main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Here They Come"- TIE Fighter Variant Databank Update!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think so.

Overall, interesting stuff, but nothing terribly new and everything can be found in the Essential Guides.

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i think the images were the best part.

for those still confused about the TIE Advanced x1
    and TIE Avenger.

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/premiere/dark/images/tieadvancedx1.gif]
    TIE Advanced x1

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/dagobah/dark/images/tieavenger.gif]
    TIE Avenger <-- looks like TOS used the decipher image on this one. what TOS fails to mention is that the Avenger has some hyperdrive, at least to the CCG.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Tie Avenger always had a hyperdrive, since its first appearance in Tie Fighter. Still, again it should be noted that Tie Avenger is just the informal nickname, a fact brought up on starwars.com as well.

"The finished TIE advanced, dubbed the "avenger" by zealous Imperial Navy officers"

You'll note the formal name is listed on the CCG card as its abbreviation, "Tie/Ad", which is the same designation given to the the Tie Advanced("Avenger") when it first showed up in the game Tie Fighter.

The two picturs in the databank originate from the game Tie Fighter, and the other from the CCG posted above.

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    but TOS forgot to mention that fact (has hyperdrive)

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    It's not the first time the OS has made mistakes in their entries. We could also say that the Avenger the OS presents is a later model Avenger that, for some reason, never had the hyperdrive installed. The only reason why later model Avengers wouldn't have a hyperdrive that I can come up with is that their trying to make it more affordable and thus more likely to be purchased by an Imperial military that treats TIEs as cheap, expendable fighters. Having shields and warhead launchers make them more expensive, but SFS could claim that unlike cheaper TIE models such systems naturally mean their going to last longer in battle and thus take down more enemies. But their still terribly expensive and so ultimately shunned in favor of cheaper TIE Interceptors.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I don't think ommisions/typos are a good reason to create explanations for said ommisions/typos... Sometimes taking minor things too seriously to the point that you have to fix them, can get to be a bit rediculous.

Especially considering that an omission doesn't mean that it isn't there, it just wasn't mentioned.

The Tie Defenders can have optional tractor/jamming beam packages as well, but most sources fail to mention them. But that doesn't mean that they can't have them.

It's kind of like Keyan Farlander in Destiny's Way, his connection to the Jedi was never mentioned, but that didn't mean that he didn't have the connection, and we know he did from other sources, and even TUF brought up that fact. So even if it wasn't mentioned he still has the connection. Nothing in the book specifically contradicted that fact.

I wouldn't call an omission of info an error, but if a source specifically defied another source by flat out contradicting it, such as specifically saying that something didn't have something, that other sources said that they had, then there is a problem.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Speaking of TIE Defenders, the NEGVV's appendix of hyperdrive/sublight speed stats says it has no hyperdrive! Its own entry also makes no mention of it, except for an off comment. In fact, both N/EGVVs forgot to include its tractor beam.

8. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    This is good stuff. We need more updates...

9. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    And the Aethersprite is supposedly faster than the Defender! (though that may be possible)

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Excellence
    Date Posted: 3:22am Subject: RE: "Here They Come"- TIE Fighter Variant Databank Update!
    Speaking of TIE Defenders, the NEGVV's appendix of hyperdrive/sublight speed stats says it has no hyperdrive! Its own entry also makes no mention of it, except for an off comment. In fact, both N/EGVVs forgot to include its tractor beam.

There was a shieldess, and hyperdriveless TIE Defender according to Coruscant and the Core Worlds. It's official designation was the TIE Advancedx 7 or something like that. You can use it in Galactic BattleGrounds.

Also, the tractopr beam isn't standard equipment for a TIE Defender. It's an add on.

11. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "And the Aethersprite is supposedly faster than the Defender! (though that may be possible)"

Nope, nothing is faster than a TIE Defender except a Missile Boat's temporary SLAM boosters.

12. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    [Spock]Fascinating.[/Spock]

This is all quite interesting stuff, but I, too, am disappointed that they don't have the Uglies there (yet). Personally I had a hard time visualizing what they looked like so I tried to look them up. Well, then they were destroyed by the Yuuzhan Vong so it didn't really matter any more...

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Mat, I'm only going by what Isard's Revenge says, as any humble reader would. If it says tractor beam, than it says tractor beam; nothing about an add-on modification.

Based on info from NEGVV and Isard's Revenge, the SFS TIE Defender was conceived just before Endor, and a squadron (Onyx Squad) participated in the battle. It's around six and a half metres long, with four lasers and two ions. It's projectile magazine can handle either proton or concussion missiles. It's has a hyperdrive, and a sublight speed 40 perent over an X-wing. I would take that to mean 140 sublight units, which is faster even than an A-wing itself.

Neither both sources, the book or guide, said anything about the tractor being optional. And in fact, neither guide to ships make smention of it. The NEGVV's hyperdrive appendix mistakenly says "no hyperdrive rating" at the back.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    In the original add-on for Tie Fighter "Defender of the Empire"(which is the original source for the Tie Defender), the tractor beam was just an add-on. When you first got the Tie Defenders it did not have the package. In later missions you could choose between adding a Tractor Beam or sensor Jamming Equipment(but not both) depending on what you needed for the mission you were going into.

This info is included in the EU information in th e strategy guide, IIRC as well.

Matt's info is just as valid, as it is a refrence to the Tie Defenders in the EU story in Galactic Battle Grounds, and covers an earlier prototype.

IIRC, this earlier prototype was designed just before ESB, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

15. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Well, the TIE Advanced wasn't developed until after what happened in ESB, and the TIE Defender shortly thereafter

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, those were later models that were developed during the game tiefighter, retcons have added even earlier prototypes that were created earlier in time. This earlier prototype which Matt brought up has absolutely no shields, no hyperdrive, and IIRC is a bit slower too.

17. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    Would it have beena asking to much trouble for Lucasarts to let Imperial players build the actual TIE Defender (production model) in Galactic Battlegrounds?

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    You mean with shields, upgraded speed, more powerful weapons?

You can, as I recall they are upgrades you can buy. The base level production is just a slower, shieldless model.

19. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I'd just like to note that the TIE/gt weapons bay being able to hold 20,000 plastic flyers for propoganda purposes made me smile. :)

What?s taters, Preciousss?

20. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    That must have really ticked off the santitation worker's union and the environmental lobby groups. Imagine having to pick up all those flyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.