main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Here!, Here!, To Grievous!!!!!!.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Qui-Gon Gin, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    General Grievous to me, is an underrated gem of the Star Wars saga. Sure he didn't have the most screen time (wish the scene of him killing Shaak was left in), or even developed all that well, but I feel, he shined in every scene he was in, and was the most interesting to listen to. Your thoughts?.

2. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I agree, I would love to have seen in Rots, exactly how Grievous acquired all of those lightsabers from the hands of the Jedi. Any non force user who can defeat and kill that many Jedi has my respect.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    He's fascinating.. An alien cyborg with a pseudo-Transylvanian accent and a mysterious past. He captured my imagination right away. Even just visually, he's one of my all time fav sci-fi characters

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm a fan.

It's impressive, to me, that a being so wrecked, so fabulously contorted, and with the stress of leadership, can still find time to a) well, to actually be a leader of anything in that state, and b) have the deliriously wicked sense of humour, or perverse amusement, that GG displays when faced with irritation and danger.

Crush them! Make them suffer!

One for the GG-ster.

[face_coffee]

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    One of my favorite villains in all of SW.

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    He's an incredible CGI creation, with a bone-like surface texture, and hints of moving parts and organs beneath the surface.

Gorgeous to watch and look at.

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Can you say "underappreciated"

Always good to see another Grievous fan! Of all the fascinating villains of SW and characters/creatures of different design, Grievous's appearance is probably my favourite of the bunch
    Sure, Maul is badass, Dooku is elegant, the Fetts have their armour, etc. but something about Grievous is intimidating - the height, the clawed appendages, the dense metallic presence

And it is very interesting to have a cyborg character who's almost 100% machine. Sure, Vader is limbless and buried under a suit - but Grievous lost his entire body! Imagine the phantom pain you'd get from that. I know there is (or was) a canon explanation for it, but it's nightmare fuel thinking of how he may have received such - forgive the pun - grievous injuries

And of course, I'd say Grievous is probably the best all CG character I've seen to this day. Just the right sense of weight and texture, the great use of dynamic lighting and shadow, the smooth movements, etc.

Well I could prattle on, but I use "etc." far too much for anyone's own good. But yeah Grievous is awesome

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

9. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    general Grievous is great, he is one of the best CG character ever made, with a very threatening and memorable design, walks around with the best bodyguards in star wars (the emperors red royal guards has nothing on Magna guards) controls the invisible hand which is beautiful.

Grievous is one of my favorite characters in star wars, because he is entertaining, threatening, and all around a great villain, him revealing his four arms is such a great scene, in fact every scene featuring Grievous is great. All hail the great general of the CIS.

Also his battledroid commander on the bridge of the invisible hand is great.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    "You're welcome"

Gotta love the sarcasm from the tinny, squeaking voice of a droid with higher importance than the others who's about to run for dear functionality in mere seconds

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

darskpine10 and CIS Droid like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

ILM to me was best in the PT era. They still had models being made and the creative freedom they had was exactly what the PT needed.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  12. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    "Army or not, you must realize you are doomed"

Delicious villainy at it's finest. GRIEVOUS IS DA BEST!!

13. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I liked him more as a character in The Clone Wars; he serves his purpose in ROTS, but he just doesn't do anything particularly noteworthy there.

Lt. Hija, ObiWanKnowsMe and CIS Droid like this.
  14. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Grievous is great in both TCW and RotS :)

15. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I like Grievous, he was kind of a pre-Vader. More machine than man, twisted and evil.

16. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Grievous theme is also great, and i love his scene with Darth Sidious on Utapau.

17. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Another reason why I love the PT so many awesome characters especially Grievous. Such a great villain I was actually sad when Obi-Wan killed him lol.

CIS Droid likes this.
  18. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Grevious: "Anakin Skywalker I figured someone with your reputation would be TALLER!"
    Anakin: "General Grevious, Your shorter than I expected"
    Obi-Wan: "Anakin try not to upset him"
    Grevious: "JEDI SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!"

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    some people didnt like his hacking cough and how he seemed like a coward but i never had a problem with how he was portrayed in Revenge of the Sith. And I agree, had that Shaak Ti death scene been polished and maybe some changes in dialogue it wouldve been a great part of the opening act

Davak24 likes this.
  20. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    His coughing was meant to showcase that becoming a cyborg in the GFFA wasn't ideal, that it is a downgrade in health, it makes you weaker, that is what Lucas said before changing his mind in TCW. Lucas used recordings of his own coughing for GG's coughing in ROTS, as he was sick during part of the production.

GG is a awesome villan, and at least he was smart enough to know when he was out matched and to run to fight another day.

Davak24 and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  21. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    I absolutely loved his character from the first time I saw him. Such a great proto Vader in a way. His is another tragic story of a being caught up between two warring factions and who wants to do the right thing but is manipulated by higher powers to lose his 'humanity' and become their enforcer.

Davak24 likes this.
  22. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Not being much of a book reader, I found myself totally enamored with Grievous' backstory in Labyrinth of Evil; likewise, it made me see the Jedi in a (potentially) very different light forevermore.

After finishing the book, man was I hyped for Grievous!; total badass that you were going to have a soft spot for in ROTS, surely with some exposition regarding his tragic tale of love, loss, and betrayal.

But we got none of that, and more or less got a cowardly buffoon that somehow managed to logistically bone - badly - a 4-1 lightsaber advantage vs. Obi-Wan (how is that even possible?); which could have been fine, except that we never get to see him do anything impressive of note. Very disappointing. With Phasma getting the "Grievous treatment" (who more or less got the "Boba Fett treatment"), one starts to wonder if this sort of thing is semi-intentional in an ironic sort of way. Whatever it is, I have to admit that I hate it. :-\

23. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015

Why, oh please tell me why in every Grievous thread someone like you that was disappointed with Grievous show up? Even when its for appreciating a character that a lot of people usually give, in our opinion unwarranted criticism.

But who cares, I'm gonna give you my opinion as to why Grievous isn't incompetent.

Reasons as to why Grievous couldn't defeat Obi Wan.

1. While Grievous have 4 lightsabers he doesnt posses the force, giving Obi Wan a huge advantage.

2. Obi Wan is simply a superior duelist than Grievous

Response to some of your other points

1. Grievous wasn't the focus of the movie, so why waste time going into all of his lives motivation? Did Tarkin need a soft spot from the audience to be a good villain? Did we get any exposition regarding Tarkin? Nope, because its not necessary.

2.Cowardly boffon? What? Did you want him to keep on fighting even when the odds were against him?

3.Nothing impressive of note. Kidnapping the chancellor and almost killing Obi Wan is impressive enough in my book. And at least Grievous did stuff on screen like duel Obi Wan, unlike Phasma who was just there until she betrayed the FO by lowering the shields of the starkiller base.

Slicer87 likes this.
  24. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    For what it's worth, I loved Grievous; I still do. That's more or less the point of my "criticism" - that I disliked the handling of his character. If your take is that a character is totally defined by what we see onscreen and thus, their handling (through editing and whatnot) and lack of visually projected depth is beyond reproach, well...we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Sorry for any confusion; didn't mean to upset you. :)

CIS Droid likes this.
  25. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015

Its okay, its just that i like Grievous and it seems like everytime he gets brought up in a thread tons of (IMO) unfair criticism gets thrown around, and because this was an appreciation thread i got slightly annoyed which may have influenced my comment:).