cliches that seem to be oppressing the boards.
    The weird thing is, I didn't just write it to break the clichés. I wasn't even thinking of the clichés when I wrote this. It just sort of came--I was listening to "Here Comes the Sun," and I realized how nice it would be to make a songfic for, the plot bunny rested in my head for a few days, gathering momentum and solidity, and I wrote it. No thought of clichés at all . . .

But alas, fics like these come so far and few between...
    Yes, I definitely agree. There are few enough K/J fics as there is, and a lot of them seem to follow one or more templates . . . J/J fics, too. Of course, there's always humor and satire . . . ;)

So I am officially announcing this as one of my Most Favorite K/J Short Stories of 2003. Okay, so it isn't that big of a deal, but hey, it's something.
    Hey, it's definitely something. It's a lot more than just something. I'm honored. Thank you. :)

-duskwings

20. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    The weird thing is, I didn't just write it to break the clichés. I wasn't even thinking of the clichés when I wrote this. It just sort of came--I was listening to "Here Comes the Sun," and I realized how nice it would be to make a songfic for, the plot bunny rested in my head for a few days, gathering momentum and solidity, and I wrote it. No thought of clichés at all . . .

Well, see, that's the thing. That is truly a mark of brilliance. :cool:

Upping this, although it already is at the top of the boards, but it's a good way to increase my post count, lol...

--Den

21. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    Of course, from the author of "Deconstructing Jaina," I suppose I shouldn't expect anything else.

Heh. Yeah, my great unfinished epic. You know, I used to really like mushy fics. Somehow, I went from enjoying them to, on some days, wanting to blow up all shippy fics and wipe them from the face of the fandom. I think DJ evolved out of that.

I usually aim for realism, and life is so very rarely clear.

That's so true, and something that is usually completely absent from fanfic. It always so neat and perfect, with just the right amount of tortured angsty guilt to make the characters sympathetic. It gets sort of tiring after a while. I also like a healthy does of UST. There's a reason I watched the X-Files for all those years. ;)

And I think we've all been in that situation. *grins*

22. duskwings

Jan 10, 2003
    Deneveon - That is truly a mark of brilliance.
    [face_blush] Why, thank you! :D

LadyMairead - And I think we've all been in that situation. *grins*
    Um . . . probably not in my particular situation (the circumstances are very strange), but a simpler variation is probably common. Although considering my social life, it's quite a surprise for me. [face_plain] ;)

-duskwings

23. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    *blushes* (Where is the darn face code when I need it? :p) You flatter me, duskwings. It?s a very easy way to get in my good books, though ;).

Describing too little? No, I think it was appropriate for a vignette. I?m exactly the opposite. Sometimes I wonder if I?m describing too much, and meanwhile boring the reader. Well, that?s when I actually put virtual pen to virtual paper and actually write.

?Deep and more relevant? ? sounds like a good motto to me. I know that when I write, I want to write something that is meaningful. I have plenty of ideas, but after a few hours, I convince myself that it?s not deep enough ? that the emotion is skin deep.

Keep writing! :)

Am [face_love]

24. duskwings

Jan 10, 2003
    Amidala_Skywalker - You flatter me, duskwings. It?s a very easy way to get in my good books, though.
    Well, it's true--you are the Empress, and you are the Moderator and Manager of the Fanfiction boards . . . and you stopped and read my fic! :D And I hope I don't have any bad books to get out of . . . but if I do, all the better. ;)

"Deep and more relevant" ? sounds like a good motto to me. I know that when I write, I want to write something that is meaningful. I have plenty of ideas, but after a few hours, I convince myself that it's not deep enough ? that the emotion is skin deep.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been trying to write an L/M vignette recently, and I've just found myself absolutely incapable of writing. I want to write mush, but I simply cannot--I need it to be deeper, something that isn't just plotless mush. It's driving me crazy.

-duskwings

25. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    It?s a very easy way to get in my good books, though.

Ha! I knew you had a list of all of us, Am. Keeping a mental tally as we speak, I suspect...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.