main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Sloopydrew

Sloopydrew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, it was an investor's call. Yes, I expected it to be mostly about money. But it was grossly cynical. Their reasons for buying Star Wars' should have the fans terrified. And a Star Wars every two years into infinity? The uniqueness and "event" status a Star Wars' film holds will likely be gone.

As far as Disney's previous acquisitions and sci-fi work; The Avengers is clearly the best that came out of it, but even as a super-hero fan and Joss Whedon fan, I felt it was overrated and fairly pedestrian. It definitely is not what I would want to see from the Star Wars' franchise. The rest? Disney's Pixar brought us Cars 2 and Brave. Definitely not examples of Pixar's best work. As far as sci-fi under Iger at Disney? We had Tron and John Carter. Neither were especially well handled or especially good. This is the guy who, as they said on the conference call, Kathy will be "reporting to" throughout the making of the Star Wars' films.

I'm sorry I don't share your excitement re: this merger. I am happy to see you have hope of great things coming out of it. But I see a ton of companies, such as Dark Horse, losing their licensing agreements. I see firings in Korea. I can even see Skywalker Ranch shutting down after the initial trilogy is complete.

It is a dark time for the Rebellion -- as it just sold itself to Walt Disney.

Again, I'm happy you, and others, can remain excited for this. I'm not.

2. Master-obiwan

Master-obiwan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 13, 2004
    Glad to be back, I came here as soon as I found. Lets have fun

3. Sloopydrew

Sloopydrew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    The hatred of the prequels is almost entirely retroactive. I was there at midnight screenings. I was there at an advance screening of Sith (my review was the first posted on RT). People loved these movies. Yes, a large number have now decided they dislike/resent/hate them, but they were initially loved by fans. But I hope episodes 7,8,9 and then the one-offs that are planned for every 2 years into infinity please you. Disney's track-record with sci-fi is stellar.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Were you here? Because here it has been ravenous since right before the release in 99, when the early reviews hit.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hmm. Don't want this to devolve into a basher/gusher debate, but I don't think that's true.

I would say that for most SW fans, who grew up with the OT, even if they enjoyed the PT, the originals were clearly superior.

Agree that it was cool to poke fun at SW, but much of the hatred and cynicism was unfeigned and some of it justified.

The ironic thing is that I was a pretty big PT defender overall in my day, but they haven't aged well for me, particularly AOTC.

6. AquaVitae

AquaVitae Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2008
    Bah! Just when I thought I was done with SW..they keep pulling me back in. I was glued to the Ep 3 forums. Surprised I wasn't fired from work back in the day.

7. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Yeah, I remember when this place was split the day TPM opened. It was fairly split along a generational line of those who saw the OT in the theaters and those who grew up with them on video or during the SE.

For me, I grew up with the OT in the theaters and still appreciate the PT, though they don't rank as highly as the OT.

8. Juwbacca

Juwbacca Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, when I saw the Phantom Menace, everyone I went with and knew enjoyed the movie. The early critic reviews I read were favorable, including one from Roger Ebert. Then within a couple weeks, I noticed a sharp backlash. It felt almost like the initial "buzz" of a new SW movie wore off and alot of people were like, "Hey, what was that, George? That wasn't the SW I grew up with!" And then the bashing floodgates opened. I enjoyed the Prequels for what they were. I went into those movies already knowing that they were going to be completely and utterly different animals. As the years went on, I always defended these movies. I watched them repeatedly at home as well. At this point for me, RotS certainly still stands out as the best of the PT. I really love that movie. Episodes 1 & 2 are still somewhat enjoyable for me with the Phantom Menace being the least. At the end of the day, it's still SW to me. They are worthy.

I look forward to the upcoming ST. It's a dream come true really.

9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    So... I was thinking about how much time has passed in my life throughout the film history of Star Wars and I came to a nice analogy to describe it...

Here's what I was driving during the OT releases...
    [​IMG]

Here's what I was driving during the PT releases...
    [​IMG]

Here's what I drive now!
    [​IMG]
    AND
    [​IMG]

10. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    That's because modern blockbuster is ingenious in its creation of hype - the length of which lasts according to the intelligence and the pessimism/optimism of the individual.

It isn't until you evaluate what you just watched that you realise its flaws. Or instead you can focus on the uber cool action! :rolleyes:

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I still can't believe we're talking about Episode 7 as a real, confirmed thing. Don't know what to make of the ST announcement yet. The Disney purchase part was not a complete suprise, but the new movies part definitely was.

12. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Nice perspective Evil_elf. For me, when I used to post here, I had to make sure I was getting my college homework done. Now while I am posting on here, I have to make sure my daughter is getting her elementary school homework done.

13. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    What to make of it? Pure Star Wars fan heaven!!!!!!

14. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Having had a couple days to take this all in I have to say this is great news for Star Wars fans!
    I'm still in shock. All this speculation takes me back and it's a great feeling!
    I wonder if ill be able to stay spoiler free!

15. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I think most of us learned during the PT development... our excitement makes it near impossible to remain spoiler free. Thus we all joined the Hyperspace and took in all the possible spoilers we could! Watching the webcam became a religious event almost! [face_laugh]

16. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Yeah I remember the web cam shot showing anakins new hair! People freaked out.

17. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Evil Elf, I was driving a red Probe during the PT as well! For I and II, that is. (and a big wheel during the OT..)

18. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Good Lord, I've been reading these threads almost non-stop since 6 AM Pacific Time...how am I going to be a functioning member of society for the next two and a half years!!?!?

SithStarSlayer and Grimby like this.
  19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The Probe GT I had was a '94... it was a pretty decent car... very underrated. I actually traded it in for the Tiburon I posted just prior to RotS... but none of them compare to that GT500! That car is a modern automotive work of art! Paid cash for in last year... I park it in the winter, and only drive it in fair weather. Unfortunately the weather has been turning, so I parked it for the year on Monday.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Normal is overrated!

21. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    It has been a few days and I still can't believe they're making more. My mind is just blown.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My response was 'Holy Carp' for a full day, and now I have settled on Murderous Excitement.

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I suppose I ought to ask: who is the murderous half directed at? :p

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    his own sanity probably.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. I_Died_Once

I_Died_Once Jedi Master

Mar 14, 2005
    I first came to this forum somewhere before Episode 2 came out, lurked much during the anticipation of Episode 3. Haven't really been back since then. One of the first thoughts to hit my mind when I heard the news earlier this week was how nazi-like and strict the moderators were during those times about silly things like starting a new thread when there might be a discussion already started, getting all upset and bent out of shape over nothing really... Maybe the guard has changed, don't know or care, but I get a slight bit of pleasure when I think of all the influx of new traffic that might not adhere to the "strict standards" as set forth. I imagine those mods as being upset at the news, as it'll ruin these precious forums and their organization. Stupid, I know, but I would read the admin's upset comments, berating new users for the most minor of infractions and just laugh at the pointless bickering. I might have to make a point to return just to read the butthurt in action.

I mean, someone would start a thread about something to do with, say, Chewbacca... and along comes an upset poster mad because you didn't reply to a 48 page thread all about Chewbacca. I really hope this forum has moved beyond such silliness since then. But I still get a kick out of thinking about all the new people that will eventually come by and *gasp* START A NEW THREAD!!! I can see some nobody, reading the news and thinking "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.