main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Hermi_Odle

Hermi_Odle Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2011
    Sorry if this has been posted but just read a Yahoo News article about celebrity fans and stars of the other SW films reactions to the news, and this quote about Mark Hamill's response seems very positive. The fact that he seems to have some authority on being able to comment on what Ep 7 entails, but he's just waiting for more information, implies to me that he's "in the loop". it seems like he knows more than he's letting on and asking for us to wait a bit for more announcements.

"But Luke Skywalker himself Mark Hamill was marginally less committal, saying: “Congratulations to George for today's mega-deal! Can't comment on Ep 7 before I have all the facts which are short supply right now – Patience.” "

2. ElevationNation

ElevationNation Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2011
    This whole damn thing still feels like a dream. Still hasn't sunk in yet for me.

3. RareSaturn

RareSaturn Jedi Knight

Feb 20, 2008
    It's my first time back in years too. it's like The Quickening...

Grimby likes this.
  4. RareSaturn

RareSaturn Jedi Knight

Feb 20, 2008
    Saw an interview with Mark Hamill saying George told him about it last year. So it's been in the work a while

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Can't believe what I've read these last couple days! I honestly don't know whether to be excited or not...[face_thinking] I would LIKE to be excited!!

There are just soooo many questions. I'm not too worried about the storyline, especially with GL and Kathleen Kennedy having as much control as they will over that aspect. This new trilogy has the potential to either be totally awesome, bringing back all that was wonderful about being a SW fan when the movies were in theaters, OR a continuity-error ridden DISASTER.

I guess that's the ONLY concern for me: the continuity. In order for this to be good to me, I would need to see the ships look similar, the planets look the same, aliens look the same, the opening crawl has to be there, Jedi powers have to be similar to what we know from previous films, and I REAAAALLLLYYY hope and pray that they get John Williams back to do the score! They MUST!

I know there's been speculation about the original cast from the OT returning to reprise their roles, but although I'd LOVE that, I don't see it as realistic. I just don't think it'd work out. I COULD see Han and Leia doing some kind of "grandparents" cameo, perhaps as a hologram as mentioned before-that would be great! And how spine-tinglingly WONDERFUL would it be to have Mark Hamill return as a wiser, more powerful Luke Skywalker, 30 years later (which is what it seems like it will be)??? =P~ Again, not sure if that's realistic, but still-it would be great! No, my guess is that they'll get other actors...but then, there's another possible continuity issue: Those other actors need to be able to look AND act like the younger versions of their characters, otherwise it will be impossible to accept, while watching the films.

So I guess this new trilogy has much potential to be amazing. But for that to happen, IMO, we need to see: John Williams, opening crawl/theme, similar directing style, matching places/technology, and actors who can properly emulate the mannerisms of any included younger characters from the OT.

IF those things are acheived, then I am super stoked and ready for the new journey!!!! [face_dancing]

6. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    If they make the new movies using the monomyth template I will die a happy man.

7. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Wow, I remember you from the Episode III webcam thread! Man, those were the days. I'll never forget logging onto the webcam everyday just to watch a static image of a set being built. Haha. Although sometimes we did get lucky and spot an actor or two. And then there was Bicycle Man and Darth Crane! Oh man, good times.

I, like many others in this thread, had pretty much given up on Star Wars for the last few years. After Episode III came out I accepted the fact that there would never be anymore Star Wars movies and moved on with my life. This news absolutely came out of nowhere. At first I thought it was a hoax, but I did some research online and realized it was the real deal. And just like that, Star Wars is back in my life. I have something to look forward to now for many years to come. As soon as I heard the news the first thing I thought of was coming here to see what people were saying. I get to add TFN to my bookmarks again! I really did miss this place and I hope it gets as lively as it once was. The anticipation and excitement that I felt in the lead ups to Ep 1, 2, and 3 are coming back... I never thought this would happen again. Here's hoping Disney gets a quality director and some decent actors to pull this thing together and make it as good as we know it can (and should) be. Bring on the sequel trilogy!

Darth_Zidious likes this.
  8. Cmdr_Wolf

Cmdr_Wolf Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    OK, as an OT guy who grew up with movies from the start, I'm on board with the idea. It sounds exiting, but I'd like some clarification from Kennedy about the "Avengers-style movie universe" and "Offshoot movies focusing on individual characters". This sounds more like a Marval comic book series at first glance, in my mind. My idea of VII, VIII, IX trilogy (at least what I originally envisioned as a kid years ago) would be the continuation of the story of the Skywalkers. GL has stated that the Skywalker story is over, so now what? A "completely new story" line has been announced so there is no chance of the established EU being involved. Now that the OT actors are much, much older, the whole idea has evolved on what I was hoping for after ROTJ plus 20 years for the next chapter. Now with the state of the art ILM effects with CGI, I could see OT characters returning. Even with the endlessly talented voice actors of Clone Wars series to give some of the OT characters new life would be awesome, but I really want to see some great new Star Wars movies! I'm no prequel hater, but I also want the magic of the OT characters, the interaction between them, how the story arcs were overlapped and intertwined, that was established in ANH and ESB to be the concentration of the story. Then all the state of the art effects can just be gravy to the eye, and not just a filler between plot lines. Maybe this is what the live action TV talk was really about all along. If they have that many stories written already, then I can see production moving pretty quick on the movies. 2015 is plenty of time from now to get it released and have a well made Star Wars movie.

I also feel this is an excellent time to jump on a OT character series, Clone Wars style, somewhere between episodes IV and V. Dave Filoni could run with it, and I could see that being a "force" for Disney XD to get them beyond the teen boys channel that they currently strive to be.

I have a great feeling about this deal, I'm exited to see GL make this move to put Kennedy in charge, and happy to see Lucasfilm get the backing that it needs in Disney. It going to be great to see new Star Wars movies at the theater again!

9. Maximus1138

Maximus1138 Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    I just couldn't remember what my last account was called, so I felt compelled to make a new one.
    After hearing this news, I became a 10-year old again, like when I first watched Star Wars in 1992. I just HAVE to be part of this new trilogy, and spend the coming two years speculating with you guys. New account or not, I'll always be a SW fan, even though I'm not older yet again since the Prequels came out.

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Oh man... this is like when the prequels were announced all over again! My anticipation levels have shot through the roof!!!! I used to post here regularly through the development of those movies etc. After several months post RotS, I started coming here less and less until I hadn't been on these forums at all the past few years. Now I can't help but jump right back in with the excitement of speculation on where the saga might go next!

Think the webcam will be brought back so we can overfill with speculation like we all did over the elevators? [face_laugh]

11. ouchouch

ouchouch Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
  12. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Last time I was here, people were debating whether or not Sidious would be a clone. (Which I contended at the time was ridiculous.)

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I can't wait to find out what the new clone debate is going to be.

PrincessKenobi and JackG like this.
  14. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I am one of those people who forgot their old account details. :p Ah, it's great to be back!

With The Hobbit trilogy, the possibility of Jurassic Park 4, and now Star Wars Episode VII, it seems my childhood wants to return in my 20s!

15. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    So excited. This time around I have kids! This is gonna cost me a fortune. In a good way of course!

Vespasian likes this.
  16. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    Wow, this is my first time back in a looooooooooooooong time as well. It's gonna be so weird but cool doing the whole speculation stuff all over again. You guys are lucky to experience this with your kids, those of you who will. I'm in my early 20s so that's a long way away for me.

Can you guys imagine how this place will be buzzing in November of 2014 when the teaser trailer comes out??[face_hypnotized]
    (I missed these smileys too)

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    We have new smileys too! [face_rofl]

18. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Nice to see I'm not the only one back after forever!!! :)

I am thrilled about this news and have been geeking out ever since I heard.

Now, onto serious matters - will Randy Newman write a song for the new Disney-era trilogy?:p

19. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    Bicycle Man & Darth Crane....I can't believe I almost forgot about them!

LOL so many memories, I remember the first Tarkin make-up shot....I would give my left nut for a spoiler right now, I'm like a recovered crack addict who has just been told there's a stash in the room somewhere!

20. Foxobi

Foxobi Jedi Master

Mar 15, 1999
    Ok, if Mark Hamill actually has a role in this things could get interesting very fast. I remember Lucas saying in 1980 or so that Ep 7-9 would be about the rebuilding of the Old Republic. He tends to use what he has, and even if he is only in a creative role, I wouldn't be surprised if they work from that framework. Ah, idle speculation about Star Wars...it's like riding a bike.

21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Don't forget about script girl!

22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Good, goood.

First post in years. Looking fwd to rejoining the madness

23. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    This will be interesting.

24. captain_trips

captain_trips Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    First one I saw in theatres was Return of The Jedi... I was 4 or 5 years old when it was released, and though I dont have much prior knowledge of seeing IV or V prior on vhs (my dad swore I watched them as a kid), I do remember a bit from ROTJ on the big screen :)

I also remember the rereleases and seeing the prequel saga and being super pumped and in teen's to early 20's.

Now I get to take my own family to see 7, 8 and 9... as they will be the same age as I was when I first saw ROTJ when they are released.

25. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Man, I can't wait for the first real juicy rumors to start flying!