main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I first saw Star Wars in 1977 when I was about 5 1/2. My parents took me and my 3 yo brother to see it at the drive-in. I was hooked ever since. We had posters, collected toys and figures, and played with them. Then SW sort of drifted away until the Zahn trilogy came out. I read them but wasn't really satisfied. Then about 1996 GL announced he was releasing Special Editions as a precursor to the PT. I went to see the SE's and I don't mind them for the most part -- save Han not shooting first.

Me and my friends began collecting the new POTF figures. I was so excited for new SW I said that Episode I would smash all movie records (I was wrong of course.) I used to come to TFN almost everyday looking for news and clues. I was so excited that I got a part-time job at a local movie theater for about $6 / hr (even though I had a full-time job) just so I could be in place to see SW first. And I did, I saw the trailers that I put on crappy movies. I saw the teaser posters and banners and then in 99 I put the movie together and viewed it the night before to make sure it was okay. Exciting times!

I quit my movie job after Episode I came out. Then, in 2002 I went to see Monsters Inc. just so I could see the AOTC trailer. I bought a Nintendo Gamecube just so I could play Rogue Squadron II. In fact, the only video games I ever played during the 2000's were SW games.

Then 2005 came. It was bitter-sweet at best. Sure the PT would conclude and we'd see the ultimate fall but it would be the ultimate fall for SW fans as well as GL said he wouldn't make anymore movies. I tried to get into the Clone Wars but wasn't impressed with the movie. I tried to keep tabs of the supposed live-action TV show but news was sporratic and eventually that was postponed. So pretty much since 2005 I drifted away.

Then in October -- some have dubbed "D-Day" -- I have literaly been on a SW high. I have re-connected to TFN and updated my SW bookmarks. I have come to TFN everyday since posting about Episode VII and I have started playing The Old Republic everyday since. Also, I have started watching TCW series, just finishing Season I and I started catching up with the Robot Chicken episodes as well and it's not stopping! I still can't get enough SW! I'm totally geeking out for Star Wars again all because someone promised Episode VII!!!

2. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Totally echo your sentiments.

yodasbum and Echo-07 like this.
  3. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    to respond, all I can say is ME TOO!

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Reading that post is like looking into a mirror. the only difference is a like the clonewars movie & tv shows.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, I didn't like the movie really. However, I like the series much better for some reason.

yodasbum likes this.
  6. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Very similar, I haven't stayed connected with the Clone Wars shows, although I hear they're not bad, but the "D-Day" announcement reignited my excitement.

Echo-07 likes this.
  7. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I was 8 when I watched Episode I so I've never had a falling out with Star Wars. It was probably because I have always been so engrossed with the EU. I do enjoy The Clone Wars and am very much looking forward to the lore that Episode VII will bring.

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    I was 13 when I stood in line for 2 hours to see "Star War" in Cambridge, MA, 1977 (Spy Pond Cinema). Since then I have seen every SW movie at the cinema on the opening weekend, except for ROTS which I did the Midnight opening day viewing (Rutland, VT).

With the announcement that Mr. Lucas have removed his gorilla grip on SW to allow it to be opened up to new audiences and film makers, I am now that 13 year old boy again. Currently I am 48.

For me, I loved the Prequels, as much as the OT. I've been an art director for over 25 years and I understand GL's "artistic vision". His movies have done more for my imagination than any scifi/fantasy/mythology franchise.

I wasn't on the 'net back when the prequels were being developed, or at least I wasn't on like I am now, so be at the start of this new endeavor from ILM/Disney and seeing how it unfolds is just so exciting for me personally.

In the immortal words of Count Dooku... "I've been looking forward to this."

9. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    You should give the show a look see. It's really good. Just don't go in thinking they are the movies.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The Clone Wars show is awesome. There're some hits and misses, but overall it's very solid. It expands the prequel era and actually makes movies better (and I'm saying this as someone who actually enjoyed the prequels).

DarthKreVass likes this.
  11. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I was born in 1980, so I never watched the OT in the theater until the SE came out. My older brothers and I would watch the VHS tapes whenever we could, and we owned a ton of merch - toys, bed sheets, little kid tables, etc.

I admit that the SE was hit or miss for me. I liked the changes to the interiors of Cloud City, but disliked both Han not shooting first and the unnecessary addition of Jabba to ANH, which both looked bad and made the character seem a lot less evil.

I visited TFN multiple times a day when news of the prequels came out. I savored every spoiler, speculation, and outright lie. I saw TPM opening night at a midnight showing. It was disappointing, but it was my first original Star Wars film in a theater moment, so it was still a special night. I saw the other two in the theater as well, but only came away from RotS feeling satisfied.

I had basically written off Star Wars after that. I disliked Lucas' constant fiddling with the originals, and his insistence that the original copies were destroyed/lost (which seems incredibly unlikely). I never really got into the EU. I liked Zahn's work and the X-Wing books, but the rest ranged from mediocre to horrible to me. The less said about the Jedi Academy Trilogy or Shadows of the Empire, the better. I've watched the Clone Wars, but it's only in the last season or so that I can claim it's actually good. It's amazing what all but removing Jar Jar and Padme, and instead building up a solid supporting cast (Rex, Ventress, Hondo, and even Ahsoka) can do.

I am incredibly excited for Ep. VII simply because Lucas is relegated to being a consultant. That may be taboo to say, but in my estimation, Lucas hasn't done anything good since Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He's okay as a general idea guy, but desperately needs others to set boundaries and tweak the ideas so they're entertaining. Otherwise we're left with trade route blockades, senate scenes, and awkward conversations about sand being rough and getting everywhere. I figure new blood and new ideas can't hurt.

What's really exciting for me is that I'll be able to take my new nephew and currently-in-the-oven niece/nephew to their first in-theater Star Wars experience. Star Wars is one of those true generational experiences, and it will be awesome to help pass the torch.

fishtailsam and Echo-07 like this.
  12. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Well I guess I am in the same boat, I post to other forums on the internet about 4 that I have been on for about an average of 6 years, my 8000 post count at TFN is double all the other forums combined, so yeah junkie indeed.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. BobaFettFan331

BobaFettFan331 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2012
    Oh this is going to be great great great. Expansion universe here we come. Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'll definitely echo the sentiments in this thread. I was 7 in '77 and have been a fan -- with all that entails -- ever since. But I have drifted away since 2005, have only caught occasional episodes of TCW and don't read EU except for a sporadic DH comic book.

I will boast, though, that I camped in line for three days to get tix to TPM. Played SW games with fellow fans, including SW Monopoly and tabeltop RPGs. Behind me was Harry Knowles' camp. Harry kindly told me he had read the script to FOTR and we talked about what Jackson had done to Gandalf's character. I was incredibly impressed when Harry turned down entry into a press screening of TPM, at that very theater where we were camped out. He preferred to be one of us, a fan, and to see the film with all of us when it opened to the public. I've had nothing but respect for him ever since, though his father once told me to shut up in a crowded theater where I was heckling one of Quentin Tarantino's awful selections for his low-budget genre festival. I digress.

FRAGWAGON and Echo-07 like this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's actually already a thread for this.

PREPARE FOR MERGER.

16. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :)

17. Poo-Do

Poo-Do Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2012

- This is great. Well said. It sums up how I feel as well.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Failed to mention this before but NOT having SW in my life was like a missing limb, perhaps and arm or hand.

-NaTaLie- and DarthKreVass like this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Echo-07 likes this.
  20. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I've watched Clone Wars and I try to rewatch the movies every year... but without the new movies coming out it's just not the same. Say what you will about the prequels' quality, but it sure was a fun time.

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Eh, most likely not. I'll be very surprised if the new films have Thrawn, Mara Jade, Karrde, et al. as anything other than cameos/easter eggs.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. woochacka-da-bookie

woochacka-da-bookie Jedi Master star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    The OT holds the most sacred spot in my heart. That doesn't mean I didn't like the prequels, the Maul duel is still one of my favorites. The Clone Wars series is OK. It was something to keep me involved in SW. I really do enjoy the books of the EU. One thing I've always appreciated was how continuity between all the stories of the movies, show, and books have in the universe without having parts of the stories contradict or not make sense. I hope now that Disney has ownership I hope the conitnuity is preserved even with the EU. I'd hate to see Leia and Han have like 5 kids and no twins or something like that.

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was 7 and in the first grade when Episode 1 came out. I remember it was Thursday night and my parents came home from work saying "We're going to the opening night of Episode 1" or something along those lines. I was excited and terrified. I was blown away by the movie because a 7 year old can't really point out the faults of a movie, and I had never seen a Star Wars film in theaters.

Echo-07 likes this.
  24. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I don't really have a Star Wars life story. I was 6 when AOTC was released and 9 when ROTS was released. I really have enjoyed both Clone Wars series. I've played a bunch of video games. Now I've just started reading the books about a year ago and I hope to "the Force" that all that good writing isn't just thrown out. But thats about it.

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was three when SW (ANH) came out in '77, so I've been a fan for basically my whole life. Saw it then in the theater and then of course saw the following films as they came out too. So I was six in '80 when TESB came out, and we were living in England at the time. Our neighbor just a few houses away in the small town we lived in was none other than Alec Guinness, so meeting Obi-Wan Kenobi every now and then was pretty mindblowing for a six year old SW fan.

When the PT films came out I loved them too (ROTS the most), and I pretty easily adjusted my SW view from "the Trilogy" to "the Saga". Therefore, I am really hoping that the new films do fit in with the overall Saga too, and that the ST forms the perfect third trilogy. I am less excited about Disney's apparent intentions to keep doing movies after the ST is finished, if that is in fact what their "new movies every couple of years" statement means, but I'm open to see where it goes. I don't get a say anyway, and I doubt they will do anything that will just turn me off from fandom. I suppose that will be easier as a films fan than it would be if I were a fan of the EU.

Echo-07 likes this.