main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    KSennia likes this.
  2. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I hated the idea of Episode VII at first, but it's growing on me now. All they need to do is get Spielberg or Peter Jackson directing and get John Williams onboard and I'll be a happy chappy.

Coruscant likes this.
  3. Hermi_Odle

Hermi_Odle Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2011
    Hey guys. Long time no see. I too was a long serving member on these forums, used to go by the name "Yoda_Jedi_Luke" - imaginitive huh? Ahh, I was young. Had to register again with this name as my old login didnt work...

Anyway, I remember a lot of good memories of being on these boards at the time - I used to post my own artwork which people dug and I apprciated that. This was the time when the only Clone Wars show was the Tartakovsky one! I remember joining Hyperspace in 2004 just so I could get exclusive access to the latest Ep 3 news and I remember all the buzz about that shot of Anakin holding his gloved hand to camera, the infamous "Back in Black" video and all the farting Yoda stuff...who was that guy who used to give you snippets of the script if you were nice to him? I remember him telling me about Captain Kagi being loyal to Palps...

But, I'm here again because this news has made me feel like a kid again. I actually don't care what Lucas does with his money, its up to him, but I'm confident he wants to put Star Wars' best interests at heart. You can't really go wrong with Disney can you?? As long as they keep the classic SW motifs in place (the music, the titles, the scene wipes etc) then all will be well. I'm just hoping that the original cast sign up, or at least have cameos. Surely they'd be up for it?

Anyway, let the speculation begin! This news has really made my day, cant believe there's new Star Wars movies around the corner! "Yippee!"

Gala likes this.
  4. Gala

Gala Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    I am soo very excited. There's nothing like this type of news from my favorite fandom to get my imagination flowing! I completely geeked infront of my family yesterday. I never wanted to be in my own home so badly so I could feel free to squeel and cheer as I want without being side-eyed!

KSennia likes this.
  5. President Kenobi

President Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I went back and thought and remembered my old user name. Logged in and looked at some of my old post (the last was June 15, 2005). Anyway, what struck me is that I seemed very young (I was 30). Anyway, I'll keep this one as I feel like I am the older, wiser New Hope Ben Kenobi now. :)

SkywalkerDiCo likes this.
  6. Gala

Gala Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012

That's why I am here too! :) I was Gala-kemen back in the day.

Hyperspace 2004!! Aww memories! I'm glad you made your way back :D

7. SkywalkerDiCo

SkywalkerDiCo Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Welcome back Pres Kenobi! Same here, I have not been on TFN since 2003 and had to recreate myself too! But for something like this, I am super excited to join my old SW family.

I got hooked reading X-Wing Rogue Squadron at night in high school 14 years ago, then geeking out and going to Franklin Street UNC for massive Halloween parties in college as young Obi Wan, to watching the dvds/blu-rays with my wife each holiday. Now I get to be just as excited about a rekindling of our beloved story line with my soon to be new born daughter with Ep VII, and share the excitement with her with every movie.

I am so optimistic and hopeful that these will be everything we want to see in the franchise, continuing the saga for generations to come

President Kenobi likes this.
  8. Hermi_Odle

Sep 18, 2011
    Thanks! The one main factor that I've loved about SW fandom is how accepting and fun the fans are. I've been on a few forums over the years for various different franchises, and rather than the petty bickering and tedious nitpicking over on those, I've always found SW fans to be generally nice - just positive to be talking and sharing in something we all mutually love.

I think its because Star Wars taps into a very special place in all of us, it transports us to childhood where everything was possible and days were long and golden! I'm a little older now and less obsessive in some ways (I sold my Star Wars action figure collection a few years ago, something that must have cost thousands to collect, when I add up...) and I've refined my tastes, but Star Wars will always be a part of me. Its one of my first and most faithful loves. The amount of good memories I have of the saga is impossible to count, from playing on Rogue Squadron with my pals when I was still in school, to something as recent as watching The Phantom Menace in 3D with my girlfriend, or buying the saga on blu ray last year.

Long live Star Wars, lets just embrace the fun and enjoy the ride! I'm getting goosebumps again! Buying "Star Wars Insider" will be a must again, for the latest filiming reports and photos!!

9. President Kenobi

President Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Hermi_Odle you obviously missed out on some of the fun EU canon/not canon discussions from years past.

Darth_Martus likes this.
  10. Hermi_Odle

Sep 18, 2011
    I kept up to date with some of that, but most of it went over my head. But thats always been the case with the EU, people argue whats relevant and whats not, I'm sure I remember Lucas saying years ago that his Star Wars films are the true vision of SW and the EU doesnt really count, but fans are entitled to pick and choose what they like to believe and discard the rest.

Thats what I've always done, and I enjoyed a lot of the post-ROTJ stuff, like Splinter of the Minds Eye and so on. Theres so much potential there for Eps 7-9 so I dont really see how they can screw things up...

11. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i was just thinking that pres kenobi...

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Like John Williams for music, of course. I'm not too sure about Spielberg or Jackson, though. I was the opposite of you about Episode VII- I have always loved the idea of continuing the story, but it was the combination of Disney and SW that initially scared me. However, after having a while to think and read about it, I realized there's nothing to be scared about.

I like this forum.

[​IMG]

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  13. junior senator

junior senator Jedi Master star 1

Aug 9, 1998
    Grimby, isn't this a strange feeling?

I joined this place a long time ago, but I moved on from the JC as a place where I E-socialize. I still keep in touch with a handful of people from waaay back in the day from here, but have wondered what happened to other friends from here that I lost touch with.

I came home late last night and found out the news about Ep 7. Old feelings kind of rushed back. Not just about the new film, but about thinking about the past. The people I interacted here and what life and expectations were like for me when I first joined the JC.

This is all rather strange and amazing at the same time

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I must say, I am greatly pleased about all this news. This will breath new life into the franchise not seen since 2005. [face_peace]

PoorGreedo and KED12345 like this.
  15. junior senator

Aug 9, 1998
    My feelings are mixed. I supposed I appreciated closer and completion to the saga. I think my preferences are that if there were any new films, they would be an entirely different arc.

Of course I hold the unpopular opinion, though.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nah, I feel the same.

17. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Indeed.....ah the clone debate, I was on the losing side of that one, but man did have fun with it back in the day

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Actually, I like the idea of an entirely different arc, with an entirely different set of characters.

Episode I-III sets it up, and is about Anakin's rise and fall.
    Episode IV-VI sets up the redemption of Anakin Skywalker through his son, Luke with the guidance of Obi-Wan.
    Episode VII-XI is about the rise of a new character, with the guidance of Luke as either a force ghost, or an old Jedi.

Really liking the possibilities this may go.

PoorGreedo likes this.
  19. junior senator

Aug 9, 1998
    But that is not the marketable way to go.

I am a bit dismayed at how soon this movie is going to get here. I worry about the lack of thoughtfulness. I'd rather wait a couple years longer and see something that isn't rushed.

20. sshindel

sshindel Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2005
    I've got a pretty good feeling that a few things are at play here.
    1) This deal has been in the works for a looong time.
    2) In part of preparing for the deal, folks at Lucasfilm have been working full-throttle to get a solid treatment ready
    3) The treatment must have been good enough for them to mention it in the press releases, otherwise I think they could have kept it quiet and just said "we will be working on getting a new film out as soon as feasible".

So, I doubt they started working on this recently, it's been under development for quite some time at this point.

21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Defiantly, probably started writing up the scripts for Episode VII in 2010. Ever since they announced the 3D re-releases, and the Blu-Ray additions, plus with the Clone Wars merchandising - it's obvious that the original plan was to release Episode VII in 2016 or 2017, solely because they wouldn't have enough money to make a movie by 2015. But when they realized then 3D re-releases weren't going to make nearly enough money, that's when Disney came involved.

So in truth, Episode VII has probably been in the works for a good two years, ever since the rumor in 2010 started flying there would be more (rumors that were ''debunked'' by LucasFilm). It's obvious that the rumors were indeed correct.
    http://furiousfanboys.com/2010/10/star-wars-sequel-trilogy-due-in-2019/

syferdiasisalie and sshindel like this.
  22. JediChris99

JediChris99 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't wait. When I heard the announcement yesterday I was stunned and numb. Then I started thinking about what it was like as the prequel trilogy was developed. The news, the rumours, the trailers, the excitement, the speculation. I loved that time period and now we get it all over again. I'm 38 now and in 2015 my daughter will be 7, around the same age as I was when Star Wars became part of my life (the first movie I really remember is Empire - I saw the original in the theatre as a re-release, seeing as I was only three in 1977). I can't believe I will get to take her to a new Star Wars movie! Let the excitement begin!

KSennia, yodarulzall and KED12345 like this.
  23. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    That makes me feel really old now lol. I turn 30 this year, and I thought wait I wasn't 13 when prequel hype started was I? Oh ... wait. Yeah, I was. Dang.. haha!

24. junior senator

Aug 9, 1998
    Bowen,

I made my username because I was 17 at the time and felt justified by calling myself junior senator. I turn 32 in December. :/

fettmaster39 likes this.
  25. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    Where's time gone eh? crazy !