main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Here we go again

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by PaSco, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaSco

PaSco Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    Here we go again. It seems as though almost all interest has died again. For the most part I'm betting it's because we have no sense of structure. Perhaps we would do better if we had some kind of leadership structure. That way various areas could kind of "govern" themselves and MDFF wouldn't keep losing interests. I think we should somehow create a sort of council. Just like what was discussed earlier. Have small groups within, and then the leaders of those groups meet every once in a while. I say this cause I hate to see the MDFF die.

I also say this cause one person alone cannot run the entire group. Perhaps Mogook can be the head person and the people who run or lead the smaller groups could report to him. That way we don't loose interest.

Also, I suggest that we try and contact any other MD groups to see if we can expand. But I am only one person, does anyone else agree with anything that I've said?

2. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    *raies hand*

I agree.

As for the smaller groups, I'm in Annapolis. Anyone nearby, lemme know.

3. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    Hey, I would gladly help out.

I am in Catonsville, which is basically 45 minutes from Annapolis.

And if you want to make a goverment type thing, I would love to be apart of that.

*Reva*

4. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    If any of you guys are around Salisbury, let me know. :) (snow hill, Ocean City, and princess anne count as around, :p )

~Jenn

5. PaSco

Dec 22, 2004
    Mogook, what do you think? I would like to do this but only with your blessing.

6. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jedi_Insurance_Guy Jedi Master star 5

Jul 27, 2004
    I'm back from my self-imposed exile. What's the good word at the MDFF?

7. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I think the government thing is the best. This way, all of our members have an opportunity to be part of MDFF without having to travel hours to a meeting.

I think the first step is to see where there should be meetings.

Someone from Eastern MD can start a new thread about Eastern meetings. The same goes for someone from Western MD. Then, if these threads become important, we can make them sticky.

8. RevaDurron

Jan 27, 2005
    Are we going to do anything about this goverment thing?

*Reva*

9. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    So, should we find out where everyone is, and divide accordingly?

Or divide and just have people show up to the closest one established?

10. PaSco

Dec 22, 2004
    I'd say that we elect some sort of leadership first, that way the leader of each area can decide on a time and place to have a meeting. I'd like to step up to lead but my schedule is really tight right now and don't have much time to lead, but am willing to help out any way I can when I can. But the first thing we need to do is create a leadership of some sorts.

11. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Hm...

I was thinking we should get a general idea of where everyone is and divide into groups...then have the groups choose their own leadership.

Leadership first would work fine, though. I'm fairly busy overall at the moment, so I'm willing to help out with stuff around me, but don't have the time to actually be one of the leaders.

12. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Before leadership is chosen for the groups, it's probably best for the groups to be divided first. The individual groups should be able to choose their respective leaders.

13. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jul 27, 2004
    So, how are we going to divide this? Eastern Shore, Central&Southern Maryland, and Western Maryland?

14. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Dear Friends of MDFF:

I'm here after a long time out of the lines, but it never kill the flame for SW. I've been getting prep up for the upcoming SW movies and I want to provide my 2 cents for the MDFF. It is my opinion that getting a structure is vital for the survival of the MDFF.

I don't think there is an issue with who should be in what position, but more of a location vs. commitment. Being responsible for a position requires commitment from everyone. But location can be a crucial factor when it comes to frequent meetings and organizing activities between members. For example, I live in Southern MD, and I have met at least 4 other SW fans that have never heard of the MDFF. By creating centralize chapters we could increase the number of members and at the same time have a better MDFF.

Having a North, South, East and West chapters we could have more participation. And it would allow for the creation of a "Main Senate", if you want to call it like that, that could meet 2 or 3 times a year. This way it gives everyone the opportunity to work towards that big MDFF meeting. Having people on local chapters allows for a better communication and travel within a very reasonable distance... and even sometimes is people we see almost every day.

It is not my intention to divide the MDFF into different groups, but to actually unify everyone in a more organize way. Every organization has a similar structure. You have a national chapter, a state chapter and a county chapter.

I recognize that I have not been as active as I want to within the MDFF, but if this reconstruction of the FF occurs, I would like to take part of the Southern MD area organization.

Thanks for your time.
    God Bless.
    May the Force be with you.... Always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA NE-REGION
    MDFF

15. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jul 27, 2004
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea......

16. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Doesn't sound bad at all.

17. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    I'm still around, but mainly only communicating via PM and email.

18. RevaDurron

Jan 27, 2005
    I am still interested in the leadership thing.

I spend most of my time in Central Maryalnd, but I do have a home in Southern Maryland as well.

I could do something for the Central Maryland part, and I would gladly like to meet of MDFF'ers, because I haven't really met anyone.

Anyway, who is deciding all of this?

19. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jul 27, 2004
    Anyway, who is deciding all of this?

And therein lies the problem......obviously this is something we'd all need to agree on, for two reasons:

1.) So that it is a system of government satisfactory to everyone; and

2.) So that we'd all know about it.

Now, my impression is that no one would be opposed to the division of the state into different regions, all part of a greater whole. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I think that settling on this will be the easy part - the organization of the individual regions, and actually getting people to attend and participate will be another story entirely. I remember last year I tried to get a group of us together to go to Champs in Frederick (so that our Western MD members could attend with relative ease), and all of 1 person committed to attending. Needless to say, we didn't do anyting that weekend. I'm hoping that with the movie drawing nearer, people will be a little more motivated to get involved. I guess we'll see.

20. RevaDurron

Jan 27, 2005
    Yes, we should get together and decide on what to do about all of this. And, yes I think that you are right in the area that all of us agree that we should split it up.
    But we should have one general manager of sorts for the entire MDFF, shouldnt we? Then four more other managers right?

*Reva*

21. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jul 27, 2004
    I think that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Like this:

Maryland FF Supreme Chancellor
    l
    V
    Maryland FF Regional Governors (Western MD, Eastern MD, Central MD, Southern MD)
    l
    V
    Individual members of each region.

Obviously, the Supreme Chancellor would be the one who could keep the US Regional Rep apprised of what we were doing, etc. And the Regional Governors would report to the Supreme Chancellor.

22. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    My work and school load has gotten a bit lighter as of late. So, I have enough spare time to help organise things at least on a local level (central MD). If anyone in that area is interesting in a meeting sometime this month, let me know on here or over PMs.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

23. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Dear Friends in the Force:
    I think everyone (so far) is responding in a positive way to the organization of the MDFF. Is good to see (actually hear) people, in a voluntary approach, trying to help the MDFF. Teamwork, that is the key.

I'm going to be bold enough to say this and hoping that nobody feels oppose that we select Mogook as the Main (Chairman, Person, Chancellor, etc) POC for the whole MDFF. In the time I have been a member he has been like the leader for everyone. I'm saying this, so now we can start having someone giving us directions on how to make the next move.

My next suggestion is to find volunteers to take the role of Chapter leaders in the areas. This does not mean that they would become the official ones. Mostly is to start things up. I already noticed that there's movement from the Central and some from the Western side of Maryland. And I think this is a positive thing. Me, I would like to work with the south part of MD if it is possible.

Remember, my friends in the Force, that we are not trying to divide the MDFF just trying to organize in a way that can work better. We have to agree that we will always come to this site to keep track of all events and everything that is going on MDFF. This will be out central database, our Holo-net (if you want to call it like that) to keep everyone inform. Now, this doesn't mean that if you want to attend other Chapter's meeting you will be prohibited from doing so. On the other hand. I think it would be good for the MDFF team spirit.

Having volunteers to begin the hard work usually pays good. "There's nothing stronger than a heart of a volunteer," [Baldwin in Pearl Harbor Movie as Col. Doolittle]. An I agree with him. You see, when you are motivated by heart, nothing will stop you. Yes, we might encounter some bumps along the way. But together we can do anything.

Just a thought.

Best of regards, my friends in the Force.
    God Bless.
    May the Force be with you... Always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA NE-REGION
    MDFF

24. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jul 27, 2004
    I have no problem with Mogook being the head cheese. Sounds like a wonderful idea.

25. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Real quick: What exactly are we considering each of these regions to be? What exactly is the Southern Maryland? Which side of the bay is that on? It might be helpful if we could figure out the regions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.