main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Here is your Max -VS-PC answer

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by datoolman, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999
    Hey Daft that is the same thing over here (pacific NW USA) All the stuff we ever get from Agencies was done on Mac's :)

I head the IT Department (also do some 3D and video editing) and we use all types of computers. Whatever it takes to get the job done right. But I will say that none of these systems (including the SGI) have not had their share of problems from time to time. No computer is immune to that :)

Mac's with Protools for all the Audio post

SGI's with Discreet smoke* for online video post.

Mac's with Avid Media Composer for offline video post

And Pc's for 3D and graphics work and all the systems the employees use for general work.

But all the Ad Agencies we work with use macs.

2. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Monkey abbot, I've got Linux Red Hat 7.3. Which software in there lets you run all Windows programs? Are you using Gnome or KDE?

Also, I'm pretty sure Australia is more PC based. I noticed a couple of graphic design positions vacant, and both were pc. Maybe it's because we're in the Asia Pacific region. The majority of Asian countries apart from maybe Japan, are predominately pc.

3. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    Rikalonius

You think Microsoft uses their own software to protect their network. That is a big negative. Speaks well for them doesn't it?

MS is not in the business of network protection. Corporations use firewalls to do that. It is up to the company to protect thier network. MS just makes the OS.

...when I break down most of the arguments people have with MAC, it always comes down to games. In 1990 when I had my Amiga 500 w/ a 68030 accelerator, it ran 24bit color, a windows GUI, could run video at 30fps, had an RCA full color video and stereo out. My DOS friends ran games in 4 color CGI and all sound came out of their PC speaker. Yet all I kept hearing out of these elitists, who had all taken a computer course or two, was that Amiga was a "Games" machine.

Funny that you would complain that someone would call the Amiga a 'Game Machine'. That's exactly what it was according to Jay Miner the creator of the Amiga. Only after the game market took a dive did his company start revamping the hardware to enter the mainstream computer market.

Now 12 years later, all the ex-DOS'ers, who owe their technology to everyone else, are claiming their machines are better, because they play GAMES. WOW!

I don't think any intelligent person trying to argue the benefits of the PC would use gaming as thier sole reason for owning one. It is true that the PC outperforms the Mac in this arena and as my first post shows it also outperforms the Mac in the graphics department.

I'm sure when you compare MAC to the Compaq Persario you bought from CompUSA, you'll feel the MAC is overpriced. But, as I said in another post, mosey on over to Alienware and have them build you a compatible DV machine, and then lets talk price.

As with the Mac, Alienware thrives on it's name. There is nothing special in the AW box you can't buy off the shelf or online at two thirds or even half the cost. Try to build your own Mac. If you take a look at my first post you will see again how Steve pushed himself out of the market by not sharing. If you need a little help with the whole concept drop me a PM and I will go into more detail.

OSX may be beta, but Windows has yet to move on from beta, and Microsoft is fix'n to release another version of XP

Win2000 as well as XP is far beyond BETA. They are both rock solid operating systems. With such massive code and half the hacker community trying to break it, there will always be patches to this OS. You don't see Mac having this trouble because they are not the backbone OS of almost all corporations.

Let's get something straight... I have no problem with the Mac. I plan on buying one this year. I will not however stop using my room full of PCs. Much like AOL internet... if I want a simplistic limited point and click solution I will use my Mac. When I want to realy do some down and dirty coding, hacking, gaming or want COMPLETE controll of my system I will jump over to my PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.