main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Hi there, I am new to the-force.net or at least I think I am. I can't remember if I actually posted here before under some other name, I remember lurking here around the time of the release of ROTS. Anyways a bit of my personal history with Star Wars. I am 31 going on 32 and I was born about six months after the release of The Empire Strikes Back. I first saw the original trilogy on TV (ironically I think it was on the Disney Channel) in the mid to late 1980's and I have been a fan since then. I bought a whole bunch of the toys and stuff when I was a kid and oddly I remember hearing from my dad and then reading myself that George Lucas planned star wars to be "nine episodes" and thus even then the ideas for a prequel and sequel trilogy sparked my imagination. I remember hearing the official announcement in I think either 1993 or 1994 that George Lucas was going to make episodes I, II, III as well as a fourth Indiana Jones move.

When the prequel trilogy came out I actually liked it and defend it to this day. I still prefer the original trilogy on balance (although sometimes I am actually tempted to rank ROTS just a tad above ROTJ) but the prequel trilogy I loved for several reasons, one of them being Palpatine, his character was so fleshed out and he became one of my all time favorite villains as well as the planet coruscant (another hobby of mine is skyscrapers and cities so it makes sense). However by the time ROTS came out in 2005 I kind of accepted the fact that is the end of Star Wars and I was satisfied with that because the story seemed reasonably well wrapped. Of course in the back of my mind I always thought if I had the chance to push a magic button that would allow 7,8 and 9 to be made I would go for it.

I moved on from Star Wars and focused my attention on the other three film franchises I am huge on; Indiana Jones (I am also a defender of KOTCS), Star Trek and James Bond. Actually on up until late Tuesday afternoon I was so focused on watching Halloween movies and in James Bond mode gearing up for the US release of Skyfall that Star Wars was very far from my mind. I mean for goodness sake I was spending more time on an Indiana Jones forum looking for news about a possible Indiana Jones 5, who would have thunk the possiblity of Harrison Ford returning as Han Solo would come before news about him returning as Indiana Jones. Heck I am also a political junkie and this news has got me to stop paying close attention to the Presidential race! The mere fact that something this MEGA HUGE could have been kept secret until a press release in 2012 is just amazing to me. Now we get to see the nine episode Star Wars saga we all heard about many years ago and something to look forward to besides the usual ho-hum (the aformentioned not withstanding) of new Hollywood blockbusters these days.

Dranem and starwarsjunkie7 like this.
  2. Reina_Amidala

Reina_Amidala Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    That old feeling is back, excellent!

SamiS likes this.
  3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
  4. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm new here! Had to join after the announcement.

When I found out yesterday I was shocked and surprised and happy! I'd always held up hope for a new trilogy and now it's finally here. I spent the rest of the morning looking up information online hehe. Didn't get much work done, I must admit haha.

I too loved the prequel trilogy, I thought the acting was dodgy as hell but everything else I liked. Revenge of the Sith was my favourite of the PT, though. I'm so happy for this ST! I was hoping they might be adaptations of the Thrawn Trilogy but it looks like it'll be an original story.

Can't wait to share this experience with you guys and read every little rumour, teasers, trailers.. Oh lawwwd I can't wait for 2015!

basketballsith likes this.
  5. basketballsith

basketballsith Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2012
    Like the rest of you I can not wait. Is it okay to admit yet that although the PT was fun but it could have been so much better? The best thing that could of happened was for Lucas to hand the franchise over, his control freakery (and bad ideas - an 8 year old anakin?) ruined the PT. The OT is where it's at, I'll never forget the rush I got seeing Empire for the first time, ever since I've been chasing the dragon with other movies but I've never come close to the buzz of that movie.

Like many of you my oldest boy, 6, is now a fan and the thought of going to a star wars movie with him fills me with excitement. Last year we both sat and watched episodes 1 - 6 in a row on blue ray. We ate junk food and called it star wars day. I went to the attic in my mothers house and dug out my old toys. My son now plays with my old millenium falcon, bought in 1985! (Along with the other original toys, AT-AT, scout walker, x-wing etc...) Star Wars is special, and long may it continue.

Angel Eyes likes this.
  6. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    ^ I am so happy about these movies for that reason. I have a little boy that is 2 and a half and I can't wait to share these movies with him. The old feeling is back indeed.

Dranem likes this.
  7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    We are owned by Disney now!

[​IMG]

And I thought my Dutch was lousy when I opened the morning paper very tired on the train on Halloween morning!

And you guys discussing an episode 7 makes it more real to me. But somehow, it feels like a funeral.

8. Barra_Jedi

Barra_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    Hmm...Who is the bigger loser? The one who is comes around for big events but still remains an eternal fan, or the person who hangs around the boards 24/7, having 50,000 posts and giving credence to the stereotypical star wars nerd who lives in mom's basement?

Think that make you go hmmm...

9. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Same here with my 3 year old boy. He loves Chewbacca and Jar Jar (of course) and after Sith I just assumed it would be a few decades perhaps before a new movie would come. These are truly exciting times for fans!

10. Barra_Jedi

Barra_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2002

Same here.

11. L0RD VADER

L0RD VADER Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Ah my God, sooo excited, been here around now for the last 15 years (Before 2000 under another username)... Looks like I'll be 50 and still be on TheForce.Net :)

12. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I have three kids and I hope they don't leave the theater thinking that the Lord of the Rings is better. The prequels left me thinking that way. That said, I hope they nail this!

13. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    The OT was visually smaller because of the tech at the time. As far as I'm concerned the PT was a lot of fun despite some of the acting issues. Is Star Wars really where you go for acting greatness? The Duel of the Fates is the best saber duel in the franchise. Yes, Jar Jar makes me cringe but the kids like it. We cant expect the closed quarters intimacy of the originals, it would bore the pants off today's kids. Us older folks need to remember this is not all about us any more. I hope the ST is bigger than ever and takes us places we cant imagine. You can never go back home. These movies will be great.

14. ShortRound131

ShortRound131 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2012
    Alright I just joined, I am going to let my inner nerd out for this trilogy. Holy crap I'm so excited.

15. CthulhuPunk

CthulhuPunk Jedi Master

Oct 31, 2007
    Another aging grognard shuffling in from the retirement home ;)
    Hello.
    I was very active on here in the years leading up to the PT and during. I went by the moniker Darth Biggles. I was working in the book trade then and supplying info to TFN from Dorling Kindersley/Penguin :D Aaaah... My days as a spy...
    I rejoined here a few years ago under my current name. And NOW is the time to become active once again.
    I turned 40 this year. This means I saw ANH in the theatre at age 6 (It was released in 1978 in England)
    So I'm a First Generation Star Wars fan who is once more feeling the thrill. And I'm looking forward to the next 3 years of speculating wildly and enjoying the drip-drip of info.
    Let the good times roll chums!! :)

16. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    So Excited!!!!!!!!!!! This is still hard to believe. I just hope that people will not be disappointed when they turn out to be quite different films than the OT. The last thing I want is ST bashers. People need to realize that the films will be different with probably all different actors. I'll bet the droids will still be there though. It certainly would be a dream come true to see the original cast again, but it's unrealistic to have them as main characters after all these years. New characters will be the central ones.

Did I say I was exited????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I can't wait. I did not think this was going to happen.

Also, I've noticed people talking about 2SA, 3SA, and 7SA. What are those?

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Spoilers Allowed forums. Doesn't really apply here, yet. :p

19. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    7SA = Episode 7: Spoilers Allowed. SA and NSA were the prefixes used on the old boards during the PT for forums and threads to separate spoiler and non spoiler discussions.

Can't believe we're going to have 7SA...seriously, is this real?

20. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    This is a very exciting time, especially now that we know we can expect a SW every three years or so. My geeky side is glowing.
    Now perhaps I can focus on my energy on speculating on the ST, and spend less time lamenting the PT!

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I miss the TF.N news box at the bottom of the pages like we had on the old format. Any chance we could get that back in some form or another, it was very useful for keeping in touch with the main TF.N page?

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Holy Waru there's a lot of newbies. But see, this is why I'm glad about the news. Thanks to this acquisition, SW is gonna thrive for a lot longer than it might have otherwise!

23. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I must say, I wasn't around in 2005 on this board. Happy to be here for these new and exciting events leading to EPVII. [face_dancing]

I'm also glad George removed his gorilla grip on the Star Wars Property and has decided to let a new generation have a go at it.

Seriously, I am so excited to see what can be done with it. I am sure there will be new and exciting ideas coming our way. And I am sure the nitpicking ail continue, but at least now there's excitement, speculation, and people talking about how much they love Star Wars and not all the BS that has been thrown around for the last 7 years.

My humble opinion, or course. :)

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Grimby has it on his to-do list.

G-FETT likes this.
  25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Good, good. Everything is proceding as I have forseen.[face_mischief]