Oregon Here goes nothing, *hesitantly types* religion.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Larena_Jade, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    What does everyone believe? If there is nothing than I'm shure your going to hafta start thinking about it someday.
    I AM: a christian, no "dinomination".(dinomination= cathlic, mormon, lutheran, exc.)
    I just believe the Bible, no offence but how can you believe something that was taken FROM the Bible and twisted around and stuff added to it? That is why... I'm a Jesus Freak!!! :D

*crosses fingers, hoping not to get negitive responces* (just trying to start another topic!)
  2. Bounty_Scum Force Ghost

star 1
    I am a christian, but I was raised in Buddhist ways so I still follow some of its philosophies, and I do not worship buddhism. I walk with God.
  3. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I was raised Lutheran, then changed to baptist when I was like... 10. Then a few months ago (in August to be exact) I converted to Wicca :)

-Cheers and blessed be!
  4. FenixRu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Raised Christian AND Catholic (there is a difference, trust me). So one would say I am bit messed up. During College (and a bit of HS) I started studying Buddhism. I have not been to church in nearly a decade, and have found that living a spiritually happy life has blessed me in many ways. I may not be a "bible thumping" christian, but I live a good life, and try to be as good a person as one can be.
  5. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
  6. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    What is Wicca?

... :eek:

lol, just kidding. Wicca is a religion that falls into the Pagan basket. It's Witchcraft, but not the witchcraft that most people think it is, where it's all Satan worshipping and everything. Far from it. Kind of hard to describe, really.
  7. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Try me. :D

Oh, and FenixRu:
    I was going to argue the fact that it isn't just about being a "good" person.
    BUT,I'M NOT GOING TO!
    Because of what I got out of youth group tonight! Being a christian doesn't mean you need to have RESPONCIBILITIES like reading the Bible (although it will help your spiritual life grow)It is about RESPONCE. You read the Bible and/or go to church BECAUSE of how much Jesus has changed your life through JUSTIFICATION, in other words SAVED OUR PUTTUSHI!
    It isn't RESPONCABILITY, it's RESPONCE!
  8. FenixRu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Larena I was rasied in the church and even went to a church run school for a good period of time. In all my studies, and listening to sermons, I never once read or heard anything that attending church is what helps you grow spiritually. You just need to share yourself with the world, and reveal to those that truly want to know what it is that set you down the proper path.
  9. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    That's also true! Sometimes you can catch a really good speaker though and it's so awsome when ya do!

I have a corny joke!!! :D :D :D
    Ok here goes:

7 days without Bible Study makes one week(weak). Hahaha!!!
  10. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    That is rather corny [face_laugh]

I never could get into the youth groups around here. Didn't feel right. Guess that's another reason why I now follow God in all of her glory ;)
  11. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe, elaborate more! (nothin serious, I'm just curious!) *realizes that she's a poet and didn't even know it*
  12. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    What do you want me to elaborate more on? If I elaborated on everything related, I could probably write quite a bit more than anyone in their right mind would want to read, lol.
  13. FenixRu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Now, this MAY upset some people, BUT I do feel its relevent.

Organizied religion is Man's way of exereting control of the general population through God. The Bible never asked for the Vatican, Saintships, popes, cardinals, and so on.

As religions go Christianity is by far one of the most flexible. admit god exists, and support your fellow man, and you shall be rewarded in heaven.

14. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, Paul, that is correct... but only partially. If one Christian sees another not going to church, reading the bible, et cetera, when they do or one of their friends do, they then tend to confront the one not getting involved, even if in a non-confrontational manner. So that's always there, like the Puritans. Those who don't exert all their all, they become outcast.

Personally, I either think that Jediism (yes, it is a religion folks!) or Pagan religions are the most flexible. Since really, it is just accepting the deity and being the best person you can in Paganistic religions, while in Jediism it's just a philosophy. Just abide by their codes and you will... umm, I don't remember what happens, lol.

Anyone who wants any more info on Jediism (it is actually quite humourous), feel free to ask, I've got a website bookmarked all about it :)
  15. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    I've heard of Jediism! I went to the website and it's really weird, it's kind of cultish.

Oh, I found this place called sithorder.dk and they don't actually state that they're some kind of religion or cult but that site is FREAKY! If you choose the "music on" option before you enter the site, whoooooh did it start getting me all weirded out!
  16. FenixRu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Veng....

There are some people of Christian/Catholic/Mormon/Jehovah's Witness, that will confront other for not actively "Walking with God"

First off these people tend to be very active in their chruch community, and hve been so groomed to spread the word, that situations like "confronting" a person for not being like them can and do happen, but in all reality they are the minority. Whats funny is that those people are not respecting others' right to exert their own free will in life, something God/Allah/etc, has granted man as a supreme gift, and ultimately the one this that really seperates us from being retarded feces slingers.

Its that amount that the church used on a person, typically starting at a young age, and being strongly backed in the home life that fosters such behavior. I cannot stand, really its just breaking the "golden rule", unless of course these people really want to be confronted as to why they have not spilled blood in the name of oddly named cult figure. I can see it now....Christian A walks up to cultist A, the christian confronts the cultist, and the cultist drops a nice reversal on them. Odds are they'll both be pissed at the other for being so bold as to try and impose unfaithful beliefs on the other. Thats why I keep my nose clean. tend to my self, and offer help only when asked, for, because then and only then does that person truly have the mind set to listen and learn.
  17. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with that, not "pushing" religion on people.
    What I do is try to make it REALLY obvious I am a Jesus Freak and then they just might watch my life style, really, that is the best way to be a light.
  18. tk-834 Jedi Padawan

Religion is man made beliefs. Christianity is not a religion but a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that is based on faith. It takes more than just being a good person to be a Christian. Its to live as Christ wants you to live. Nobodys perfect, so yes, Christians do wrong things and stumble, but that is where the grace of God comes in and He forgives us. Thats not to say its a free for all to do anything once you become a Christian. Gods love is eternal and He loves everyone who has, is and will walk the face of this earth.
  19. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    YES! I was waiting for someone to say that! I would have said that myself but wasn't thinking about it!

Here's how I see it:
    Going to church and living for Jesus shouldn't be a christian RESPONCABILITY it should be a RESPONSE!!! Response to what you say? Response to what Jesus did for us!
    JUSTIFICATION= Just as if you never sinned
  20. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I always find it ironic for someone to call a small religion "a cult," considering Christianity used to be a small cult, too, and all religions seem like cults to me, especially some types of Christianity which are, frankly, weird.

I appreciate the wide variety of interesting and fantastic beliefs that exist in this world and I enjoy studying them, learning more about them, the cultures where they exist, what the people practice, how the religions developed, and all of that type of information. I find it interesting and worth my time pursuing that type of knowledge.

Nonetheless, I'm an agnostic, or a weak atheist, whichever term you would prefer. I do not deny the possibility that God exists, as a philosophy major I feel that I couldn't do that, but I don't think there is a very high probability of the type of God existing that Christians believe, that's for sure.

In my personal opinion, and that's all it is, I feel that Eastern religions, the ones that Star Wars borrows the most from, are superior to Western religions because of their greater emphasis on the world that is and on spiritual values above religious ones.

Confucianism is a fantastic religion, Taoism is pretty awesome, I know less about Buddhism but I still like it.

I find it a bit funny for anyone to call Greek Mythology, well, "Mythology." It's no more and no less real, or factual, than anything in the Bible. It's all just a bunch of nice stories that are great fun to read, even imaginative and brilliant, but not true.

I somewhat agree with Karl Marx that "religion is the opiate of the people." Organized religion, like organized government, simply exists to exert control over people using fear. It's only slightly different from the government, really, in fact very similar. The government relies on the fear of its people of foreign threats, domestic threats, and other disturbances. With those threats that are real, and do exist, the government exists to keep order and take advantage of that fear. I am not an anarchist, of course, hehe, you need a strong central government.

What you don't need is organized religion, though. It is, simply put, a joke. Especially Christianity. I am sorry if that offends anyone but I don't really mind; expressing one's opinion is a freedom we have in this country that makes it so great. Christianity is a fine religion. There is nothing "wrong" with it and most of the people I've went to school with and known have been Christians. What is wrong with it is the Church, which is making a mockery of the religion by its sexual abuse, scandals, and general idiocy.

Now how religion is similar to government... People fear death, it's a natural human condition, so to speak. If you have a religion that tells you that if you're good, and if you are moral, and if you do this or that, you will live forever in heaven, then obviously this makes death a much less scary prospect. Why would you fear an eternity in God's kingdom, in heaven? Government exists to establish and keep order on Earth, materially. Religion exists to establish and keep order beyond it, or if you will, spiritually. Government reduces the fear of theft, of invasion, of violations of personal freedoms (even though the government constantly violates our personal freedoms -- that's another issue), while religion reduces the fear of death by providing an answer.

It's human nature to want to find a solution to an unanswerable question. People are the most evolved species ever to be on this planet. We want answers to all of our questions. It's the curiosity that has made our species great and given us all of the incredible inventions that we enjoy each day. That same drive makes the question, "Where did we come from?" and "What happens after this life?" even more confusing and even more in need of answers. To combat that, literally thousands of religions have arisen to provide relief and answers to the questions that, frankly, science will not ever answer.

So it is up to the individual whether they choose to believe one of the many religions or to re
  21. tk-834 Jedi Padawan

Bowen wrote: Now I'd very much like to believe that when I die, I could go to heaven and live forever, and I wish I could believe all of that. But there is a huge difference between wanting to believe something and actually believing it. Just because I want to belive so badly that it's true doesn't mean I CAN believe it. Just like I really wish I could fly, but I cannot, no matter how much I wish for it.

Jesus spoke that for us to enter the kingdom of Heaven, we are to have faith like a child. Adults grow up to be hardened. They have to see something to believe it. We don't see the wind yet we see the effects of the wind. We see life and beauty all over this planet that God created yet people don't believe when His effects are evident. Jesus also spoke that greater are your rewards in Heaven to those who believe without seeing. Its been over 2000 years since Jesus Christ walked this earth. And no, its not just some nice little stories thrown together in a book. The truth is out there, seek and ye shall find.
  22. FenixRu Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just need to add something here, no matter whats said remember this, when talking about religion you start encroaching on a persons deepest beliefs in many cases. It goes without saying that some views will, in the long run, change the way people here will interact with one other.

So I think its safe to say that whats said in this thread stays in this thread. Tough to do I know, but In my experience on other boards ( some I moderated, some I participated heavily in), feelings had a way of spilling over into the rest of the board.
  23. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I have moderated and administrated a number of forums, large and small, and as administrator of one many years ago, we simply banned religion as a topic of discussion unless it specifically related to Star Wars.

Nonetheless, you don't have to go to those drastic means.

As for the wind comment, well I'm not going to change your mind obviously, nor you me, haha, but wind is easy to measure. That's a bad analogy. It may have worked hundreds of years ago, but we know what causes wind, we can measure its direction and its speed precisely, and being able to see it is not important whatsoever. Science isn't about being able to SEE something, it's about being able to measure it in any tangible way, which could include smell, sound, touch (feel), taste, or sight. Even though there are some things we cannot see with our eyes and cannot touch and cannot smell or otherwise perceive, telescopes, for instance, have given us the proof we need of their existence.

God is not like the wind. There is proof that the wind exists and where it comes from and why and all that jazz. Not so with God.

To believe like a child, and not question like an adult, is to remain forever ignorant.
  24. FenixRu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Bowen I wouldn't call what I suggested a drastic measure. I would like to think of it as preventative. The last thing any of want to see is bad feelings that could very well be generated with this topic of discussion, get carried over to the Cafe, or even a meeting, that would be unfortunate.

25. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you had some confusion about what I wrote, so let me clarify.

"Nonetheless, you don't have to go to those drastic means."

Read what I wrote above it. I wasn't talking about you or what you said. I was talking about at a forum I administrated when we banned religion as a subject -- that was a drastic measure, entirely limiting freedom of speed on one subject because of previous problems we had with it. I wasn't referring to what you said, which was great advice. :) You are right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.